Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help - having a BIG wobble

Hi,

I was banded last Saturday - so I'm only 6 days out.

I did a LOT or research ahead of my op and decided on a band mainly because of the lower risk associated to it at the surgery stage.

But now that I am a fully fledged, post op, bandit, I am engaging in a more real way with the lap band comunity and unfortunately this is leading me to believe that I have made a mistake.

I have joined some face book groups which are fully of awful stories of day to day difficulties. Pain and bringing food back seems to be a daily occurrence for many. I knew that I would not be able to eat Pasta, Rice bread with a band (Good!) - but eggs chicken and prawns - a big part of my post op diet plan, also seem to be a problem and in lots of cases a complete no-no for some.

Add to this the frequency of stories about slippage and being constantly in the red zone AND some reading on the BP group Lapband revision to sleeve - and I have just got myself into the mindset that I have made a terrible mistake and that I should actually have gone for a Gastric Sleeve.

I think I need to hear some positivity about the band! I want to be able to eat healthy foods (as I pretty much did pre-op) but much less of them. I want my weight loss to be 2lbs a week at the start - not excessively fast. I want to be able to live life day-to-day knowing I have a restriction -working with it, but not being a slave to it. Is this possible?

It would help a lot to hear some positive stories from fellow banistas. People who have a good life with the band and who can still eat (20/20/20!!!) chicken, eggs, prawn etc etc.

Sorry for such a panic post - but I have got myself into something of a tis - it would be great to get your opinions/advice - even if it is to confirm that maybe sleeves are better.

Thanks

What's this? Glum before you've probably had a bit of solid food in your mouth? Why?

You will hear all variations as you go along. It is true that some people have trouble with the Proteins you've named, but just as many don't. Some are able to eat the simple carbs you named, but, it's advised to stay away from foods that you can roll with your fist into a spongy ball. Some have trouble with the more fibrous vegetables and fruits; others don't. Et al.

White-meat chicken is difficult for some people who have no problem with the dark meat. You'll come across people who do well with the white meat on its own (e.g., moi), while others are fine as long as it's cooked in or eaten with something sauce-y to help it go down.

Some people prefer a tighter band, which generally makes for more challenge.

People who scarf food as they did to gain oodles of weight find that, once banded, it's a verrry sad thing to do, but chewing thoroughly and eating slowly eliminates trouble.

The band, long nicknamed "The Fickle Bitche," is just that. One day you may eat an item easily, another, not so much.

Feel your way along and decide for yourself.

P.S. For your best chance with prawns, be sure not to overcook them and, again, small bites, many chews per bite.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

@@Tirnanog Congratulations on becoming a bandit! Many of us have had some similar thoughts after surgery you can be sure. The first few months after surgery can throw you for a loop both mentally and physically. Much of what @@WLSResources/ClothingExch said above about people with tight bands, not eating on plan, and/or just plain old scarfing food are all the reasons for having band issues.

While it is true there are some who follow every single rule and can still have complications from the surgery, but that can be said for any WLS. Complications are part of the risk we take when we decided to embark on the journey. That said..I am a firm believer in NOT looking for trouble. If it's going to find you....let it have the hardest time possible don't go searching for it because chances are you will find it.

As you move the through the stages of your band, learn the rules and make them part of your life. Portion out the food. Cut tiny bites, take tiny bites, chew chew chew. Don't stack your food. Eat a bite chew swallow allow it to pass the band before putting another bite in your mouth. The same goes for drinking and eating. If you have just swallowed your bite don't chase it with a beverage. Give it time to clear the band and then if you need a sip of beverage go ahead and take that sip and allow that to go down and clear the band before resuming your meal. If you start to "stack" food..then your going to feel that pressure and if you try to chase it with beverage chances are the beverage will slide around through and under the food and could force it back up, so don't do it :)

Weight loss will come...give your body some time to heal and don't think your going to lose 100 pounds in a month. The band is not a mal- absorptive surgery and it will take time and habit changing to become best friends with your band and once you are...you will know what works for you both as you watch the numbers on the scale click away.

Good luck to you and come back here often for support, motivation and inspiration. This can be a great site for that...it can also be a great place to find trouble...so don't look for it...just enjoy your new life.

Something else that I found interesting and positive was that, when I chew chew chew, to borrow @@lisacaron's train, I notice the flavor of food. There is something about enjoying good flavor that satisfies me sooner than inhaling my food or eating things that don't taste especially good.

P.S. If you'd like to include the spaces in your screen name, it seems that this website is accommodating.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

I panicked like you are doing but it happened before I had the lapband. I'm nearly three years out and it's working fine for me. OK...I just got a fill so I know my experience is different than most but I eat everything...just a little of it.

Don't feel bad for worrying. It will keep you on track and aware of what and how much you are eating.

Good luck and welcome to the best decision you have probably made for yourself.

Thank you so very much for your responses and for the good advice. It has really helped, I feel ridiculous feeling like this now - when I deliberated for so long over everything before making a decision.

I think I will certainly feel better once I move on to eating real food again!

