Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

*Updated - Approved - But Should I go through with it a Second time?

Sorry to resurrect a topic from an old thread...But my situation has now changed quite a bit and I've now ended up in a new and unique scenario... I'm interested in hearing some of your reflections on it once again --

When I started my previous thread, I was really questioning whether or not I should actually go through with surgery after all. In short order, I became convinced and believe it or not, went in for my VSG on December 1 in Spokane.

Super right?

Well, not quite.

As I quickly wrote in another recent post, my surgery was stopped mid course because they ran into a 3" tumor on top of my stomach. The 1hr surgery turned into almost 3hrs and after a consult with oncologist and pathologist while I was under, the surgeon removed the tumor and closed me up. No VSG. Needless to say, I was incredibly disappointed when i woke up to this news! And my wife and loved ones were terrified.

Fast forward a week now. The tumor has been determined to be completely benign and isolated to that one spot in my body. I was quite excited to get that news from the surgeon and so was my family :)

So the question is -- what happens next?

Here's my situation. The surgery didn't count as a weight loss surgery for insurance purposes since they didn't actually perform that procedure...and essentially my clinic just has to change dates on my previous insurance approval and move forward. I've got a new date for surgery, the middle of next week, and the march continues.

Many of my family members and friends have said to me things like: "why don't you quit while you're ahead?", "are you still going to have surgery?", "you look so good, do you really want to lose MORE weight?" etc.

I started at about 310 last May and now I'm at 278...the last 20lbs of that or so was from the 2.5 week pre-op liquid diet (and now the subsequent week long liquid diet after surgery -- the doctor wanted me to stay on the pre-op diet just in case I go to surgery again soon). My clothing is noticeably looser...although I'm still in my same sized clothing (42in pants, xxl shirts, etc) -- and my face looks thinner already. I feel great.

With all of this being said, I fundamentally don't feel like I'm in a different situation than I was a week ago. I feel like I need this help just as bad as I did before... In fact, I feel as though my choice to have surgery was the RIGHT thing as verified by the fact that they found and removed a tumor nobody had any idea was there. To me it feels like I'm on the right track with surgery...

So what do you think? Would any of you question going back to surgery after going through this? Would you think 'quitting while you're ahead' is reasonable? Or would you tend to push forward thinking that it makes sense?

Why on earth would you listen to anyone else about what is a decision about YOUR life, health, and quality of life? You want it, you need it, go get it! Don't let the naysayers bring you down!

For those who suggested you "quit while you are ahead", do they think you are really ahead if you haven't had the surgery?

It sounds like a blessing that they were able to find and remove the tumor, find that it is benign and keep you on track for surgery. Even insurance is cooperating. It sounds to me like everything is aligned to help you complete what you set out to do in the first place.

Listen to your doctor's and surgeon as you make your final decision. Well-meaning but I'll-informed friends and family are probably not the best people for making health decisions for you.

Your last paragraph sounds like you know what you want to do.

Aren't you still in the same place as you were before surgery? This is a personal choice. You need to decide if you need the sleeve to help you lose weight.

Push forward with the surgery. You are in exactly the same place as you were before they opened you up. Your reasons for surgery have not changed. The stars are aligning with insurance good to go with the new date.

I agree with everyone, make the decision for you, and YOU alone. You obviously felt you needed the VSG, has anything really changed?

IMHO - I would do it...but that is MY opinion.

What has really changed except for the delay due to a different medical issue? You need to make this decision for yourself. I don't know your personal circumstances but If I were to look back on my decision it's clear that having VSG was the best decison I've ever made in my life.

I am guessing that diet alone has not worked for you to keep the weight off long term. For me, I know I can lose weight by dieting (I've done it dozens of times), but keeping it off has been the problem. The body fights back to return to the same or larger size. Statistically people with the surgery do far better long term than diet alone. I realize we still have to work for it, but my belief is the sleeve will help us with maintaining a lower set point.

I would do the surgery if i were in your shoes, but that is based off of my history with dieting/exercise.

This is why I am not letting anyone other than my parents know...too many opinions...get it done!Once and for all!!!You can do this...by Spring you will see the hard fought results...

