Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Staying on track when you're under the weather

I have been feeling crummy for the past couple days, I guess with a cold (sore throat, headache, generally feeling 'blah'). It's the first time I've been sick since surgery, and I'm wondering how to stay on track--both with food and with exercise.

My old go-to foods when I was sick are things that I no longer eat--cinnamon toast, Kraft mac-and-cheese, Mrs. Grass noodle Soup. When I'm sick, I don't feel like spending time in the kitchen making healthy Soups and stuff from scratch, so I'm not sure what to do, besides survive on Protein shakes and bars.

I also worry about not getting my normal physical activity in while I'm taking it easy. I use a fitness tracker, and my daily number of steps has completely tanked the past couple days, since I'm lying around a lot more and haven't gone to the gym or on my regular walks. I'm not sure what to do about this... I certainly don't want to push myself too hard, make it worse, and end up sicker than I was in the first place.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

First of all, don't worry about your exercise. You will make yourself worse if you don't give your body a chance to fight off the illness.

Second of all, I was just sick this past week and I too was missing warm, comfort foods. I ended up drinking a lot of hot green tea with soy milk mixed in and I went to the store and checked every Soup in the soup aisle until I found the one with the most Protein (15 grams per cup). It was a white bean chicken chili in a bag, not a can. I had that for a couple of meals (though I couldn't actually eat a full cup, it's very chunky). But I mostly lived on my Protein Bars just to make sure I was getting my minimums in.

I had a chest infection recently and went right off food. I stuck to Protein Latte, Protein Drinks and bars and gave the exercise up for a week. Listen to your body, rest, take it easy and you should be fine in no time :)

I've been sick too and have been sticking with Protein shakes and bars and trying to get extra water/Powerade. I am struggling with taking medication. I took some mucinex D and a cough medicine the other night and it produced severe abdominal pain; I almost went to the ER. Now I am trying to stick to sudafed and my humidifier at night for the cough. I've also upped by Vitamin D too. I am worried about getting an upper respiratory infection and needing an antibiotic. I am not exercising because my personal trainer told me your body can't heal itself efficiently from a workout and a cold and said to rest to allow it to heal itself from the cold first.

Hope you feel better.

I have my first full-blown cold since surgery, too and am taking it easy.

As others have said, don't worry about the exercise, just rest and take care of yourself.

I have been eating easy food, too like Protein shakes and bars. I also have Protein Soups (ProtiDiet) left over from my liquid phases and hot tea.

I recently had my first cold almost three months post op and I continued to eat my high Protein meals, pushed fluids and exercised, but for 1/2 hour instead of 45-60 min at a time and I went to bed early for a few nights until I felt better. I did take a rest day on the exercise, but otherwise when I was exercising I felt my sinuses cleared and I felt better and more alert.

Edited by otillie03103

i've had bronchitis since last wednesday. all weekend i slept and took cold meds, barely ate and did not work out even tho i'm a five to six day a week work out person. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. i could barely breath so there was no way i was gonna go do my normal work out without passing out. you'll be ok. p.s. i also didn't eat a bunch of crap during my illness but i did have a baked potato one day and lots of saltines cuz it was all i could really stomach besides broth. you'll b ok. just get better first.

I have heard several people report that after RNY gastric bypass surgery, they seemed to almost be immune to the flu. They attributed this to the extensive Vitamin requirements required after RNY surgery.

I am 32 months post op and the first time I had the flu since surgery was a couple weeks ago. It was fairly mild compared to several years ago when I use to get the flu every year and it would last for 3 months and then work its way into my lungs for a serious case of bronchitis. Anyways I am treating it with my own formula of essential oils and rather pleased with the results.

In your case, lauraellen80, you had the sleeve and as a result do not have the same regiment of Vitamins. So in addition to the above recommendations of others, I would add make sure that you take a good Multivitamin every day if you are not currently taking them. As we get older, our bodies do not produce the same levels of Vitamin in our system like when we were young and carefree. So it becomes important to supplement.

Me, too. Woke with a cold on Sunday. Here's the thing: a certain amount of snot is going down the back of my throat and getting swallowed. I feel like I am full with the stuff in my stomach.
What are you all taking for congestion, because the dayquil gel caps have given me heartburn from hell.

Also, the coughing is making the underside of my incisions sore... is that normal?

I'm taking my Multivitamin, Calcium, and Biotin as usual. I've been pushing fluids even more than usual and drinking Propel and Powerade Zero which have added Vitamins and electrolytes.

I've always been one to catch respiratory stuff. I had strep and pneumonia many times as a kid. So this is pretty typical for me, sleeve or no.

I'm not really congested, it's more sore throat than anything, so I can't be of help in suggesting what to take for that.

Thanks for the suggestions, all. Feeling better this evening.

@@James Marusek Sleeve patients are supposed to be on bariatric mulitivitamins, calcium citrate, and B12 for life.

Me, too. Woke with a cold on Sunday. Here's the thing: a certain amount of snot is going down the back of my throat and getting swallowed. I feel like I am full with the stuff in my stomach.

What are you all taking for congestion, because the dayquil gel caps have given me heartburn from hell.

Also, the coughing is making the underside of my incisions sore... is that normal?

I have been taking Tylenol Cold Multisymptom (liquid). I have both the day and night versions.

@@James Marusek Sleeve patients are supposed to be on bariatric mulitivitamins, calcium citrate, and B12 for life.

Didn't know that.

Didn't know that.

Yep! While we don't have the potential malabsorbtion issues that bypass patients have, we are still very restricted in how much we can eat and therefor are unlikely to get all the needed Vitamins and minerals from food alone. Obviously, the Vitamins I listed are the starting point. Blood work can help us fine-tune as needed.