Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regretting it already..(day 1)

The weird feelings are, like others have said, competely normal. I sat in a hotel room after my surgery wondering if I made the right decsion. The flight home was hell and I am certain if anyone spoke to me I would have attempted to throw them out of the plane. Now, slightly more than one month in, I wish I could have done this a few years ago. I am very happy with the results.....and I just started. I know this was the right thing to do and regret none of it. I can hike again (already) I will be biking again soon (if the snow doesn;t fly first) and, fingers crossed, get back into rock climbing.

Support is vital. I am new here too but it seems that one can get a lot of support here (some tough love too it seems) and certainly a belly full of information. If you feel you have no one to talk to, post here. There are a bunch of folks who can and will listen.

Has anyone heard from @@ZombieQueen???

@@ZombieQueen everyone has rallied around you... We want to know how you are doing. Folks have taken the time to pour their hearts out to you and I hope that our efforts have reached and helped you.

Oh I felt the same way you did. It will get easier. I just read this so from then to now (5 days out) I hope you are feeling better. I wasn't prepared for the regret and anxiety I would feel. I don't feel I was forewarned like I should have been but by day 9 I started feeling so much better. I am almost 3 months out now and honestly forget that I even had the sleeve. This time will pass. I remember crying and wishing that I could fast forward to 1 month or 3 months out. It will fly by and before you know it you are going to love the new you. I promise!

Thank you so much!!!

You may need a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) to reduce the acids in your stomach. Something over the counter like Omeprazole (Prilosec). I took that every day for like 6 months.

Excess acid can cause all sorts of stomach upset - nausea, feelings of hunger.

Hoping by now you are starting to feel better and are moving towards the light at the end of the tunnel.

Hey everyone. Update: I never expected so much support! Thank you all.. This is really so uplifting and warms my heart so much.. Thanks for everything you guys have shared with me, even those with tough love. Anyway..on how I'm doing. I ended up going to the er due to pain in my legs specifically my left leg as well as bad chest pain I'd been getting that had progressively gotten worse the night before. They did some ultrasounds and ct scans, everythings fine with my legs but they did find I have Pnuemonia and put me on antiobiotics. It was awful, and made me feel even more miserable forcing down that awful tasting liquid meds daily. Fortunately yesterday was my last day. As far as exercise goes, I've been keeping up with it well but I've been truly disappointed in myself. I haven't exactly been making the best choices of what I put into my mouth the past 3 days or so. I woke up today an a realization hit me. I can't believe the choices I've been making after I've wanted this so badly to change my life and my health for the better. I've been pretty angry at myself all day today. I'm tired of feeling sorry for myself so I vowed that I'm done with all the Bs and crying over spilled milk. Whats done is done, making bad choices have put my life at risk, have put me at risk for leaks and for failure. I can't accept what I've been doing, this next week I'm going to be as strict as I ever been and keep with the rules until I get the Ok that I can start on soft foods. I can't say that I'm exactly 100% happy with how things are going, I still have had my fair share of miserable moments but I can say, looking at my progress that I am glad I made this decision (You guys were right!). I just need to start putting a bit more effort into my health and myself. Anyway thank you all so much again! I've read everything single one of your posts, they have made me laugh and brought tears to my eyes. I can say Its definitely brightened my week! Especially with how bad I've been feeling.. Sending good vibes to each and every one of you <3 hope you're having a fruitful & uplifting day!

edit: btw the pain is almost all the way gone! which has been my 2nd favorite thing so far! :)

Edited by ZombieQueen

I am so glad to hear you are on the mend.

You are definitely worth caring for and treating yourself with care and kindness is the best way to heal.

Thanks for the update.

I had my sleeve on the 9th. To be honest, I spent the first day or so seriously reconsidering my decision. Did I really need to do this? Couldn't I have just dieted a bit more? Maybe exercise wasn't so difficult after all...and now I have this new diet to follow for life...why did I do this? I heard from a bunch of folks about how easy it would be, little pain, ect. Then I tried moving from the bed to chair the first day and saw stars...I suddenly wanted to punch a bunch of folks...

