Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So much harder than I thought...

I got sleeved Tuesday, December 8th, 2015. It is Thursday night and still in the hospital because I'm having a hard time with fluids. The first night in, I threw up 5 times and continued through today. I am now eating(very tiny bites of puréed, but still nowhere near my 64ounces. I knew it was going to be hard, but this is crazy. I am up walking frequently(more up than down) and doing everything I can. I'm trying to drink but I feel like I have a balloon full of Water in my abdomen...

Tera, I am sorry you are going through this. I had my surgery on 13 November of this year. I was not given anything beside iv fluids the first day, then given sugar free Popsicle the next day. Wow you are already on purees! I was on liquid (broth, juice, and Popsicles) until day four. I did not have a Protein goal to meet. I added this in on on day four when I was taking1-2 Protein shakes a day.

I did have the nausea, but quickly learned that i had to block the iv when I stood up to walk. I am nearly a month out now and do have nausea and vomiting on occasion but it is generally due to drinking to soon after a meal, eating too fast on too much even if it is just a quarter of a bite. Most often the too fast is the problem.

I noticed in the hospital I did a lot of spitting which I was told was not due to nausea but the tube from surgery.

I hope you start to feel better and will be on your way home soon.

@@tera1982 I too was sleeved on the 8th of this month. I'm home now but was only allowed ice chips during my hospital stay. I am on liquids for 2 weeks. I had the nausea feeling but I asked for meds to counter that. I hope you start feeling better.

Soon you will have more good days than bad. Not everyone goes home on the second day. My insurance pre-approved five days, and I went home late on the third. I started full liquids the next day and purees at one week. Some folks are on liquids for a whole month. So even though you are uncomfortable, you appear to be ahead of the game.

I was advised to drink 64 ounces of Water per day, but in reality it was about a month before I got to where I could. I started out at an ounce about every fifteen minutes, and now at two weeks short of two years I can drink 100-120 ounces of Water a day with no trouble. Your tummy has a lot of healing to do, so just let it be the boss of you for a while.

It was close to a month before I could reach my 60 grams a day of Protein. Hang in there. This process requires more patience than anything else you will ever do.

Thank you for the input, everyone. I just got discharged so I'm ready to keep up with that Water goal at home-even if it kills me????

Thank you for the input, everyone. I just got discharged so I'm ready to keep up with that Water goal at home-even if it kills me????

Yippie!!!!

@@Miss Mac

There is only been one day that I have been able to drink 60 grams of Protein (I am two weeks post), and I am stressing that me not drinking the whole 60 will cause no more weight loss; I am currently at a stall for about a week. What did you do? I am afraid I won't lose anymore, but I see so many who have. Did you exercise? My doc said to try at least 4x week, but just going shopping takes a lot out of me right now, much less to get on the treadmill and get my heart rate up. Thanks for any advice.

@@tera1982

I hope it all gets better soon for you; I left after one night at the hospital but feel I should have stayed longer. You will feel better, but there are other emotional components that will accompany this process, I am in the midst of them right now, along a stall, and they are hard to deal with. But I have faith in what everyone else here says that it will get better and the weight loss will resume. Hang in there.

Hi All Dec 8th sleevers,

I had a set back yesterday. I thought I was doing great, but I hadn't had a BM in almost a week. I tried to cut back on pain medicine & started drinking prune juice with no luck. I became fatigued & finally called my doctor so he gave me the ok to take milk of magnesia. I definitely feel better today, but feel like I took a couple of steps backwards. This is a long road, a new way of life.

Every day will get better, I promise! You are right though, those first couple weeks really are about just getting through them and getting enough fluids in. Don't even worry about Protein. Just stay hydrated! I also had to stay in the hospital a couple extra days due to not being able to drink enough fluids on my own. Hang in there! I know it seems impossible now, but you will be back to a "new" normal soon!

I had my first visit since Dec 8th surgery. All is going well & I am healing nicely. I too have a hard time getting in all of the fluids but I'm doing the best I can & that's all that you can do. Everyday I take in a little bit more. I'm going to have Soup tonight...too excited! ???? keep healthy!!

I had my follow up today as well. The drain was removed and I hadn't had a BM either. My doctor told me to take MOM as well and that if I was passing gas everything is functioning. He said he wasn't too concerned at this point. I can start soft foods this Saturday. I can't wait to taste some soft scramble eggs.< /p>

Ughhh, I was sleeved 12/08/15. I was having a rough time with fluids and Protein but the past few days was getting better. Yesterday, I threw up...ALOT. I tried to just concentrate on staying hydrated and thought my new tummy just didn't like something I ate and figured I try again tomorrow(which is now today). I did good with fluids and Breakfast and now, shortly after lunch, vomit-city! I called my surgeon immediately and they said to skip dinner and focus on fluids, it is most likely something I ate not agreeing. I'm starting to think my new tummy only likes Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and sugar-free Popsicles. Anyone else have issues like this? It sucks. Although, I have lost 14 pounds in 8 days(went to another doc appointment today).

Oh no Tera, hang in there it's going to get better! I haven't had any issues with my stomach rejecting food but every time I take a Vitamin or drink a Protein Shake my stomach gives it right back to me. Not quite sure what to do, I'm just drinking a ton of water!

Hi Tera1982

I didn't know we could have cottage cheese at this time. Maybe I misunderstood but I thought it was supposed to be liquids only for 2 weeks. Could the cottage cheese be doing it? If not I would love to eat some cottage cheese @ this time I'm on the liquids only. Protein Shakes, Jello, yogurt (no chunks of fruit), broth, Isopure & strained cream of chicken Soup. That has been it for me. Hope you get better soon.