Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all! I'm 2.5 months out from being sleeved (SW- 265)... I'm just not getting my Protein in. I've tried multiple (and if anyone wants the lbs and lbs of powder with 1 scoop used, I'll happily send it to get it out of my kitchen) MULTIPLE Protein powders. Both plain and flavored. I can't find any that I don't gag after 2 sips. I'm not sure if it's a texture thing or what...

Anyhow, I maybe get 20-30g of protein a day... And yes, I know that's way too low. I'm at my wits end on what to do. I eat as often as I can. However, I can't even consume 1/3rd of a chicken breast before reaching the puke point. I've tried softer things (cottage cheese, tuna, yogurt, etc...) but it's still at about the 1/3 cup point that I start to get that full feeling.

I'm looking for ANY suggstions. No, I haven't talked to my NOT because I don't have one. My insurance doesn't cover it and my surgeon's office doesn't have one.

Any suggestions for protein boost??

Thanks!

i can't do powders but i can do the premier Protein. and it's only 11oz so it's not too hard to drink. there are some yogurts that have 13g or Protein (chobani). also pumpkin seeds and such have lots of protein. bison/buffalo has a lot as well.

I definitely think you should talk to your surgeon's office if you don't have a NUT. You have got to get in your Protein.

Based on what you described I would suggest that you eat frequent small meals and Snacks throughout the day. If you can only eat 1/3 of cottage cheese or yogurt at a time then you may need to eat more often.

another vote for premier Protein. Even 4 years out, i have a hard time hitting the targets without it.

You can also do Protein Bars - but warning - the high carb content and candy like nature of many of them can give you problems over the long run. For now, might be a good way to get you to your Protein targets though. My target is now 80-100 g which is WORK even with a "mature" sleeve.

If you are 2.5 months out, then you should be on solids, right? Have you tried any Protein bars? I started with Quest Bars, but they changed one of the main ingredients and they don't agree with me anymore, so I now eat Combat Crunch bars. If you are having trouble eating very much at one time, then I agree with @@Inner Surfer Girl that you should try maybe eating lots of snacks/mini meals throughout the day. I eat 6 times a day usually.

Yeah, the powders made me throw up every time, even tried them again just to see at about 7 months, and same thing. They just make me gag even smelling them.

I'm using Boost glucose control (usually all the diabetes nutrition shakes are much lower carb) shakes now - purchased both at HEB and Krogers. They have 16 grams of Protein and 16 grams of carbs, and they are pretty good. There have to be some Protein Shakes out there you can drink, so I'd suggest you try a few different ones and see if you could find one that works. Then drink several a day to supplement your Protein until such time as you can get the solid protein up to a decent level.

I eat a whole lot of eggs and soy sausage, canned tuna or chicken salads, baked fish (Swai fish is cheap and high protein and really easy to get down because it's so soft). And high protein milk (like Fairlife or Mootopia from HEB... if you're an Aggie, I suspect you might live in Texas, so check it out - one 8oz glass has 12 grams protein and only 6 carbs).

I was having the same problem as you pre surgery. I ended up finding the Premier Protein shakes at costco that are pre- made. In the beginning before surgery I would just gulp it down all at once and fingers crossed hope to keep it down. As I got use to it I actually started to enjoy them. They have 30'grams of Protein and 1 gram of sugar.

I doctor up Premier Protein with different flavoring sometimes. The Protein I really like the most is Atkins. They only have 15g per serving, but 15 is better than nothing if you're way low. You could the powder with Fairlife milk to boost protein even more. I buy the ready to drink kind and they are the most like chocolate milk to me.

I second what Inner Surfer Girl suggested. Also of the things you can eat, like the cottage cheese and yogurt, have you tried mixing in a little of the unflavored Protein powders into those things? I know for me early on I was struggling with getting Protein in and the flavored powder mixes were just too sweet tasting to me. I went with ISO pure unflavored and was mixing it into my tomato/crème of chicken Soups. It didn't alter the flavoring that much and I was able to gain a few more grams of protein in a day.
As for seeking out a nutritionist, if your surgeon's office doesn't have one on staff, what about your primary care doctor's office?

I definitely think you should talk to your surgeon's office if you don't have a NUT. You have got to get in your protein.

Based on what you described I would suggest that you eat frequent small meals and Snacks throughout the day. If you can only eat 1/3 of cottage cheese or yogurt at a time then you may need to eat more often.

Have you tried the Body Fortress chocolate Protein powder from Walmart? I love it. chocolate is the only flavor I can stand.

eggs and nuts are good sources of Protein.

Y'all are awesome! Thank you for the suggestions. I'm open to try anything... I'm going to see my surgeon's office next week, so I definitely will discuss.

Very keen @@FrankiesGirl, yes, I'm an Aggie and a TX girl!

I'm trying all these ideas!