Then I got up and started moving. I saw myself in the mirror, and remembered why I did it. I've already tanked multiple diets. I was tired all the time, so exercise was hard, and while I was doing it, I wasn't seeing the massive changes I needed for reinforcement. The new diet, hasn't been horrible and two weeks in, I'm already to the puree diet with semi real food. Sure the quantities are way small, but they are filling.

For me, my recovery hasn't been gradual, but significant in stages. The first day, moving to the chair was hard, then standing was hard and a few hours later I was walking the halls. I was home by the second day, and each day was a major step forward. I used the pain meds for the first day, but being hypersensitive to taste, the liquid Tylenol with codeine I was prescribed tasted something like cough Syrup mixed with battery acid, and I couldn't stand taking it. So, no more meds. I was more concerned about the nausea then the soreness. By the third day, I was up and around regularly, if a little gingerly getting in and out of bed, standing and sitting, and so on. I wanted to go back to work by day five, but due to a scheduling snafu had to take a full week off. Another week and the staples were out and I felt like a new man. I was hating those things by the end, and couldn't have been happier to have em out.

The only way is forward into the brave healthy new life we've started. ;)

Each day post op you feel 10 x better than the day before. Hang in there

So yesterday I was sleeved. I had a rough night, and a tough day. I feel like ****, I don't feel normal anymore. All I feel is pain and staples. To top it off my surgeon kinda freaked on me for not getting in enough liquids and that was totally discouraging. I'm pretty much regretting this decision fully at this point, and I have no one to talk to about this either. I guess maybe my doc doesn't see something great in me that I didn't see before but I do now. This is not for me, and I'm scared about how to live right now. My bestfriend is the liquid pain meds at this moment..an I feel like I could just break down and cry. All I feel is pain inside and out..and I'm scared this could all be for nothing.

I think just about everyone has a moment of regret or buyer's remorse in the first few days/weeks after surgery. I remember calling my friend who was sleeved a year before me from the hospital saying "I can't believe you talked me into this! Why didn't you tell me it would be like this." She assured me it would get way better very quickly, and she was right.

The first days/weeks you are going through sugar withdraw, carb withdraw, caffeine withdraw, plus you just had a relatively major surgery which demands that you completely change the way you've eaten probably all of your life. There's a lot of both physical and emotional change all at once. I promise it will get better and you will look back on it and say that you would do it all over again! ((hugs))

Hi, Caressa! Thanks for the link to your blog...I started reading it and enjoying your insights and experiences...I was curious...did you have any cosmetic surgery for loose skin or do you have any tips on how you managed? Your pictures look amazing!!!

So yesterday I was sleeved. I had a rough night, and a tough day. I feel like ****, I don't feel normal anymore. All I feel is pain and staples. To top it off my surgeon kinda freaked on me for not getting in enough liquids and that was totally discouraging. I'm pretty much regretting this decision fully at this point, and I have no one to talk to about this either. I guess maybe my doc doesn't see something great in me that I didn't see before but I do now. This is not for me, and I'm scared about how to live right now. My bestfriend is the liquid pain meds at this moment..an I feel like I could just break down and cry. All I feel is pain inside and out..and I'm scared this could all be for nothing.

I think just about everyone has a moment of regret or buyer's remorse in the first few days/weeks after surgery. I remember calling my friend who was sleeved a year before me from the hospital saying "I can't believe you talked me into this! Why didn't you tell me it would be like this." She assured me it would get way better very quickly, and she was right.

The first days/weeks you are going through sugar withdraw, carb withdraw, caffeine withdraw, plus you just had a relatively major surgery which demands that you completely change the way you've eaten probably all of your life. There's a lot of both physical and emotional change all at once. I promise it will get better and you will look back on it and say that you would do it all over again! ((hugs))

Hi, Caressa! Thanks for the link to your blog...I started reading it and enjoying your insights and experiences...I was curious...did you have any cosmetic surgery for loose skin or do you have any tips on how you managed? Your pictures look amazing!!!

Yes I had a tummy tuck/panni at 18 months post op. There is lots of info on the procedure, my recovery & before & after pics on my blog. Specifically May & June of 2015

We've all been there! It WILL get better, I promise you! Hang in there. Try to do all the right things. You'll be glad you did it!