Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need protein, weight loss stall at 2 weeks

I'm 2 weeks post op and I've only been able to get down my Protein Drink once, it made me super nauseated so I've been avoiding it since. I've been trying to find other ways to get Protein but with little luck. I'm having trouble eating a lot of things that are on my approved list, like lunch meats I just can't eat them. I've had no problem with cream of wheat and Soup though.

I've been stuck at the same weight for the past 3 days and I know calling my surgeons office will result in being told I need my protein. I just need some help in finding other ways to get protein. I'm just too scared to eat anything now and need things that are soft and easy to eat. Any suggestions?

have you tried mixing unjury Protein in your Soup? There are also Protein waters out there that could help. Can you eat scrambled eggs? Probably won't be able to eat more than one. I add some cheese to bring the protein level a little higher. I am only about 3 weeks out and just am at the pureed stage and can only get about 1 1/2 oz down at a time so I have to concentrate on only protein.I am supposed to eat 5 times a day, but right now can only get in 4 - but I try to get around 9 grams of protein in each time. I also supplement my last meal every day with the Unjury unflavored Protein powder so I can at least get near 60 grams of protein. I can't down the Protein shakes either and found out I am lactose intolerant - but there are many other ways to get protein. I have suggested a few, but feel sure other folks will be able to shed more light :) Good luck!

Are you sure you can have meats this early? Most of us are on pureed foods or at least soft foods only at 4 weeks. Turkey would have been way too hard for me to digest at 2 weeks.

You HAVE to get Protein in. What kind of shakes have you tried? Premier Protein ready made shakes are really good - not gritty. And know that early on, everything is hard to get down. You need to try shakes again. Alternatively, at the very least try some Protein Powder mixed with stuff. For example, I use Precision Engineered whey Protein Isolate (which is only 10% lactose and 30g protein). I mix half a scoop of vanilla powder into flavored greek yogurt or half a scoop of chocolate powder with Jello sugar free Chocolate pudding cup. I also ate hummus mixed with unflavored protein powder. And pimento cheese mixed with unflavored powder. Oh and fat free refried Beans with shredded low fat cheese on top. (I ate that one a lot and still do at 5 months out.) Hope that helps!!

Thanks for the input! I was trying to follow my instructions from my doctor and by two weeks I could have ground chicken/turkey and lunch meats but I still think it's too soon. The only downside to trying other Protein is the expense and i'm worried it will me me sick. I am going to try the premier, tomorrow I will head to sams and get a case. I think I'm just going to have to back off the solids for now. I also might try the unjury as well, I've heard a lot of good about that brand as well.

@@Daisee68

I was approved for soft Proteins at day 10 post-op. I was never required a pureed stage and was told to start filling my meals with soft, dense Proteins by day 11.

Obviously every plan is different but I have had no issues with the phases of my diet. In fact many of the issues that plague a lot of people post-op, I never experienced. I wasn't lethargic after week one, I have been "regular" since four days post-op and I have lost at least five-six pounds a week, with one minor stall in week six. I also have had no issues getting in all my fluids, required proteins, Vitamins and feel great!

I hate telling people what my phases were as I don't want them thinking, "well if her doctor said she could, then I should be allowed to eat that too!" I want everyone to be successful at their weight loss after given their new tool. :)

@@shadowsoldier I don't want to sound negative here and by all means you should listen to your doctor but you have to keep in mind your insides are going to take about 4 months to heal. The reason we're told (we were handed books telling us specifically what to eat at Mayo) to follow the different stages of liquids, purees, soft, etc. is because the opening from our new pouch to our newly connected intestine is the size of our pinkie finger nail. It has to be slowly stretched by this process. That's why it's also very important not to stay in the liquid stage longer because of fear of discomfort. Protein is driven home constantly and it is of the utmost importance. It will continue to be the rest of our lives. Day 2 being home from the hospital I was getting in my 60 grams and today at almost 7 months post-op, I'm averaging 130 grams of Protein. It can be done but I am able to do it by supplementing my diet with Protein2o Water (dual liquid in my book) and by using Premier Protein ready-made shakes as coffee Creamer, milk substitute in recipes, etc. Give them a try but no matter what get your protein in!

Here's something else that helped me that I read at bariatriceating.com:

Sew what?
In terms of food, you must stick to your surgeons program for post op food stages. You need time to allow the tiny pouch cut and sewn from the fabric of your giant floppy stomach to heal itself closed. We have all glued something only to have the seams pop open. The liquid and soft food stages are to avoid stressing pouch seams and give your stomach a break from the process of digestion.

