Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't stop losing weight...

Anyone have problems with not being able to stop losing weight? My surgeon has mentioned maybe having to do something with my pouch to enlarge it? But I am not sure what it is exactly.

I am still losing weight and can't seem to stop. I saw my PCP today about some issues and she had me go do a bunch of blood tests. Then she wants me to call me surgeon. Oh boy. :(

I will be a year out on 12/18/15.

I was waiting for my blood work to come in. It came in and waiting on my PCP to call me. I will call the WLS Surgeon office tomorrow morning.

In my experience with RNY surgery, my weight loss slowed and stopped and I smoothly transitioned into the "Maintenance" phase. This happened around 6 or 7 months post-op.

In general, my goal was to maintain my weight at the high side of normal BMI. Generally normal weight is defined as 18.5-24.9 BMI. I personally believe that it is good to have a little extra fat on my body so I can survive a major illness or injury when one has a tendency to lose weight. So my goal is close to 24.9. I have dropped as low as 23.1 just as an experiment.

With a BMI of 20.3, you are still within "Normal". Sometimes I find it difficult to eat food even at 30 months post-op. If I consume too much volume, it can lead to dumping. I mentioned this to the nurse of my surgeon. She said my surgeon has a tendency to make the pouch small and that they can perform a simple procedure to enlarge it slightly. I am happy where I am at and didn't pursue the subject any further. I think it is the same procedure for dealing with strictures.

I'm 16 months post op and recently lost another 10 lbs. I found it rather pleasing as I haven't weighed so little since I was in seventh grade :) . Seriously, at 5'4" and 118 lbs, you must be so fantastic now ! I have experimented on my weight loss journey and by adding a little bit of fatty meat OR pie and or ice cream in moderation twice a week will stop your loss BUT DON'T get into old habits ! Keep in control and enjoy life !!!

I had a meeting this morning and haven't been able to call Nut or Surgeon. My PCP is concerned (whom I trust). Otherwise, I would let it go.

I have co-workers that have had Gastric Bypass and they are concerned about me too.

I had a meeting this morning and haven't been able to call Nut or Surgeon. My PCP is concerned (whom I trust). Otherwise, I would let it go.

I have co-workers that have had Gastric Bypass and they are concerned about me too.

Don't let it go.

Definitely follow up.

Have you added more calories to your food plan?

Don't let it go.

Definitely follow up.

Have you added more calories to your food plan?

Thank you. I will let you know what they do with me. :)

I talked to a person 3 years post op this last week. I am so confused because everything that has been told to me up to this point has been stick with the diet, excercise, blah, blah, blah. Ok, so I have. What she told me changed the ball game. We have surgeons out of the same clinic who are very pro-vegetarian. Her surgeon told her that her weight loss had become too excessive. She needed to up her calories and fat intake. What?! He told her it was ok to eat ice cream, up the Peanut Butter (which I still can't eat at 7 months) and eat fattier meat. All of which I can't eat or have been told is not on the plan. She scared me a bit. Unfortunately I just saw my surgeon recently or I would ask at my next visit. The things this woman told me have stopped me in my tracks. I have not been scared to lose too much. I have been excited even walking in to stores and buying off racks that are not in the plus size section. However, now the fear that the goal I have been working towards may be exceeded and things like being able to control portions, make better choices and the dreams of maintaining a healthy weight have been waivered.

I am curious what your PCP and surgeon say.

@@TXMissy, it depends on your goal.

If your goal is losing then following the protocol prescribed by your surgeon to lose weight is what you should do.

If your goal is to maintain weight, then following your surgeon's protocol to maintain weight (which will by definition be higher calorie) is what you should do.

I talked to a person 3 years post op this last week. I am so confused because everything that has been told to me up to this point has been stick with the diet, excercise, blah, blah, blah. Ok, so I have. What she told me changed the ball game. We have surgeons out of the same clinic who are very pro-vegetarian. Her surgeon told her that her weight loss had become too excessive. She needed to up her calories and fat intake. What?! He told her it was ok to eat ice cream, up the Peanut Butter (which I still can't eat at 7 months) and eat fattier meat. All of which I can't eat or have been told is not on the plan. She scared me a bit. Unfortunately I just saw my surgeon recently or I would ask at my next visit. The things this woman told me have stopped me in my tracks. I have not been scared to lose too much. I have been excited even walking in to stores and buying off racks that are not in the plus size section. However, now the fear that the goal I have been working towards may be exceeded and things like being able to control portions, make better choices and the dreams of maintaining a healthy weight have been waivered.

I am curious what your PCP and surgeon say.

The goals of the "Weight Loss" phase and the "Maintenance" phase are different and they require different approaches. Perhaps this article can explain. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery2.pdf

My PCP wants me to see my surgeon. Right now, I am not able to take off work to go see him. It will have to wait a little bit.

This is a bit concerning.

UPDATE!

Saw the weight loss nurse practioner today. She is concerned and wants me to gain 15 pounds. I am at the bottom of normal BMI for me. So, I am scheduled to see the surgeon, counselor nutritionist over the next three weeks.