Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Out patient gastric sleeve?

i did mine late in the afternoon and was discharged early the next morning (a little before 9am). Surgeon did the leak test as part of the surgery. I could have gone home same day, but they want to make sure patients can walk and get fluids down before they go home, so they keep everyone overnight.

I was done as an outpatient. I was scared at first (yes, me!). But I didn't have any major medical conditions, etc., so... Everything went fine. Arrived ~6:30 AM, left ~12:30. Still doing great. No complications.

Cannot even imagine that there is a reputable surgeon in the US that would even consider doing an outpatient sleeve!! Wow, too much that can go wrong. There would have been no way that I would have ever been able to go home that quickly. Please make sure you do what is best for you and that you are as safe as possible!

I appreciate that everyone shares their experiences but there is alot of assuming that their surgeon's approach is the"only" way. I say find a surgeon with documented great results and below average complications AND THEN TRUST HE OR SHE MIGHT ACTUALLY KNOW SOMETHING.

My lapband was placed in 2001, and I was held captive in a German hospital for DAYS. Around day 4 I told the surgeon I thought I might be having a stroke because I had a perma headache, and feared I might die alone. He wisely relented that I needed fresh air, sunshine and my family and set me free.

In Sept 2011 I had that band removed as an outpatient procedure in the USA. I once again felt terrible. I went in to be checked because I thought something was really wrong. Hindsight, I was probably depressed at the band failure and the spot were the port had been was terribly painful.

In Dec 2011, i was sleeved, technically outpatient but due to my sleep apnea was required to stay the night. That was fairly awesome. I am prone to naseau from anesthesia so they hit me hard with the anti naseau drugs. The 2 other ladies there were very social and the nurse was sweet (and bored). Our biggest challenge was the restroom door was HEAVY and she had to let us in and out in our weakened state...Ha.

My surgeon didn't do leak tests...I know...horrible! But, they have good reason for this and why their techniques evolved.

I am not claiming my way was theonly right way but look at the evidence, surgical centers have excellent results.

@PTA-You need to do some research before making such a broad statement. Outpatient sleeve surgery is a common practice. Mine was done outpatient by a very reputable surgeon who has done hundreds of procedures with positive results.

I do think one of the drivers behind the outpatient surgery is insurance companies. It saves them a couple thousand a day by not having the patient admitted.

That's awesome you were able to do it outpatient , I couldn't imagine doing it like that. I was there for 2 days. The gas pain was horrible and I couldn't stop throwing up. I am not sensitive to anesthesia so I'm assuming my stomach just couldn't handle being stapled but they weren't able to do the leak test on me until the next day and I vomited through the whole thing. Once that got controlled they said I could go the next morning and j have been fine since. Still get some nausea but nothing like I had. I had the surgery 3 weeks ago.

Just cause it's outpatient procedure doesn't mean they don't make sure you are ok. I know the wanted to verify that I could hold down fluids, urinate and walk around before they let me go. I had a late afternoon surgery and then told me to pack for the night in case I was not able to complete these items.

Well here is the update on this post. I was sleeved at noon yesterday--went home at 5:30 p.m. It is difficult to drink, and the gas discomfort is pretty awful--but I am up and walking around, making my own Decaf tea, drinking watered down sugar free drinks, urinating regularly etc. My surgeon is very reputable. He is a Manhattan, NY surgeon, who went to Albert Einstein Medical School--one of the best in the country. I also have a finger-tip pulse and oxygen count, another item that measures my in breath and I have my surgeon's personal cell phone number. I should also note that I had non co-morbidities. I am 90 pounds over weight and 36 years old--which was a huge reason I opted for the out-patient. Also, I paid for myself--and in NY it is not cheap. I saved 4,000 by using a surgical center instead of staying over in a hospital. Thank you for all of your experiences, I am very sleepy, haven't thrown up once--even though sometimes I feel a little nauseated, and I am working hard to keep up with my liquid/protein intake and managing my pain just fine.

I feel so glad that I have found all of you on this forum,

Even though we are all combating obesity, I think it is important that we are not all the same in every other health aspect.

I'll update you all soon,

Leilie

Cannot even imagine that there is a reputable surgeon in the US that would even consider doing an outpatient sleeve!! Wow, too much that can go wrong. There would have been no way that I would have ever been able to go home that quickly. Please make sure you do what is best for you and that you are as safe as possible!

