Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gain 3 days post op?

I tried so hard to wait a week to get on the scale but I stepped on anyway today (3 days post op) and I've GAINED 2 pounds!!!! Help! Should I cut out the Protein Shakes I just started yesterday? And go back to just all clear liquids!!?

It's IV weight gain - don't fret. Most surgeons load you up with IV liquids after surgery to make sure you are hydrated, knowing that getting in liquids the first 48-72 hours after surgery can be difficult. Stick with the recommendations given you for Protein and Water and the weight will right itself. This is a long process and you will lose your weight at the rate your body dictates - no faster or slower. You will be OK!

You just put your body thru major surgery - you cut out a big portion of an organ. Let your body heal first, then worry about the weight loss. Follow your doctor's plan to a T - do not deviate unless given instructions from his/her office. They know what's best for YOUR recovery.

If you follow the doc's plan, you will lose weight. Be kind and gentle to your body - don't rush this. You didn't to 347 pounds overnight, don't expect to lose it overnight.

My other suggestion - don't weight every day (or multiple times a day). Get on the scale once a week - it will be better for your mind.

You just put your body thru major surgery - you cut out a big portion of an organ. Let your body heal first, then worry about the weight loss. Follow your doctor's plan to a T - do not deviate unless given instructions from his/her office. They know what's best for YOUR recovery.

If you follow the doc's plan, you will lose weight. Be kind and gentle to your body - don't rush this. You didn't to 347 pounds overnight, don't expect to lose it overnight.

My other suggestion - don't weight every day (or multiple times a day). Get on the scale once a week - it will be better for your mind.

This.......

Agree with McButterpants... Focus on the fluids and Protein and don't worry about the scale. Your body is probably just holding on to excess Water to help it heal. :)

The scale is your worst enemy right now! Sip,sip, sip. Walk, walk, walk. Get as much Protein as you can in. And just focus on your healing!

I tried so hard to wait a week to get on the scale but I stepped on anyway today (3 days post op) and I've GAINED 2 pounds!!!! Help! Should I cut out the Protein shakes I just started yesterday? And go back to just all clear liquids!!?

Please stay off the scale, especially if your first response to a weight fluctuation is to restrict your Protein.< /p>

Protein is absolutely critical to healing and weight loss. DO NOT cut back on fluids and protein.

Follow your program. Focus on getting in ALL of your protein and fluids. Take your Vitamins and supplements when and as directed. Exercise. Walking is great until you are cleared for more strenuous exercise.

Sip, sip, sip,

And, STAY OFF THE SCALE. If you are going to let the numbers on the scale dictate how you are feeling, then please consider only weighing at your doctors appointments for the first few months.

Just as a heads up, you will lose weight, and the numbers on the scale will fluctuate in the short term.

I was up 8 pounds 2 days post op and was so upset. Some pals on here told me this can happen because all the IVs. Now I'm 7 days post op and down a total of 10 pounds since surgery. Hang in there that Fluid weight will drop plus more.

I agree with @@Inner Surfer Girl that your instinct to cut out your Protein shakes is scary. Protein needs to be one of your absolute TOP priorities right now and moving forward. Don't risk your health.

????

I agree it is IV weight. I was sleeved 12/14 and gained 7 lbs. It took five days to loose it and now I am finally less than my surgery day weight. After 2 c-sections I knew it would happen so I wasn't worried. But the first major surgery it is very upsetting I know!

It's IV weight gain - don't fret. Most surgeons load you up with IV liquids after surgery to make sure you are hydrated, knowing that getting in liquids the first 48-72 hours after surgery can be difficult. Stick with the recommendations given you for Protein and Water and the weight will right itself. This is a long process and you will lose your weight at the rate your body dictates - no faster or slower. You will be OK!

I appreciate your post ...I am 5 days post op and was surprised to get on the scales and see that I had gained about 3-4 lbs. I have been very bloated and swollen. Thankfully no major ongoing pain other than when taking in liquids at times and I assume I am having some kind of muscle spasms in my stomach.