Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Driving myself to the hospital...bad idea?

My husband does not have many vacation days left and I don't want him to waste one to sit in the hospital while I'm in surgery. I'd prefer to have him there when I come home. He's not happy about it, but so far he's going along with it. My plan was to drive myself to the hospital and have him come down after work. Does this make sense? Or is it a bad idea?

So long as you don't plan to drive yourself back home, I think it's fine. My husband has a quarterly medical procedure. He gets himself down to the hospital in the morning, and I go pick him up. Good luck!

Do you plan to drive yourself back home? Not a good idea from what others have said on this site. I haven't had my surgery yet but plan for my room mate to drive me to and from the hospital. Hopefully others who have had surgery will reply soon.

OOPS I see a reply came through as I was typing mine.

My hospital staff offered to let me drive home. I declined. Even not on pain meds, I thought it was a bad idea (due to stiffness, soreness, etc.).

I see no reason not to drive yourself, as long as someone else picks you up.

Yeah it's fine. I had a friend drop me off and just had the hospital call when I was out of surgery. I didn't need anyone sitting with me and I didn't want them stuck sitting in a waiting room.

Thanks everyone! My husband will come down after work and he'll drive me home when I am discharged.

I guess the drawback to driving yourself is that you will have two cars at the hospital unless you can figure out the logistics ahead of time. I was required to have someone drive me home.

If he is not going to be there during your surgery he may need to be at least reachable.

I drove myself both to the hospital and home. There is no reason you can't drive yourself to the hospital, although as someone else mentioned, then you get stuck with one car there. I was in the hospital for three days and declined narcotics after the second day. I was fully sober, so to speak, to drive myself home on day three. I felt pretty crummy and it wasn't the greatest drive ever, but physically it was possible. If you're only talking about driving yourself to the hospital, there would really be no issue with that.