Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I Don’t Want to Lose My Hair!

If you’re putting off your weight loss surgery (WLS) because you’re worried about Hair loss, you’re not alone! And if you were surprised when you suddenly started to lose your hair a few months post-op, you’re not the first WLS patient to be caught off guard.

Here are a few facts on hair loss after weight loss surgery.

• It’s actually a condition called “telogen effluvium,” which happens when more of your hair is in the resting stage than the growth stage, so you end up losing hair faster than it grows.
  • Telogen effluvium – and hair loss - can be triggered by stressful events like WLS and the WLS diet.
  • It’s more common after gastric bypass and gastric sleeve surgeries than after the lap-band.
  • Hair loss is most severe around 3 to 6 months post-op.

It’s hard to predict who will lose their hair and who won’t after WLS. Also, there’s no fail-proof protection against hair loss. But there are a lot of promising strategies that work for some WLS patients that may work for you. The best part about them is that they’re also good for weight loss.

Protein: 65 or More Grams Daily

Protein is the foundation of your post-op WLS diet. It’s a nutrient that lets your surgery wounds heal. It also helps you maintain lean muscle mass as you lose weight. And when you get enough of it, it can help reduce hair loss.

Lap-band patients need at least 65 grams of Protein each day. Sleeve and bypass patients need 80 to 100 or more grams per day. Go lean with sources like tofu, chicken breast, tuna, egg whites, and non-fat yogurt and cottage cheese. If you can’t hit your needs with food, go for low-sugar protein shakes, protein powders, and protein bars.

Water: Not an Afterthought

Fluids aren’t always top on your mind when you’re worrying about your weight loss diet, but maybe they should be. When you choose calorie-free ones, they can help reduce hunger and lose more weight. Plus, Water prevents dehydration and symptoms like headaches and fatigue. It also promotes healing and lets your body function - and that’s good news for your hair.

Aim for at least 64 ounces per day of calorie-free fluids, such as water, flavored waters, diet sports drinks, and broth/bouillon. Feel free to go for more, though!

Biotin and Silica: Ask Your Surgeon

Biotin and silica are essential nutrients. You can usually get enough of them from diet alone, but WLS changes that. Some people swear that Biotin and silica supplements can reduce hair loss, but the science doesn’t yet support that. Talk to your doctor before taking these supplements. Biotin is usually safe even in high doses, but too much silica can be a problem.

Essential Fatty Acids: Fats Are Good!

Fats are high-calorie, and they make many foods off limits: think fried foods, creamy foods, and fatty meats. But some fats are good, and they’re the ones that you’re most likely to be deficient in after WLS. The possible results? Scaly skin and…hair loss.

You don’t need huge amounts of fats to stay healthy. You could see a difference just by getting a little more omega-3 fat in your diet. Once you’re into the mushies/pureed foods stage, you can get omega-3’s from pureed boneless salmon and canned tuna. Later, you can add walnuts and flaxseeds. If you’re not eating these foods, you might want to ask your doctor about a fish oil supplement.

The Extras

Why does hair fall out? Stress! So let’s see…what stresses have you already put on your body? There’s the stress of surgery; the stress of starving your body at least, that’s what your body thinks when you drop down to 1,000 calories a day; the stress of changing your entire lifestyle and possibly your relationships.

When you think about all the stress in life, it’s a wonder anyone has any hair left at all! So when possible, try to reduce stress however you can.

• Get enough sleep.< br>
  • Take time for yourself.
  • Exercise daily.
  • Laugh it off…whatever “it” is, it’s probably not worth losing your hair over!

Taking good care of yourself after WLS can help prevent hair loss, but not always. Still, you can take heart in the fact that it probably won’t last for more than a few months. And at the other end of those few months, you’ll be down several pounds. Isn’t a little hair loss worth it if the payback is to be healthy?

Thanks Alex for this valuable information. I heard about the Biotin but this is the first i have heard of Silica. Is that a Vitamin that can be obtained over the counter? I haven't had the surgery yet, been on a 6 month supervised diet. Each day I am seeing more and more hair in my brush. I think my age may have something to do with it, but I am afraid I will lose even more after the surgery.

You're very welcome! It's a mineral and you can find it over the counter in any store that sells Vitamins.< /p>

As Alex said, don't be afraid of the hair loss. It is so very worth it in the end.

I was one of the unfortunate people that had massive Hair loss for a very long period of time. I also am going through menopause so I am sure this added to it.