As I mentioned in my post my surgery was technically outpatient but I spent the night on the hospital. The way it was explained to me that after I was out of recovery I had 24 hours as outpatient and then they either discharge you or admit you as inpatient. They would have never sent me home if I still needed hospital care.

This was at an extremely teputable and successful Center of Excellemce.

so glad to have found this thread! i am scheduled for out patient on Jan 27th with a very reputable surgeon and surgery center. it is right at the same area as one of the best hospitasl in the southeast so i feel comfortable with the decision. i will not know what time my surgery is until the day before but i will see the doctor again the morning after surgery to remove drain and make sure everything is good to go before heading home. we will stay in a hotel across from the hospital that night in order to avoid an hour drive back home and then back again the next morning. i was nervous about it at first but these are some of the leading doctors in the procedure and most patients of theirs have gone this route!

It's natural to be nervous and there are pros and cons. The very high BMI people, my practice does in a hospital but I think that had alot to do with the weight capacity of their tables etc. They also do that if the patient wants it, but their default is the surgical center which is right next door to the hospital. One of the pros to the surgical center is they don't have sick people there - ha!

Anyway, sounds like your arrangement is great - mine was a center of excellence with a great track record and it sounds like yours is too.

Because mine was outpatient, but I did stay the night, they loaded me up with IV fluids that morning because for MOST people dehydration is one of their biggest "risks" in the early weeks post op and getting off to a very hydrated start maybe helped.

so glad to have found this thread! i am scheduled for out patient on Jan 27th with a very reputable surgeon and surgery center. it is right at the same area as one of the best hospitasl in the southeast so i feel comfortable with the decision. i will not know what time my surgery is until the day before but i will see the doctor again the morning after surgery to remove drain and make sure everything is good to go before heading home. we will stay in a hotel across from the hospital that night in order to avoid an hour drive back home and then back again the next morning. i was nervous about it at first but these are some of the leading doctors in the procedure and most patients of theirs have gone this route!

@LEILE Great to read that your surgery went well! Keep us in the loop!

So, I had my surgery Wednesday in the morning and left the surgery center Wednesday around 6:00 p.m. I have been so tired and having to keep fluids in and get up every few hours and walk around has been really a serious job. You all give me so much hope. I have no clue as to how you all were able to consume 64 oz per day--I cannot do it yet. And I haven't been able to get 50 grams of Protein in either. Every day is getting better. But my first day home I cursed out my husband twice--and had a wicked attitude. I have since apologized and I am learning that I do not do so well with pain. I am off heavy pain medication now and am just taking ex strength tylenol as needed--and that seems to do the trick. I wanted to know if any of you made your own smoothies (not store bought) and what you put in them.

Even though this has been so physically painful, I am so glad that I allowed medical professionals (surgeon) to help me with my medical problem (obesity) and I am forever grateful that there is a community of those who have walked this journey before me. Thank you everyone for sharing your paths.

Leilie

So, I had my surgery Wednesday in the morning and left the surgery center Wednesday around 6:00 p.m. I have been so tired and having to keep fluids in and get up every few hours and walk around has been really a serious job. You all give me so much hope. I have no clue as to how you all were able to consume 64 oz per day--I cannot do it yet. And I haven't been able to get 50 grams of Protein in either. Every day is getting better. But my first day home I cursed out my husband twice--and had a wicked attitude. I have since apologized and I am learning that I do not do so well with pain. I am off heavy pain medication now and am just taking ex strength tylenol as needed--and that seems to do the trick. I wanted to know if any of you made your own smoothies (not store bought) and what you put in them.

Even though this has been so physically painful, I am so glad that I allowed medical professionals (surgeon) to help me with my medical problem (obesity) and I am forever grateful that there is a community of those who have walked this journey before me. Thank you everyone for sharing your paths.

Leilie

Awesome to hear the update. I already told my hubby and two kids that I'm sorry if I get snappy while I'm hurting right after! ;)

I have some recipe books for smoothies but haven't made any yet so I'm excited to hear about others recipes too! Also iced drinks. Every time I try to make a frozen drink it somehow becomes frothy. Yuck