Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm glad to hear that the Hair loss stops eventually (I mean, before I run out of hair of course). I started losing alot of hair about four months post op. I used to have long dark hair, but I was losing so much hair, that I had it cut really short. When I went to get it cut, the woman who cut my hair had to excuse herself and go wash her hands because my hair was clinging to her fingers. I was so embarrassed. Now that my hair is so short, it appears that I'm losing less (even though I know I'm still losing the same number of hairs, the hairs are just shorter). I started using K-Pac (a protien pack for hair) every day and that has definetly helped. I will start using the Nioxin Shampoo and see if that helps too. I now have a bald spot on the top of my head. If the hair loss gets much worse, I may want to have the band removed. I don't want to look like a cancer patient. Plus, I have to wonder, if my body feels like it can no longer support the growth of hair, what other parts of my body does it feel like it can't support? I'm a bit worried. I will hang in there and wait and see for now.

Edited by oregon

I have heard with WLS hair loss is expected. However, I went to my second appointment in August for a fill and saw the coordinator of the program and she commented that my hair is beautiful. I told her I was surprised that I haven't lost any hair. She told me I'm not losing my hair because I get more than enough Protein a day.

Since the beginning of the week when I shower I have a handful of hair, more than usual. So now I'm starting to lose my hair in gobs. I have 100 + grams of Protein a day so I don't understand why the sudden Hair loss.< /p>

Does anyone know of any other reasons for the hair loss? I am just a little more than 3 months out from my surgery.

It happened to me at about 3 months out too. I tried everything from Biotin pills to Nioxin shampoo- nothing would work! Trust me, I too was taking in a TON of protien and it still happened! It did stop thouhg about 2 months after it started...once I began eating an all around diet. This includes the dreaded carb every once and a while... I used to NEVER eat carbs, so maybe it has something to do with the lack of everything thing else other than protien- who knows! It will stop though, good luck!

Ive been banded for 14 months now and am still loosing tons of hair! my hair was already thin,now its just horrible, i take my Vitamins, plenty of Protein, Biotin, and all my blood work came back fine! i dont know what to do!

Does the Biotin come in liquid or chewable forms?

I just had my 2nd fill yesterday and am very tight. I do not think it would be a good idea for me to take a pill.

I am almost 3 months post-op. I am not sure if I am shedding more hair than I normally do or not. Today my hair does not feel thinner, but it just seems like I am finding more shed hairs on clothing and such.

I already avoid social situations because of my weight. Hair loss would make it worse. I feel like my hair is one of my best features and I can't afford hair loss because my hair is already very fine.

I want to treat it ASAP and will try anything and everything. I am very afraid to swallow a pill at this point. I am drinking plenty of Protein Shakes, but fear that I am shedding more hair than normal.:(

Does the Biotin come in liquid or chewable forms?

I just had my 2nd fill yesterday and am very tight. I do not think it would be a good idea for me to take a pill.

I am almost 3 months post-op. I am not sure if I am shedding more hair than I normally do or not. Today my hair does not feel thinner, but it just seems like I am finding more shed hairs on clothing and such.

I already avoid social situations because of my weight. Hair loss would make it worse. I feel like my hair is one of my best features and I can't afford hair loss because my hair is already very fine.

I want to treat it ASAP and will try anything and everything. I am very afraid to swallow a pill at this point. I am drinking plenty of Protein shakes, but fear that I am shedding more hair than normal.:seeya:

The Biotin I have is in pill form. I got it at GNC. I think I"m going to start taking that again. If you feel too tight right now then I guess I would wait until you don't feel that much restriction before I try to take a pill. Also, you could check with GNC to see if they have biotin in liquid form.

Good luck!

You can get Biotin as part of a multi-Vitamin. I like Trader Joe's High Potency chewables. They taste pretty good, and have 100% of the daily requirement for Biotin, zinc and other minerals important to maintain healthy hair. They also have 50% of the daily Iron requirement, which is VERY important for healthy hair. Don't take Calcium within 2 hr of taking Iron, as the Calcium will affect the iron's absorption. Multivits that contain both usually have very low calcium content.

Shampoos will not help, as it does not reach the roots. Your hair is already dead, so it can't revive it. Other hair treatments are meant for genetic Hair loss, so it will not help in this case. Just be patient, eat your Protein and take a your vits & minerals.

there is no trader joe's in my state, but I did some looking in stores here and online. I ended up ordering some sublingual lozenges from www.BariatricChoice.com

They have a mega does of B-12 and have 300mg of Biotin. I figure I need the B-12 anyway.

Make sure you are supplementing your Protein. Unjury is great. It will minimize the Hair loss. I find that when I slack off, I get those scary clumps of hair on the shower floor which freaks me out because my hair is thin to begin with.

I'm 16 months out. I had some hairloss around 3-6 months. It was noticeable to me, but not really to anyone else. Well, my hairdresser did confirm it too. I just felt like I was shedding constantly.. in the shower.. on my clothes.. It started to grow back and I had alot of baby hairs sticking up all over. I decided to cut 7 inches off my hair and that really helped it look thicker. It's growing back quickly now. I tried the Biotin and the Nioxin shampoo.. whether or not it really helped, I have no idea. I don't think it has to do with Protein as much as people think. I was diligent about getting mine and still had some loss around the 3 months mark. I think it is just the trauma of surgery/anesthesia/changing your eating patterns and losing weight that does it. It's a huge change to the body. I'm just glad it was only temporary!!

that's horrible!! Im scarred to get the surgery now!!!!

I am supposed to get surgery next month! I dont know whats worse.. fluff or loosing my hair! Grrrrr! decision's!

You all just scarred the Crap out of me :confused:) haha!

OMG!!! maybe i wish i didn't just stick to this screen like glue reading all of this bad news...thought i would come on here and for sure some one would have the answer...damn! ok,tonight i just figured out that my hair is thinner in the front...my husband clued me in on the reason...my surgery!!! now i feel panic!!! tomorrow i WILL eat more protine and my doctors office recommends flaxseed oil and selenium...must get to the store to pick up my supliments...i'll be back to see how you all are doing with getting your hair back and to share my progress...good luck to all!!! :smile2:

oh god-

I just heard about this for the first time yesterday and Im terrified- I already have thin hair as it is... how much falls out? Should I not band because of this?? Will I look like a freak??? Is there anything to do to prevent it??? Helpp!!!Your support and encouragement pleasee///:thumbdown:

that's horrible!! Im scarred to get the surgery now!!!!

I am supposed to get surgery next month! I dont know whats worse.. fluff or loosing my hair! Grrrrr! decision's!

You all just scarred the Crap out of me :thumbdown:) haha!

omg I feel the same way- i just stumbled on this minor detail yesterday and am all freaked out.. Also supposed to be going in for surgery next month- flying in more like- from another country... i already resigned myself to doing this-I dont want to back out now buut really freaky!!

What should we do lol