Mine started what I will now call mild hair loss while on the liver cleanse diet. (At the time I thought it was a lot and was hoping it would mean it would end sooner)

Well, it was just the beginning. It started very heavily right around 10 weeks post op and it progressively got heavier. It was still coming out at 12 months post op for me and I had lost about 2/3 of my hair volume.

Of course while this was happening I was taking loads of Biotin, getting my Protein every day consistently, getting at least 64 oz. of Water on top of all the other fluids you get in your foods. It started growing back in very fast almost right away all the while it was still coming out.

I saw several doctors and everyone assured me that when my weight loss slowed down, my hair loss would slow down.

Right about the 12 1/2 month mark the loss slowed and has now almost stopped. At the end of this month I will be 14 months post op.

I have loads of new hair growing in and of course short hairs popping up everywhere. Hubby and I were looking at my pics I have been taking along the way and you can see that my hair is returning to its full volume.

I chose to cut my hair short while this was happening just because hair was everywhere. I had a new short sassy haircut and a very healthy svelte body.

Who can companies about that. If I haven't said it, it is worth every hair that falls out of your head.

@@Alex Brecher is there any particular place on the head from which hair is generally lost first, or more severely, than others? Any advice about haircuts during this general phase? I just entered the 3 to 6 month category, and have a cut scheduled for early December. Scrap it?

@@Alex Brecher is there any particular place on the head from which hair is generally lost first, or more severely, than others? Any advice about haircuts during this general phase? I just entered the 3 to 6 month category, and have a cut scheduled for early December. Scrap it?

I'm honestly not sure. I think it falls out from different areas for different people. Cutting won't make it any worse or better but you might want to hold off if you feel the haircut will thin your hair out even more. This is a temporary condition and most people get their hair back in due time.

Luckily I only had normal shedding, so no hair loss for this gal!! But, I have been taking Biotin for about 4 years prior to surgery to grow out a short short pixie cut (which was NOT the best cut for me as obese as I was.....but no one told me that!!) My hair is long and wavy. and thick and full. I had the fear, but it wasn't enough to stop me from getting healthy with this surgery. I figured...if I was one of the unlucky ones who lost their hair, they make wigs, or I could shave my head and deal with it. Nothing was going to stop me from this life changing/saving procedure! Sleeves ROCK!

I have not had hair loss. I am losing slowly though... very slow. I have my hair at 7 months... so everyone doesn't lose it!

Inbox me I started my own products that will guarantee ur hair will grow.I have pictures. I had gastric sleeve and noticed my hair thinning on one side started mixed organic and natural products and within 2weeks hair started thicking...inbox me

Loosing your hair is not a part of the process.ig you loose hair you are not getting enough nutrients. Don't except your hair falling out.. Protein, Water, Vitamins and exercise. Think positive. Don't listen to other people everyone is different.

So I took a ton of Biotin, drank tons of Water, and worked hard to keep up with my Protein. I still lost so much of my hair on top that I couldn't go out in public without a head covering. At first, I was getting really bummed about it (though, even at that time, I did NOT regret the surgery one little bit!), but I did a lot of research, and got a really pretty, very realistic looking wig and after weight loss, and with a head full of hair, I got all my confidence back. I am at 20 months out, and still don't have all of my hair back. It's very fine and thin and the texture is really curly now. I just keep wearing wigs. I love them, and no one has any idea unless I tell them, and then they act like I'm joking with them. Even though I put off having surgery for fear of losing my hair, I finally realized that the trade off was worth it. Seriously, I can always buy hair. Can't buy health or a new body if mine starts breaking down. It was still worth it, and I wouldn't change a thing.

So I took a ton of Biotin, drank tons of Water, and worked hard to keep up with my Protein. I still lost so much of my hair on top that I couldn't go out in public without a head covering. At first, I was getting really bummed about it (though, even at that time, I did NOT regret the surgery one little bit!), but I did a lot of research, and got a really pretty, very realistic looking wig and after weight loss, and with a head full of hair, I got all my confidence back. I am at 20 months out, and still don't have all of my hair back. It's very fine and thin and the texture is really curly now. I just keep wearing wigs. I love them, and no one has any idea unless I tell them, and then they act like I'm joking with them. Even though I put off having surgery for fear of losing my hair, I finally realized that the trade off was worth it. Seriously, I can always buy hair. Can't buy health or a new body if mine starts breaking down. It was still worth it, and I wouldn't change a thing.

Hi Decemberroses

Can you recommend wig suppliers? The wigs I've seen that I like are super expensive. TY!