Is ice cream a puree?
Sirloin steak is not a soft food. Ice cream is NOT a puree. You can’t eat popcorn, raw carrots or celery ten days after surgery. People ask if we think they could have a pork chop, we say ‘no’, they eat it anyhow, then tell us ‘they didn’t have a problem’. No alcohol for a year… non negotiable… but people push back saying their surgeon said five weeks was okay. Folks… we know better and we are trying to help you.

General Tso? NOT your friend
The post op dietary stages are not a suggestion, they are a requirement for you own safety. You cannot eat Chinese food the week after surgery because you ‘chew it well’. A ‘craving’ for Orange chicken landed one support group member in the hospital! It’s a very bad idea to push. Being ‘released’ to ‘regular food’ does not mean what you think it does, but you already know that. How long until you can have pizza again? “Pizza is not a food for someone having obesity surgery.” (that’s a quote from Dr. N on My 600 lb Life) Every single week in our support group, these actions land new post ops in the hospital.

Sip sip sip sip sip…
If you had a back injury, you would not tile your kitchen floor the same week. Yet, people think nothing of making a trip to a theme park when they should be at home resting and taking in fluids. People ask us ‘Do you think I would be able to go on a cruise two weeks after my sleeve?’ (Nooooo!) As high as 30% of post ops are dehydrated enough to land back in the hospital with a Fluid IV. Not drinking enough Water after surgery can cause heart damage. Dehydration is the most common bariatric complication, yet it’s largely avoidable. Stay home and heal… drink hot water, cold water, broth, Diet Snapple, herbal tea, eat sf ice pops and Jello. (We have a free bariatric water app called HY, click for GetHyApp.com)

What’s eating you?
If eating is a compulsion that you cannot control, ask your surgeon to suggest someone for you to talk to. A therapist can help you come to conclusions about your life – you talk, they listen and even after one chat you’ll often have a clearer truth of why you use eating as comfort. Knowing what drives you can help you deal with your eating issues to better work with your surgery.

Vitamins are critical
It is impossible for you to have your stomach surgically removed or reconfigured and take in the nutrients needed to run your body. While your surgeons group has mentioned Flintstones, that is so you will possibly take something instead of being one of the 67% of post ops who take nothing. They are not optimal and won’t prevent long term problems like broken bones from simple falls and losing teeth, but may keep you from dying in the short term. The idea behind supplements is to prevent issues from grabbing you in twenty years when it’s too late to change the path. Take them!

Protein from food? What a novel idea!
Yes, yes, yes, we’d all like to get our protein from food and that’s what you want to hear. However, if you are unable to take in 70 grams of protein per day, you can either weaken and lose your hair or you can figure out another way until you are able to learn and eat the right foods. Protein drinks make up the difference between what you can eat and what you need. They are not simply a tasty beverage for your enjoyment for you to be all picky and ridiculous over. They are the antidote for your disease of morbid obesity. Morbid means death and obesity surgery only slows and reverses the disease IF you follow your plan.

Please wake up get very serious about what you have done to your body. There are obvious rewards to losing 150 pounds, but it does not need take place at the expense of your life. Peace.

post-236324-0-35360800-1446958874_thumb.jpg

post-236324-0-62404300-1446958888_thumb.jpg

@@Daisee68

I was approved for soft Proteins at day 10 post-op. I was never required a pureed stage and was told to start filling my meals with soft, dense Proteins by day 11.

Obviously every plan is different but I have had no issues with the phases of my diet. In fact many of the issues that plague a lot of people post-op, I never experienced. I wasn't lethargic after week one, I have been "regular" since four days post-op and I have lost at least five-six pounds a week, with one minor stall in week six. I also have had no issues getting in all my fluids, required proteins, Vitamins and feel great!

I hate telling people what my phases were as I don't want them thinking, "well if her doctor said she could, then I should be allowed to eat that too!" I want everyone to be successful at their weight loss after given their new tool. :)

I agree with what you've said and I'm glad you are doing great! The tips here have helped me a lot and I'm getting back in to getting my Protein. Just going to have to do some ordering online for a few things and I should be good.

And you are right about every dr/person is different in what they are told. All the research i've done before surgery has helped me to remember I am different from the next person. But it makes a world of a difference in the suggestions for ways to get Protein that I had't considered before! :)

I got some Okois triple zero yogurt yesterday because others had mentioned it on this site. Although I am lactose intolerant, I tolerated it well and it went down well also. It has 15 grams of Protein per serving, which is nice.

I also got some Fairlife milk. It is lactose free and has 13 grams Protein per 8 oz glass. I will probably incorporate that as a snack.