Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dumb question - I hope it won't offend

I'm having VSG next Saturday in Tijuana. Can I drink the Water? Or should I plan on buying bottled water somewhere? Someone told me I shouldn't even drink the water or ice chips at the hospital. That can't be......

I'm having VSG next Saturday in Tijuana. Can I drink the Water? Or should I plan on buying bottled Water somewhere? Someone told me I shouldn't even drink the water or ice chips at the hospital. That can't be......

As a frequent traveler to TJ and other parts of Mexico...do not drink tap water ever and I would avoid ice chips unless I was assured by the hospital that the water is purified. Even such things as brushing teeth should be done with bottled water. I would assume the hospital provides such bottles but if you are worried, take a 12 pack from the US

I had surgery in TJ in October. You need to stick with bottled Water. The hotel room I stayed in had a filtered Water faucet for drinking. The water and ice chips in the hospital is filtered so you are ok with that. I wouldn't worry about taking water with you. It isn't worth the hassle and you can just buy it while there.

I drank the Water in a cup provided in the clinic. Even if it wasn't from a bottle the facility does have a Water purifier. the hotel provided free bottled water. But I did eat popscicles from a local street vendor....hibiscus, peach and pineapple....yum! Didn't even think about it at the time but I imagine they were not made with purified water. I also drank tea at Starbucks. My sister drank coffee at Starbucks a couple times/day. She also drank the water with ice cubes in the restaurant at the Marriott and I had their chicken broth a couple times. Neither of us had any digestive problems.

Depending on where you are staying, there are plenty of places to pick up bottled beverages. I got pedialyte from Walmart and Isopure from GNC while there. Unfortunately the Isopure was gross and made me gag, so it went down the drain.

Edited by Kindle

Just my opinion, but I'd be leaning towards bottled so that there is no question. You don't want to be sick with a healing tummy!

It's going to be a challenge to meet Fluid requirements if I don't feel the Water supply is safe. I guess I'll have to buy lots of bottled Water at the airport when I land.

It's going to be a challenge to meet Fluid requirements if I don't feel the Water supply is safe. I guess I'll have to buy lots of bottled Water at the airport when I land.

Don't waste your money. Depending on when you get there, you are not allowed to drink or eat the day prior to surgery, and they generally provide what you need after. I had my surgery in TJ and had no issues. I had popsicle, broth, and apple juice. I did not have water until i was on the return flight home. The bottled water you buy will just be something extra for you to carry and you may not even be able to drink it.

Hello Everyone,

I live in TJ. So let me give the truth about the Water in Mexico.

Please, please stick to BOTTLED WATER!!! Do not ever drink Water from the tap.

The Hospitals we work with will provide you purified water and ice chips, nothing to worry about there.

Allways request bottled water at the hotels and any restaurants you visit and make sure that the bottles are sealed. Our recovery houses have water coolers and we alway use purified bottled water.

If you have any questions regarding your upcoming visit to Mexico, you are welcomed to contact me.

Happy New Year!!!

I had my surgery on 12/29/15 I still crave sweet why please give me some advices and what should I do .

You had surgery on your stomach, not your brain. Nothing you can do about your cravings except not give in to them. All those Protein shakes are super sweet, they ought to help mentally. A lot of people eat sugar free popscicles and Jello, too. But don't start eating carbs or it will just make you crave more carbs. The best thing you can do is follow your surgeons postop instructions and focus on Protein and fluids at this point.

Did you have counseling or therapy before surgery? Didn't they give you any options for developing new habits and coping mechanisms? Are you actively working on the psychological aspect of WLS? You're in this for the long haul, so if you don't think you can handle the head games part of this process, you should seek professional help.

Look for Vitalicious products on line at Vitalicious.com or in the healthy snack section of frozen foods of most chain grocery stores. There are VitaTops and Others, I prefer the. VitaBrownies, they are all around 100 calories. All you can do is try them and maybe try to limit yourself to one per day or only when you really crave something. I had the same problem. I had sleeve done on May 3rd 2015 and am down 47lbs. I also do.Weight Watchers. So do some other people who have had bariatric surgey. You still have to be careful what you eat. I'm just getting over hitting a plateau, this can happen also. But it is all still worth it!!