Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feedback for how you feel day 1-2 immediately after sleeve surgery

I would like to hear some details on how folks felt the first two days immediately after gastric sleeve surgery? Are you able to move about? Is there a lot of pain? Did you need to take pain medication? How exactly did you feel? What was it like?

For me I was in pain. I stopped pain meds day 3 post op. It was difficult to bend over and sleep laying down. Walking was fine as was going up down stairs. For me the physical and mental exhaustion was hardest

For me I was in pain. I stopped pain meds day 3 post op. It was difficult to bend over and sleep laying down. Walking was fine as was going up down stairs. For me the physical and mental exhaustion was hardest

Oh wow.

Honestly it's different for every single person. Some people actually feel great, some feel horrible and if you are anything like me you don't remember much of the first 2 days. Although day 3 was horrific :)

So I will tell you that I am one of the unlucky ones that got dehydrated and had to be readmitted to the hospital for hydration for 3 days. But those first 2 days were sort of a drug fuled haze. I did get out of bed a lot to walk and I remember it being weird that I didn't have any urge to eat or drink a single thing but I don't remember being in pain. I know the nurses brought me pain meds every few hours even if I didn't ask for them. They wanted me comfortable. I also remember having to go to the bathroom almost every hour :) Gotta love those IV fluids :)

I think the worst for me was the mental stuff that went on and not so much the pain from the surgery. I had a lot of regret the first week. I cried a lot and thought I did this horrible thing that I could never take back. I had a great husband that was very supportive at the time. He does tell me now though that he was terrified at how much I regretted my decision and how much I bawled like a baby (I am not a weak person and it was very unlike me) I will also tell you that day 9 for me was the turning point. I woke up on day 9 and immediately felt better. Every day since has been WONDERFUL. I am a little over 3 months out and it is the best decision and best $18,000 I have ever spent. I have lost 49lbs, wear a loose size 12 jeans, can keep up with my girls and am just loving every aspect of life :)

I would do it again in a heart beat, even knowing that for me it was 9 days of pure hell, I would do it all over again.

My recovery was pretty good. When I moved a certain way I had pain in my incisions. I had to sleep at a 45 degree angle for a week or so. I didn't have to take a single pain pill, the only actual pain I had was in my back

You feel like you had major surgery. Major surgery doesn't exactly tickle.

Pain level is different for everyone. I have a high tolerance for pain, but didn't want to be a hero and took my pain meds to help me sleep, although I probably could have taken Tylenol and been okay. You may say it's the worse pain you've ever felt. You just never know. I did wake up in quite a bit of pain. Some others didn't. After I got meds, it was totally managable.

Major surgery takes a toll on your body. That's why there's a recovery time. Usually 6 weeks is the magic number to feel close to normal again. On top of it, we are getting very few calories. So between the two, you're tired and feel worn out. It just takes time to feel normal.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery!

Thank you everyone! I understand there are variations. Some will have it easy and some hard. I appreciate the shares. My surgery is 12/21. Day 5 of 14 day liquid diet.

My procedure was on the 8th of this month. I remember waking up in recovery and feeling the worst pain ever. I looked to my right at the gentleman and told him "it hurts" next thing I remember is waking up in my room Wednesday morning. I didn't have overbearing pain at that point and I was able to walk laps on the floor and use my spirometer. Since I've been home the pain I feel is in my back due to sleep position and discomfort where the drain is in place. I wish you the best on your upcoming journey. There is a lot of knowledge on BP.

Thank you everyone! I understand there are variations. Some will have it easy and some hard. I appreciate the shares. My surgery is 12/21. Day 5 of 14 day liquid diet.< /p>

what hospital you getting it done at? I did mine at Mount Sinai St.Lukes My Doctor Had Me 2 Day clear liquid before Surgery

I would like to hear some details on how folks felt the first two days immediately after gastric sleeve surgery? Are you able to move about? Is there a lot of pain? Did you need to take pain medication? How exactly did you feel? What was it like?

I had an easy time of it. My doctor keeps his patients 2 days. No pain/nausea/vomitting, walked about slowly but easily. Spent my day sipping water/tea/ProSource NoCarb protein/veg broth. Peed a LOT. Day 2 got them to unhook IV fluids since I was drinking well by mouth. Talked on the phone, played on my iPad, did breathing into spirometer to clear lungs, watched tv and slept. I felt a little achy & sore but otherwise fine. I didn't take any pain meds either orally or via pump. I could get in and out of bed unassisted.

I felt pretty terrible for the first three days. A fair bit of pain and very nauseous. I also had my gall bladder removed at the same time. I spent three nights in hospital with IV fluids which was good as I could barely hold anything down for the first two days.

Day 5 was like a miraculous recovery and I felt pretty fantastic from that day forward.

Good luck, hopeful you are one of the lucky ones who bounces back quickly.

I had knee replacement surgery a year before my sleeve and THAT was painful.

This surgery was a breeze.

Not much pain at all.

Just a couple of days of nausea.

Never took any pain meds once I left the hospital.

I went back to work in a week.

I felt great. Never took any pain Meds at all. Went shopping the day after surgery and walked a total of two miles. Napped in the afternoon. More shopping the second day. Eating Popsicles and sipping on broth and pedialyte all day both days. My abdominal muscles felt fatigued like I'd done a zillion sit-up, that's about it. Never had any problems or needed help moving around, getting in and out of bed, etc. travelled from TJ to SLC alone on the 3rd day.

Good luck with a smooth recovery!

I was super nauseous right when I woke up, but that went away after less than an hour. I was up and walking briskly and unassisted that evening and was shopping with my family 2 days later. A little tired and bending over wasn't fun, but pretty ok.