Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Out patient gastric sleeve?

Has anyone had their gastric sleeve performed at a surgery center and sent home that day? I am curious about this. Thanks.

I just had my surgery December 28th, and I could not IMAGINE doing it as an outpatient procedure. They did way too much stuff in the hours and couple of days after surgery, that I just couldn't fathom the risk of doing it as an outpatient procedure. Just my opinion.

Thanks Craig. I am having my surgery on Wednesday as an outpatient, and I am a little nervous.

My friend had it done outpatient and was just fine. I could have gone home same day and been fine. Everyone's experience is different.

I'm very surprised that it is even done as an outpatient procedure. They had to do an incredible amount of stuff to me in the 0-48 hours after surgery. Lots of meds, IV fluids, blood thinner shots, and so on, diet, walking, labs, vitals. Knowing how much they had to do with me after surgery, I wouldn't have opted for an outpatient procedure.

I am 36 years old with no co-morbidities, and 90 pounds overweight. I am also self-pay and my procedure is being done in NY. I am hoping for the best. Good to hear Jess.

I am 36 years old with no co-morbidities, and 90 pounds overweight. I am also self-pay and my procedure is being done in NY. I am hoping for the best. Good to hear Jess.

That is probably the major difference. I am about 180# overweight, with severe sleep apnea, hypertension, and pre-diabetic.

Mine was at a hospital and was technically outpatient even though I spent one night in the hospital. I know of some folks who go home the same day.

Craig,

I am guessing that was a major factor for my surgeon. My mother was over 300 pounds my entire life and had an awful time (she was only 5' 3") but she never had any co-morbidities until she hit 50. Now she is insulin dependent and very sick. I think watching her struggle and watching my own struggle really made me decide to get this procedure. Congratulations on having your surgery and I hope you continue to post your progress!

Leilie

Thanks Inner surf girl, that is good to know.

I had my surgery around 6 am in the morning and was released around 1 pm that afternoon. Was perfectly fine/comfortable/healthy. Took pain meds for less than 48 hours and was pretty much 85-90% within 5 days.

It was an amazing experience with zero complications/regrets!

The very next morning I go back for the leak test. Glad to hear it Brown Eyed Tx Girl. I cannot believe my surgery is this coming Wednesday--I feel terrified and grateful at the same time.

I had mine done as an outpatient and 4 of the other 5 people I know also did it outpatient. The one that didn't went to a different surgeon. I'm glad I was in my own bed to recover and managed my pain and nausea meds on my own timing.

I am so glad to know that many people have done this on an out patient basis--and have been okay doing this. I am of course both terrified and really glad about having the gastric sleeve. On this coming Wednesday I am having my surgery and I am so glad I found this site. Thanks for all of your responses--I sincerely appreciate it.

Leilie