Gowalking - you've lost 143 lbs I see - amazing! and great proof for me that I have made a positive change by getting my band. Thanks so much for your words of encouragement - it's great that you can eat most things. During your pre-op wobble - did you consider getting a sleeve as an alternative?

The idea of only eating a little appeals greatly to me. The idea of not being able to eat chicken does not - but time will tell.

I will stop being glum! And focus!

Thanks

Tir xxx

Edited by Tirnanog

My doctor insisted I get the gastric bypass. She said I'd never lose enough weight with the lapband. I knew I didn't want my insides re-routed and only wanted the band as it was the least invasive procedure.

Obviously I proved my doctor wrong as I lost all my excess weight. And I don't mind telling you that I am smaller than she is these days. :D

, I feel ridiculous feeling like this now

The idea of only eating a little appeals greatly to me. The idea of not being able to eat chicken does not - but time will tell.

I will stop being glum! And focus!

Thanks

Tir xxx

Now you're catching on. There's a law that mandates feeling ridiculous early in the process. It takes a while to absorb the new practices and to feel competent and capable. It's just the way it is for most.

As to chicken or any other foods that are known to be problematic: If you run into difficulties, they may come and go. You'll see how all these things play out as you go along. There are times yogurt and other thick liquids are uncomfortable for me. Sounds ludicrous and much of this is just that. .

Hi there, that feeling of "What have I done?" is common, as is the fear that it's not going to work. I failed at so many diets over the years and worried that I'd be the one person who failed at LapBand. I'm very grateful that when I was in the research stage and newly-banded there was not the flood of negative information out there as I probably would have been deterred and still fighting my weight problems. Those people do go on (and on) -- many are unwilling to change eating patterns like fast food, etc. and it's important not to have the band too tight -- the links below in my signature helped me understand this. The Lapband is Not About Restriction and the Eight Golden Rules. Honestly, I read that Simpson piece over and over to get it through my big fat head. Restriction is a word we use with regard to the amount of fill but it's misleading. There are things that surprised me about what my body prefers and tolerates now. I was pretty sure I'd be eating scrambled eggs as I've always loved those. Well, they don't work well for me now but a fried egg -- something I never liked -- is kind of perfect for me. I need to be able to chew. My test for myself is salmon and broccoli. I need to be able to eat those foods (Slowly, oh that's still hard for me to remember sometimes but the band reminds me). Dense Protein well-chewed is where it's at. I use chicken thighs for the most part or pound the chicken (I like those organic tenders) so it's not too fibrous. For burger i sauté it with stock over time so it's not stringy. These are just my personal tendencies. And I splurge on tenderloin or filet mignon when we go out. I don't eat rice or bread, etc., although my husband is gluten-free and I do have a few rice crackers with cheeses, etc. I thought I'd have to give up cheese -- worried that I might come out of surgery lactose intolerant or something -- but I really love cheese and I haven't really had to "give up" anything. It's important for me not to have sliders. Yogurt is a slider for me so I add chia seeds, a little GF Cereal, a few nuts, etc. To give myself something to really chew. It's the chewing that signals the brain for satiety. So for me the cheese needs a cracker or some celery or something to chew. Last night I was on the way to a performance and suddenly needed food. Ducked into a market for a cheese stick and a small bag of unsalted almonds and a square of chocolate. Had about half of each. Full. No desire to go on and on, which is what I always did before. I am able to stop. No more appetite monster to appease! Good luck. You're going to do great! Pay attention to your pants and how they loosen rather than the scale. It will all happen!

Hey - thanks everyone for you great replies - didn't get chance to read/respond yesterday, but really wanted to thank you for taking the time to give me your help and advice.

I've stopped freaking out now and have accepted that this is a pretty normal response in the emotional fall out after the op. Social media is great , in some ways - but it can also create a wrong impression sometimes, at the end of the day it is impossible to know the route causes of the issues that people are complaining about.

Bandista - you star xxx My greatest fear is that I wouldn't be able to eat the healthy diet I have always had - Protein, salad veg etc (although clearly I over ate on these and added bad Snacks at night :( ) I feared that I would resort to eating sliders - thereby having little success with the band. But your description of how you eat is really heartening and very different to some accounts I've been reading over the past few days.

With everyone's help here - I realise once again that there is lots of band success out there and that has made me feel like I can be one of the success stories - I was losing faith...but I'M BACK!! I have revisited my original reasons for going with a lap band. Not wanting the higher risk or invasiveness of the sleeve, enjoying the control over adjustments not losing weight too quickly and hopefully being able to control my eating and appetite in the LONG term. I feel good!

I know there can be issues, slippage etc but I hope I can avoid that by treating the band well, I know it can happen anyway - but the sleeve is not issue free either!

Thanks again for all the great info, and for 'talking me down' It's been an emotional week!

Back to work tomorrow and genuinely feel I am starting a new life - helped along by that fact that I have lost a whole stone since start of pre-op!!My Pants are definitely loser!

Love

Tirnanog xx

Edited by Tirnanog