Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm having mixed emotions tonight. I start the ten day pre-surgical diet tomorrow. I feel like this is the last night of my life to eat...sugar. I'm having the gastric bypass, and it doesn't mix well with sugar. Which is exactly why I chose THAT surgery. Yet, I feel sad tonight. Sugar has been a comforting friend for 61 years...and I don't even think I can comprehend what my decision to have RNY is going to mean as far as that sugar addiction goes. I have read that it will go away once I stop eating it. I sure hope that is true!

I have had "many" food funerals in the last few weeks. Fortunately, I only gained 7 pounds. Could have been so much worse. I feel like I'm in this huge BATTLE, thinking I'm never going to be able to eat again. I know that's not true, as far as many foods go, but it probably is true with foods like I love like ice cream, pastries, chocolate....but those are the foods that got me to 300 pounds, too. Again.

So, I'm saying goodbye to the old life and am truly excited, although it may not sound like it, with what's ahead. Now to make it through the next few "hunger" days on the limited diet....but...ONE DAY AT A TIME.

Yeah, I get the sugar addiction - probably most of us had it at one time or other. I know I did. Having WLS, though, is a major change in our lives and way of thinking - as you know. I think sometimes when folks have numerous food funerals they are only whipping their poor bodies and minds around and making it harder on themselves.

I know you are getting the bypass because it MIGHT keep you from eating sweets. It might NOT keep your from eating sweets also. Dumping syndrome is not a given. If you don't have a problem eating sugar after surgery, you are going to have to be able to push it away and not eat it. Otherwise you will not be successful using the tool you are given. WLS is not a magic bullet - it is only a tool. We still have to do the hard work to lose and keep the weight off.

I think the time before surgery is to train us in how to eat after surgery. We practice not eating and drinking at the same time - eating a certain amount of Protein - drinking a certain amount of liquids - chewing each bite of food thoroughly. It should also be a time of focusing on healthy eating - giving up the sugary, bad carb foods. I do hope you decided against the sugar tonight. The pre-op diet is hard enough without going through sugar withdrawal also.

If I sound a bit harsh, I apologize. I think you need a reality check though - and I am just giving you tough love.

Good luck with the pre-op diet and with your surgery. I wish you every success!

Thank you for those wise words! I had heard that dumping is not guaranteed but I so hope I have it! I did have sugar tonight, feeling very old about it, as if I had to have it, yet in a way not even wanting it. But it's over now. DONE. Tomorrow my new life begins. I'm excited...and ready.

I love sugar and sweets. I have gotten Sugar Free Chocolate and Cookies to help me with my sweet tooth. I don't eat them everyday and I don't pig out on them either. I know how you feel. At times I get depressed thinking about not being able to eat junk food anyone. I am hoping it gets easier as time goes on and if I have my own junk food then I'm hoping to be ok.

I've made it through DAY 1 of my ten day presurgery diet...and survived! LOL I think i can do this. Actually, it's hard to fit all five Protein shakes in (i'm allowed to use carnation instant Breakfast packets). I also eat 1 serving of fruit and 1 serving of veggies with each shake. A serving is small though. But that's okay; I get to chew! I also added some zero calorie flavoring into the french vanilla (added ice and put it in the blender) and it was yummy. So...NINE MORE DAYS......DECEMBER 1 is the big surgery day.

@@bugsy72 -- That's much better: You made it through Day #1. Of course you can do this. You can do anything. As you said, one day at a time is a good way to go.

Viewing sugar from this angle, it's neither friend nor comfort. It's a stupor-inducer I'm fighting with it, hating it and myself with every bite.

As my surgery was approaching, I was surprised to hear people talk about a "last meal." I don't think it would have occurred to me, surprising as that is. With the notion planted, I considered what would be my last pig-out. It never happened. After a little thought I knew that one more time meant nothing. It's only one more, so why not let the last one be the last one?

I also never fretted or mourned foods I thought I'd have to give up, certainly not the ones I knew would be problematic with the lapband. In no way am I saying that I don't/didn't have my own food crazinesses, just not the ones I heard people gritching most about in my early days.

How about a little ladies' bet? It's over and done now, so nothing worth lamenting, but I say that, one of these days, when you recognize that you've got the power, you'll think it was silly to tack on those seven pounds so close to surgery.

@@miiasan -- "If I sound a bit harsh, I apologize. I think you need a reality check though - and I am just giving you tough love." Harsh? Is that the best you've got? You're a lamb chop with great ideas. Put those gloves on and get in there!

Great day for me! Friday scale said 212 and after a day if hunting deer,walking with boots on,more clothes than usual and carrying a loaded 308, the scale says 210. Oh yeah, I didn't even get a shot off. :(

Day Two...no problems! i thought I would be hungry but i'm definitely not. AND...my scale was four pounds down this morning after just ONE DAY. I know it's probably all Water but i don't care. It made me happy! Thanks for the encouragement and "harshness," I don't know how to tag someone here or I would!

@@bugsy72 -- Good for not being hungry and for being down four pounds.

By "tag," do you mean get the name of the person you're addressing into your message? If so, start by clicking your cursor into a blank message box; then scroll up to the post by the person. See that little, blue "mention" at screen left, beneath the person's info? Click it and you'll see it in your new-message box. You can insert it wherever you want by clicking "mention" when you're ready for it to be slotted in.

Or is it something else you want?

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

@@bugsy72 -- Teamwork for the big things and the small, through thick or thin, feast and famine, on the road with Crosby and Hope...

I was doing a quick scroll up the previous page when my eye barely spotted this:

"...I had heard that dumping is not guaranteed but I so hope I have it!"

A second look told me that you weren't talking about dumplings.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

@WLSResources/ClothingExch.....LOL. No dumplings allowed!

Well, today is day five and I've been about 95% compliant with the pre-surgery diet. And I've lost nine pounds so far, in just four days. I'm very happy with that. it's all i had gained in my food funerals and more, and i have five more days to keep losing weight before surgery on December 1. My hubby has pneumonia so I'm trying to stay away from him. That's all i need; to get sick and have to postpone surgery. But...one day at a time. Tomorrow will be challenging. I am allowed to have some lean turkey and veggies and one carb serving. I may take a bite of a couple other things...but I will be very selective. Five more days!

Well, today is day five and I've been about 95% compliant with the pre-surgery diet. And I've lost nine pounds so far, in just four days. I'm very happy with that. it's all i had gained in my food funerals and more, and i have five more days to keep losing weight before surgery on December 1. My hubby has pneumonia so I'm trying to stay away from him. That's all i need; to get sick and have to postpone surgery. But...one day at a time. Tomorrow will be challenging. I am allowed to have some lean turkey and veggies and one carb serving. I may take a bite of a couple other things...but I will be very selective. Five more days!

How did surgery go?!

I'm going to start a new thread about the surgery!