Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much should i be eating

Im about a month out of surgery. My question is how much food should i be eating? Im still on Clear Liquids and mushy food, Soup, Jello. Etc. When i was in the hospital i was given 4oz of brooth. Im just wondering if thats how much i should be eating of soup or anything. Thank you. I will contact my doctor but i just want your opinions on this.

Edited by greeneyezz

yeah, your NUT should have given you guidelines at a month out I could eat more of some things (like soup) than others, but generally could eat only around 2 ounces. broth is different as it is a liquid - still could only drink sips but it goes right through, whereas when I ate food - even though it was mushy - example - refried beans....2 ounces was hard to finish. Of course, Protein Shakes go through rather quickly, which is why they are still so important for you because you can't possibly eat enough Protein yet.

According to your stats, you are showing the type of surgery that you had as Lap-Band but you are posting under the Gastric Bypass section. So I am guessing that you had a revision from lap-band to RNY gastric bypass surgery. If that is the case then the following applies.

First, you should have received specific instructions that detail all the requirements. The types of foods and the volume of foods as a function of time since surgery are detailed in these instructions.

After RNY surgery, the most important elements are meeting the daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight. To meet your Protein requirements, generally you need to rely on protein supplements (Protein shakes and later protein bars) to meet these goals. Your protein requirement is met by a combination of the protein you obtain from meals combined with the protein you obtain from supplements. Right after surgery you meal size is so minuscule (2 ounces per meal) that you must obtain your protein from Protein Shakes. But as time goes on and your meal volume increases, if you concentrate on consuming high protein meals, you can start to reduce the amount of protein you obtain from supplements.

Fluids are a combination of the Water you drink during the day, other drinks such as crystal light, tea, Decaf coffee, hot cocoa (using no-sugar added cocoa), milk, the Water you consume when you take your Vitamins, the water you use when you make Soup. So it is the Fluid part of what you consume each day.

Vitamins are extremely important if you had RNY surgery. This is because you body no longer converts food into vitamins. Without Vitamin supplements, you will become vitamin deficient and many medical conditions will come into play.

For the first 4 weeks following surgery - full liquids - 2 ounces (1/4 cup) per meal

Weeks 5-8 - pureed foods - 2 ounces

Weeks 9-15 - solid food - 3 ounces

And these requirements evolve all the way up to a full cup at 18 months.

Also, it really depends on the type of surgery that you underwent. The requirements of gastric sleeve are different than RNY gastric bypass. There is also surgery called mini gastric bypass that has completely different requirements. So follow the doctors directions. He should have provided you with specific detailed directions.