Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice that makes you crazy.

:angry:

I have a peeve. And it helps me be self destructive. When I'm doing something healthy for myself and someone looks at me seriously and tells me to do A. B. C. when I just finished telling them that I'm doing A. B. C.... I want to hold them down and pee on them.

Then go have a pizza.

Made of brownies.

Does that just irk anyone else?

Edited by RoscoColetrain

As an example. I'm starting to go my pre-op low carb, low fat, low taste diet.

I say to my mother... I'm doin yadda yadda. It's hard but I'm doing it.

Mom replies: Well what you should do is eat low carb, low fat, low taste.

I'm already doing that.

Well you've got to do it anyway. Try harder.

repeat this a dozen times or so, then progress to.

What are you doing on the computer?

Looking for a sale on wood chippers.

Probably didn't make you laugh but it did make me.

That is when you say: "Gee, thanks. I wish I'd thought of that!", with a big smile. Then walk away.

Like when Doctors used to tell me I needed to lose weight.

From my GP in the UK (where most doctors frown on WLS because it takes up too much of their health area's budget) when I told him that I was going abroad for private surgery he said "why don't you try Portion Control? ". I felt like saying that it was my body's idea of 'portion control' that got me into this state in the first place!!!!!!! WTF is in some of those medical brains? Answers welcome!

Edited by jintycb

Really though, you should go low carb, low flavor, low fat, low calorie.........

:D

I hear ya on the pet peeves.

Weight loss is a frequent topic in my daily conversations, folks see a change occurring and most are supportive and well wishing.....but some are like freaking Rain Main and hung up on metrics. "So, man, what's the number now? What's the scale read? Whatcha weighing these days?". Makes me want to break out into a Mountain Troll skit and say loudly, "I've lost a Hobbit that was riding on my back........now I'm gonna eat your donkey.......grrrrr nom nom nom ggrrgggg."

We post the numbers here, yeah, sure.......but in daily life it just gets under my skin for some reason.

I appreciate their interest......but damnitman.....leave the numbers out of it.

I think I'll just start making up silly numbers for them. "Yup....I've lost 7 pounds so far." "Yup......I've lost 2,200 pounds so far" Or................"about a 1/2 a medium rock".

Freaking Rain Man is everywhere !!!!!

Makes me want to go have a Protein shake and eat a hardboiled egg......and go fart on them afterwards.

Seems like having WLS gives people some crazy idea that they can ask personal questions they would never ask anyone on a "normal diet". I have lost weight before and no one ever barged in and asked for a number or gave advice. Now, the majority of people want to know how much, and give advice. It is super annoying but I try to just let it roll of my back. I know most of my friends and family are super supportive of just a little nosy.

One of my biggest rants is the few ( I have only had three people ask this and they are people who I only see like once a year) who ask "So, have you started gaining any weight back yet?" My response to all three of these butts have been... "Oh no, as a matter of fact I just dropped a few more pounds and I have to work really hard not to keep losing a lot more. I don't want to get too thin at my age. Sometimes it's a struggle to get all my calories in and I have to resort to eating chocolate or cakes."

This is such a lie, I work my butt off for every pound lost- but I remember when I was heavy I detested people who used to say they couldn't keep their weight up and would lose so easily. After I said that it shut all of them up and then they all started moaning about how they wish they had that problem and everything they ate made them gain weight.

That's ok after a slip I did gain a few pounds back. A close family friend had the nerve to say to her new partner "see I told ya that weight lost surgery crap don't work look at her she is back fat again".

Really though, you should go low carb, low flavor, low fat, low calorie.........

Weight loss is a frequent topic in my daily conversations, folks see a change occurring and most are supportive and well wishing.....but some are like freaking Rain Main and hung up on metrics. "So, man, what's the number now? What's the scale read? Whatcha weighing these days?". Makes me want to break out into a Mountain Troll skit and say loudly, "I've lost a Hobbit that was riding on my back........now I'm gonna eat your donkey.......grrrrr nom nom nom ggrrgggg."

We post the numbers here, yeah, sure.......but in daily life it just gets under my skin for some reason.

I think I'll just start making up silly numbers for them. "Yup....I've lost 7 pounds so far." "Yup......I've lost 2,200 pounds so far" Or................"about a 1/2 a medium rock".

Makes me want to go have a Protein shake and eat a hardboiled egg......and go fart on them afterwards.

I made up my mind right after surgery not to share numbers. So, when someone asks I just tell them that. I tell them I have lost "a lot" and don't share specific numbers. They seem to get the idea and don't keep asking.

Yep, I know people that live on the scale. It would drive me insane. That constant checking and calculating and worrying makes my corneas itch.

I'm fairly used to goofy questions. Riding a motorcycle will get you squarely in that same class of dumb comments.

*take riding gear off, shake the rain off.

Did you ride today? *cue look like they're a golden retriever being teased with a tennis ball.

Nope, elephant carried me in with his trunk.

For the most part I have fun with it. When it's the same stuff from the same person over and over I begin to become more of the typical grumpy IT troll in the basement though.

I used to like to say, "I've lost an Olsen Twin" and let them figure out which one! Seriously though, now that it's been more than 2 years, its not even a discussion anymore. I still get the occasional, "you look great", but its no longer a focus for people who know me.

I used to like to say, "I've lost an Olsen Twin" and let them figure out which one! Seriously though, now that it's been more than 2 years, its not even a discussion anymore. I still get the occasional, "you look great", but its no longer a focus for people who know me.

I had a hair dresser who used to say his mom lost a Backstreet Boy. To reach my goal I'll need to lose all of the Backstreet Boys!

I'll join you in the Protein Shake, hard boiled egg and fart!!!! Sitting here in the UK watching The Hobbit funnily enough but no appetite for one at the moment. Love your posts as they make me laugh out loud! Keep 'em going.

You should just say.....You must be Captain Obvious. DUH My hubby does me that way. He can see me reaching to shut the gate and then says...you better shut the gate.

Yep, I know people that live on the scale. It would drive me insane. That constant checking and calculating and worrying makes my corneas itch.

I'm fairly used to goofy questions. Riding a motorcycle will get you squarely in that same class of dumb comments.

*take riding gear off, shake the rain off.

Did you ride today? *cue look like they're a golden retriever being teased with a tennis ball.

Nope, elephant carried me in with his trunk.

For the most part I have fun with it. When it's the same stuff from the same person over and over I begin to become more of the typical grumpy IT troll in the basement though.

Edited by MIMISAN