Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't know enough about DS.In late December I got a revision from lapband to bypass...very happy with bypass so far but it is early.

You need a highly skilled surgeon for these procedures.

Asking a question is good, but I recommend you do extensive research from major bariatric surgery center of excellence hospitals, JAMA, ASMBS and other respected publications, attend a WLS informational meeting, WLS support group meetings and discuss your findings and concerns with your PCP and surgeon to address your specific medical needs.

Good luck.

find a good surgeon and talk to them about it. The problem with asking people about one vs the other is that each of us can only experience one of them so we can't tell you what the other one was like. Make an appointment with a surgeon and ask them to explain in detain both procedures to you, the pros and cons of each, the side effects of each, describe your lifestyle to them and ask them what they think would be better

the above posters are right - no one can really give an opinion from personal experience unless they've had both surgeries. From what I've read, the DS has better stats (i.e., in general, people tend to lose more weight with it and have an easier time keeping it off), but then, it's a more complicated surgery, has more risks associated with it, fewer surgeons do it, and a lot of insurance policies don't cover it. Although I think either would be a good choice - many people have good success with RNY, too. A surgeon may be able to tell you which would be a better option for you.

It may come down to your surgeon or insurance. My surgeon doesn't do DS because he says the complications risks are too high, for the payout. My insurance also wouldn't cover it pretty much siting the same reason. I went with rny because it seemed like the best option for me at 429lbs. I'm only 2 1/2 months out, but so far, I'm totally pleased with my results and I know it's only going to get better.

I had DS in December. It has been wonderful. My bmi was 49. No complications at all! I can drink all the liquid I feel I need (big cups, no dixie cup strapped to my hand for an hour)! and now Im on a "regular food as tolerated diet". I can already tolerate any food I wish without ill effects. However, I wish far far less, and far far healthier, and I eat far far less and far far healthier! I have shed 6 prescriptions and 59 lbs in 58 days. Diabetes is basically gone. Perfect blood sugar and pressure. I also added 3 lbs of lean muscle already from some average weight lifting. Personally, I like being able to eat more than 3 forks (and because of the malabsorption, you have to eat more than sleavers) and not having to take an hour to do it. I guzzle Water if need be after a workout or if I get behind on my water requirements. No problem. In a day, I usually have two shakes, a Protein Bar, and some fish and im good and happy usually. But i can eat the regular type of foods with a smaller volume that just looks like what a reasonable, skinny, fit, health-conscious person (the folks i used to despise and envy;) would have. Now, keep in mind that my experience is probably ideal. But for me, this is the right choice! Listen to your doc.

Also, I think there is an unfair tendency to overstate that DS is risky. Because it is newer and folks feel threatened that a new kid is on the block. I think the figures now for DS complications are like 1% (rather than .6 % for other types). So naysayers will say its 40% riskier. Thats crap. But even so, keep in mind the folks that have DS have it because they had more problems, co-morbidities and higher BMIs to begin with. Who's to say they'd not have complications with whatever surgery they would have had. Regardless, To me, the risk difference was overblown, mostly by those who are wed to the other surgery types and didnt have ds. I suppose it riskier if you have edward scissorhands as your doc. I think there is a tendency for anyone to defend their skill set or the surgery they had, and if their skill or knowledge of other surgery types is limited, to push you into the surgery they know - which might not be the best choice. Its just might be the only type they are versed in.

Finally (and ill shut up). I have four friends who we all went to the same bariatric clinic. They recommended and performed different surgeries for each of us based on what they felt was best. (sleeve, rny and ds). We all four listened and did as recommended and all had an awesome experience. So, go to a place that is confident and competent in all the surgeries and you'll get the custom fit that is best for you. Go to a guy who only does lap band and guess what he will recommend.... When you only have a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.

Edited by RedWolf