I agree with everyone else here. If it were me, I would proceed with the surgery, and be thankful that they also discovered and removed the tumor. To me, the tumor has not changed anything, except removing a little bit more weight from your abdomen. Having it removed is not going to help you with weight loss. Good luck! My sleeve is next Thursday, 12/17!

VSG is such a great tool to have in the toolbox. People who don't struggle with weight don't understand how much it helps to have this surgery and to limit how much you can eat for a time. I hope you go for it.

With all of this being said, I fundamentally don't feel like I'm in a different situation than I was a week ago. I feel like I need this help just as bad as I did before... In fact, I feel as though my choice to have surgery was the RIGHT thing as verified by the fact that they found and removed a tumor nobody had any idea was there. To me it feels like I'm on the right track with surgery...

Ah yes, this is the question that came to mind when I read your post. We all have extensive histories of losing and gaining weight. I've lost 50 pounds before. And gained 75. What finally brought me to surgery was acceptance that I couldn't do it on my own. I was never going to lose enough weight AND KEEP IT OFF without the surgery.

Sounds to me like you have your answer. But some positive support can't hurt, right?

So yes, if I were in your position I would still have the surgery. I'd be scared. Each time you go into the OR there's a risk. I was scared with my surgery, too. And I understand why your family wants to say "leave it well enough alone" - they're scared too. But burying one's head in the sand isn't a solution. Even if lightening should strike twice, would you rather know it?

Not to mention that yes, you are still overweight, and yes, you still need the weight loss surgery. Better to do it now than wait another 5 years.

Best of luck, no matter what you decide.

Definitely understand the second thoughts especially after the "failed" First attempt, but in reality seems to be a blessing in disguise. As for the second guessing because of the recent "looking good" perfectly understandable considering weeks of post-op dieting. But the reality is based on years of dieting by many of us is the weight will be gained back in short time frame and your be back where you started. I would stay on track but it's ultimately your decision and need to be comfortable with it.

You started down this road for a reason. The tumor should serve as an example as to one of the reasons that surgery would be of a benefit to you. Carrying excess weight increases our risk for cancer and other illnesses. If you opt to not go through with the surgery please make sure that is your decision and not others.

Edited by ladee2279

Sorry to resurrect a topic from an old thread...But my situation has now changed quite a bit and I've now ended up in a new and unique scenario... I'm interested in hearing some of your reflections on it once again --

When I started my previous thread, I was really questioning whether or not I should actually go through with surgery after all. In short order, I became convinced and believe it or not, went in for my VSG on December 1 in Spokane.

Super right?

Well, not quite.

As I quickly wrote in another recent post, my surgery was stopped mid course because they ran into a 3" tumor on top of my stomach. The 1hr surgery turned into almost 3hrs and after a consult with oncologist and pathologist while I was under, the surgeon removed the tumor and closed me up. No VSG. Needless to say, I was incredibly disappointed when i woke up to this news! And my wife and loved ones were terrified.

Fast forward a week now. The tumor has been determined to be completely benign and isolated to that one spot in my body. I was quite excited to get that news from the surgeon and so was my family :)

So the question is -- what happens next?

Here's my situation. The surgery didn't count as a weight loss surgery for insurance purposes since they didn't actually perform that procedure...and essentially my clinic just has to change dates on my previous insurance approval and move forward. I've got a new date for surgery, the middle of next week, and the march continues.

Many of my family members and friends have said to me things like: "why don't you quit while you're ahead?", "are you still going to have surgery?", "you look so good, do you really want to lose MORE weight?" etc.

I started at about 310 last May and now I'm at 278...the last 20lbs of that or so was from the 2.5 week pre-op liquid diet (and now the subsequent week long liquid diet after surgery -- the doctor wanted me to stay on the pre-op diet just in case I go to surgery again soon). My clothing is noticeably looser...although I'm still in my same sized clothing (42in pants, xxl shirts, etc) -- and my face looks thinner already. I feel great.

So what do you think? Would any of you question going back to surgery after going through this? Would you think 'quitting while you're ahead' is reasonable? Or would you tend to push forward thinking that it makes sense?

Do it!