Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeon Weight-loss Expectations at 3 & 6 Months Post OP

Hi Everyone -

Today is officially 3 months since my VSG and I'm conflicted about my progress so far.

Surgery Weight: 429

3 Month Post OP Weight: 355

Total Loss = 74

I really want to be excited and proud about losing 74, in fact I'm celebrating by wearing clothes from years, years past.

The reason I'm conflicted is my surgeon stated that I need to be at my ideal weight by 6 months post-op (my ideal weight is 200). While I'm excited with my results so far, I am NOT on track to be 200 3 months from now. so I feel a little failure/defeat (which as I type this seems crazy).

Did your surgeons/doctors give you similar expectations?

@@ExplosiveAmnesia - No! Jeez....that's 229 pounds in 180 days...that's absurd. Every doctor is different I was given a "range" that is somewhat understandable IMO.

30% around 3 months

50% around 6 months

70% at a year

at 230 pounds to LOSE at 3 months (30%) you we be past that amount (69lbs) - that's if my math is correct.

who is your doctor? I am near Jax.

Wow that seems like way too much to lose that fast to reach that six month goal. My dr gave me a goal of 149 to lose by 18 months out and was truly thrilled when I went for my three month check and had lost just under 60. You are doing great losing so much already in the first three months, be proud of yourself and just keep working.

you have done really well - I would continue on as you have.

So let me get this straight....your doctor wants your to lose 38 lbs a month?! You are already losing 25 lbs per month and that's not satisfactory? I really hope you don't let this get you down. I'm sorry but that doctor is damn insane!

WTF? Why would your surgeon say you need to be at your ideal weight at 6 months? That's completely insane! It took me a year to reach my goal weight and I had a LOT less to lose than you. What is with the rush? Did he give you any sort of rationale for why you have to lose the weight so quickly?

That is crazy. You are doing great. I have a lot of weight to lose and it may take a couple of years to get to my optimal weight. It may even take longer. I think your surgeon's expectations are seriously flawed. Doesn't he have patients who start at a higher BMI or does he only perform surgery on folks with low BMIs?

I also am in Palm Beach County and we might have the same Doctor if yours is in Jupiter. You didn't list your Doctor but I did list mine. If we have the same I believe you misunderstood. My Dr wouldn't give me a 3 month only a 6 month prediction. He stated about 90 pounds which would be about 55% of what I have to lose. He stated usually in the first 3 months you lose faster than the last 3 months of the 6 month honeymoon phrase. I have my surgery on Jan 26th so I have no data to give to you.

If you have a different Doctor I think you better clarify with him what his expectations are as they sound very unhealthy and unobtainable to me. The 75 pounds lost in 3 months is a fantastic amount of weight to lose. Way beyond the amount I would expect to lose. I wouldn't worry about his expected amount. If you follow the program you were given your body will lose as it desires not what you and your Doctor desire. This is not a race but a new lifestyle.

I congratulate you on your weight loss. I too agree that your doctors expectations are obsurd. Keep doing what you are doing and don't let the doctor make you feel like a failure because you are victorious

@@ExplosiveAmnesia

Your surgeon sounds like an idiot. I mean maybe at 1 year would could be at goal but most Doctors don't even estimate you to get into a healthy BMI if you are super morbidly obese. They hope you lose about 60% of your excess weight.

Hi Everyone -

THANK YOU to everyone who made me feel less crazy. I met with my GP (general practitioner) and nutritionist, and both are thrilled with my progress. They say I'm right on track. And while my GP does not specialize in weight-loss, I'm going to follow her guidelines, which match what many of you have said.

It would be awesome to hit my ideal weight in 3 months, but I'm more concerned with hitting healthy targets than racing to the finish line.

OH, by the way, I got my surgery in Arizona with Dr. Graff.

Thanks again!!! I appreciate the support.

@ExplosiveAmnesia do you suppose he meant to say 1/2 of your ideal weight at 6 months and maybe he just mis-spoke ?

That's... insane...

My surgeon gives 60-70% excess weight loss as the average total and likes to see patients lose half of that by the 6 month point. So, 30-35% of excess weight.

Now, I did lose 100% of my excess weight by the 6 month point, HOWEVER--I started at a lower BMI and had lost 25 lbs. (1/4 of my excess weight) before surgery day.

@ExplosiveAmnesia Im so glad that you have a resolution! What a relief you must have felt knowing that you weren't crazy!

You are doing SO well in your progress ... Keep up the GREAT work ! :)

Edited by MrsKarenC2008