Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello I'm getting weight loss surgery in December and I will have to fly to get to my surgeon. I haven't flown for a long time since I was a lot smaller. I'm am so nervous of getting on the plane and I won't fit. My question to you guys, is what is your experience flying? I'm 5'7" 370 lbs. about 56 inch waist and hip. Did anyone have to buy an extra seat? Need a seatbelt extender? My mom is paying for my flight as well as hers and I will feel so horrible if she would have to buy an extra plane seat....:(

You will be a tight fit and will have to ask for a seatbelt extender. But, since you are travelling with someone, you should be able to raise the armrest between you and give yourself a little more room. I flew a few times when I was around your size and was never asked to buy an extra seat, however I knew it was something that could happen and was prepared to do it if necessary. I also always flew with my much smaller wife, so I used her seat for my spillover.

Good luck with your surgery. You will soon realize how nice it is to not have to worry about things like this anymore!

I've flown on larger planes and the smaller ones that have 1 seat, then aisle, then two seats and I fit in those as well. I was about 305 with a 55 inch hip measurement if I'm remembering the last time I flew before surgery.

I usually asked for a seatbelt extender as I got on the flight, and the attendant very deftly handed me one while she was checking on things down the aisle - she was very smooth and meant to avoid embarrassment.

I know at one flight, I ended up with bruised hips from the armrests, but that wasn't a big deal to me.

It sounds as though your mother is wonderfully supportive. If, in fact, you do need two seats, the choice is simple and easy:

a. Save the money on the second seat by staying home and forgoing surgery, or

b. Pay for the extra seat, have the surgery, and then, in time, never need an extra seat again.

Four seconds, Charley.....

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

I think you will need 2 seats or perhaps a business class seat. The last time I flew I was about 330, sane height and I wedged my self in with belt extender. This was 6-7 years ago and this have definitely gotten smaller in the airline industry. Also the planes are a lot fuller with less chance of a empty seat next to you.

If it will help, seatguru.com will allow you to search seat maps by plane/flight an tell you the width of the seat etc. You can measure yourself and see if you can fit in.

I am 5.5 and 265lbs and I find the 17 inch width (the norm they use for older planes for short haul flights in Asia) to be a very tight squeeze, but longer haul the planes are newer/bigger and it's more comfortable.

Depending on if this would be too embarrassing for you or not, you can ask at check-in if the flight is fully booked today, and if not ask them to sit you by an empty seat. I did that once and they accommodated me (I gave them excuse that I get really travel sick and it tends to be very unpleasant for the person next to me, which s actually true. I'm fairly sure they knew what was going on but it gave both them and me a way to deal with the situation without major embarrassment).

As a fluffy frequent flier, I can tell you that it will also depend on the airline and the gate agent. Hopefully you will not get a bitchy gate agent.

There's a very helpful Facebook group called Flying While Fat. Check them out. Go online and look up whatever airline you are interested in and find out what their policy is for Customer's of size. Some require you buy an extra seat and refund you if the plan is not full and others just require you inform them when booking or at check in. You can google for plane sizes and it will tell you seat sizes. You can also pay to preboard or early board. That means you get to go in early and get your self settled in your seat before the regular boarding order. Sometimes that's more comfortable than having to worry about bumping people as you go up the aisle.

I fit into and airplane seat without using a extender up to 300lbs. After that I fit if I could put the arm rest up but needed an extender. Last time I flew I was 320.

Here's a helpful website called SeatGuru: http://www.seatguru.com. You can look up seat configurations and dimensions for all of the major airlines' aircraft. If there are two of you traveling, do some research and find out if there is any possible way to get assigned seats early. If so, get them, and get them together. I'd do so even if it means paying a little extra.

One last piece of advice. Gate agents see big people and think they're doing them a favor by putting them in "bulkhead"rows (usually either front rows or exit rows). WARNING! These seats have hard sides with no lifting armrests. They will be extremely uncomfortable, especially post-surgery. I find them impossible to sit in.

Is first class generally bigger seats?

Yes, first class are bigger, though it may be cheaper sometimes just to buy two economy if width is your only concern. How much bigger will depend on the airline, so as I said seatguru.com is a great resource.

Go online and look up whatever airline you are interested in and find out what their policy is for Customer's of size. Some require you buy an extra seat and refund you if the plan is not full and others just require you inform them when booking or at check in. You can google for plane sizes and it will tell you seat sizes. You can also pay to preboard or early board. That means you get to go in early and get your self settled in your seat before the regular boarding order. Sometimes that's more comfortable than having to worry about bumping people as you go up the aisle.

I agree with this. You didn't mention which airline, but I pretty much strictly fly Southwest and sometimes JetBlue. Southwest does have a "Customers of Size" policy as mentioned above. Technically they ask you to buy an extra seat (instructions on how to do that are on their website), and they will refund you later. However, I usually end up going to the gate agent or at the check-in desk outside security and ask them if I can use the "Extra Seat Option". They will give you a Seat Reserved sign to put on the seat next to you, and you will also be allowed to get on the plane with all the pre-boarders. I tend to wait for the people with wheelchairs to go first, but sometimes the person at the gate will ask me to go first.

I've only had one gate agent give me a little bit of grief about it, but for the most part they are very accommodating. They just don't like booting somebody off the plane if the plane is full. I had that happen once last Thanksgiving when I was around 440 pounds.

Since I fly frequently I bought a seat extender when they were on sale at Living XL. There are two types so I have one for Southwest, and one for JetBlue. However, the flight attendants will give you one if you ask.

I'm looking forward to no longer needing a seat belt extender. I know when I was last 300 pounds, before 2006, I never needed one. I'm about 20 pounds away!!!

Edited by DangerMouse007

So my mom and I are thinking about driving instead of flying to avoid having to pay for an extra seat. My surgery is in Mexico so we would be driving from Ohio to Texas. Anyone think this would be a good alternative? It would be almost a 24 hour trip. Would you think it would be more comfortable driving as opposed to flying? My mom would be driving home of course

Edited by charleywatson

So my mom and I are thinking about driving instead of flying to avoid having to pay for an extra seat. My surgery is in Mexico so we would be driving from Ohio to Texas. Anyone think this would be a good alternative? It would be almost a 24 hour trip. Would you think it would be more comfortable driving as opposed to flying? My mom would be driving home of course

Oh my! That long a drive would just about kill me. You're also increasing your risk for blood clots if you spend all that time in the car and you can't take aspirin to help. Are you having surgery in Tijuana? That's south of California, not Texas. People fly into San Diego.< /p>

As for plane seats, the standard ones are about 16 inches across, and first class is 21 inches. There's usually a console kind of thing dividing seats so you shouldn't infringe on anyone. Do a google image search for First Class plane seats with the airline you're considering.