Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 1: UPMC Magee (Pittsburgh)

So I am a 43-year-old male from Pittsburgh. I had a starting weight of 314, which dropped to 300 during the supervised pre-op insurance waiting period. I chose Dr. Anita Courcoulas as my surgeon. I had no pre-op liquid diet to attend to, just nothing after midnight the day before surgery.

SURGERY DAY

I was to arrive at 10:45 AM with a table time of 12:45 PM. Everything went on time. Starting in pre-op with an IV, consent forms, and a face to face with both the Surgeon and the Anesthesiologist.

An interesting side note, from about 12:00 PM until at least 6:00 PM my family had no access to where I was. I knew this going into it and opted to just get to the hospital myself and my love ones came down after I was in a room. They were updated throughout the process by the nursing staff and by Dr. Courcoulas herself after surgery. I bring this up only to show there's a way to do the surgery without sticking your family in a hospital waiting room for hours.

The surgery was on time and I was in my room a few hours later. I was really doped up and didn't feel any pain but I was aware that I was given IV meds for nausea.

Around midnight I was up for a walk. The hardest part was getting into/out of bed. That first night they wake you damn near every hour for this or that.

DAY ONE POST-OP

Surgeon and other doctors were in to check up on me. IV fluids continued. By that point I had only used the Morphine pump 12 times since the start so it was discontinued. I was taken by wheel chair down for the Barium swallow to check for leaks. This test is very unpleasant but necessary. Back to the room for a nap.

I woke and felt good. Started the sipping of fluids in little medicine cups. I think i went for three walks during the day and slept on and off at night.

DAY TWO POST-OP

I was discharged today around 2:30 PM. Prior to discharge I had a couple more walks, got a shower, and dressed in sweats and a t-shirt. I was given liquid narcotic pain medication to take home. Apparently this script is hard to get filled at a lot of pharmacies, but UPMC Magee has an outpatient pharmacy on floor "zero" that filled the script prior to me leaving. As it turns out I only used one dose of the medication, and that I gave myself before the car ride home.

AT HOME

I'm two days at home now. Pain is maybe a 2 out of 10. The hardest part still is getting up from a seated position. First day I slept a lot and only got 59 ounces in. Today I was up by 9am, my wife took me to a store so I could walk a bit more. It's almost 11:30 PM now and I'm headed to bed with 76 ounces in for the day.

As far as the actual pain goes I'd say 80% is gas pain and it does hurt. Once your able to get up and start walking you will begin to burp and within a day or two begin to fart. Once this happens the gas passes really fast. Keep a bathroom handy though since you will have only liquids going in, you will end up with a whole new appreciation for the term diarrhea for the first few days at home.

I have no idea if I lost any weight. I'm only going to get on the scale monthly, so January 1 I'll have a number. I will say my recliner seems to fit me better now.

I'll report back with updates as they happen.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Sgt7546

Hey Tom! I was sleeved on 12/1 as well! We should keep in touch! How are you feeling? How's the liquid diet going?

All is good. I'm over the 64oz a day but I do crave food. How's your progressed?

That was awesome!!!! My surgery is Thursday and you've helped me immensely!!!

That was awesome!!!! My surgery is Thursday and you've helped me immensely!!!

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do great.

One week up date: Well I buckled and stepped on the scale. I have lost about 15 pounds. The first pic was taken the morning of surgery, the second pic was 7 days later.

op. 5ab8f86a0ce27a3d00ae1e4f01d7d12d.jpg32e994b9ff785ae069d2fd50692bad52.jpg

Week two post op. I'm feeling great, back to almost a normal life minus eating food of course. I lost another 9.6 pounds this week, bringing my post op total to 24.4 pounds.

e0d58b140b22122fdc8ba99c76aeb88e.jpg

OH MY GOSH!!! I live in SC but have UPMC because my employer is based in Pitt!!!! How was your approval process with UPMC. My BMI is over 55 so I am not required to do the medically supervised diet. It is supposed to be submitted January 11th after I complete my nutrition consult. How long did it take to get approved. Gosh I am dying to hear bk NOBODY has UPMC aroudn here!! I will def be following your progress! GOOD LUCK!!!!

Once I had my nutritional consult and psych, I was given scripts for X-ray, blood work, EKG, and scope. Once those results were in the approval was less than 72 hours

I have to do 4 weeks of Optifast once I have a surgery date bk I'm so heavy. I get submitted after my nutrition consult on 1.11. This gives me hope

Hi there! I also had my surgery at Magee in 2013. My process and surgery experience was similar to yours with the exception of surgeons. I wanted to check in and see how you are doing and tell you that if you ever have any questions, to please let me know. Great job so far!

So I'm three weeks post-op, food, Fluid, and Protein is going in fine. I've developed a sharp, stabbing pain near the large incision site. Dr's office thinks it is scar tissue or muscle strain and should go away within the week

Well it's been once month since surgery. All the pain has resolved itself and I'm back into jeans and t-shirts. Food/protein/water have been going in no problem. I'm down exactly 30 pounds in 30 days and it's starting to show

. b3f64d722b76f5ff4f73132eccb5dace.jpg