Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clothes - when to purge?

Hi, all! My surgery is in Dec. I'm dying to go through my closet and purge stuff that won't fit (summer clothes, etc), but I'm nervous in case something falls through!

What did you do?

I didn't purge anything until it got too big and then I gave it away.

When it gets to big it goes into the donate pile. When the donate pile gets big enough, it goes to the good will.

Ditto, @sweetie716. Those summer clothes will be too big when summer comes around again, however, it may be astonishing to try some on this next summer and realize how far you've come.

I kept one pair of my size 26 jeans. it is crazy to get in them now. i'd suggest maybe keeping one or two of your items.

Depends on what kind of storage space you have. We have attic storage, so I took a bunch of my stuff and boxed it up and it's in the attic. Our weather can get unpredictable, and I don't have my date yet, so I just put it in the attic. I plan to have lots of fun tossing things that have been too small because they're too big, y'know?

I did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING with my big clothes. Even leaving them with somebody else can be a jinx on your efforts. I put them in boxes at a relative's house, and then needed to ask for them back a year later (I didn't have any surgery at that point). Likewise, I never did anything with my small clothes from back then, and now I don't have to spend all my free hours in department stores looking for stuff that I don't even know how long I'm going to need. I've never understood why people do anything with their old clothes, other than give them away as gifts or charity. Even the biggest stuff I have still fits fine to wear around the house in a sloppy manner. Not that I would wear them out on the town any longer.

purge stuff that won't fit - I'm nervous in case something falls through!

@@DaisyAmy

hey bud

are you saying to keep your old big clothes in case you gain the weight back??

please don't go into surgery with the thought you might fail surgery, gain a lot/all your weight back :blink:

my thoughts are - don't keep the the bigger clothes around

i put my big clothes in storage in our basement

out of sight, out of mind ;)

after 6 months or so, i started to give them to rescue mission

if they are in your closet, too easy to grab - you don't want to gain the weight back

easy excuse to say, "oh well, i have my big clothes in closet i can wear if i screw up"

i did that in the past!!

side note - at GOAL i realized i didn't have any old big clothes

went to Kohl's and bought my familiar 2X blue jeans as a "keepsake"

i cried when i tried them on, seeing what i used to look like

they hang in the back of my closet

that's my story and i sticking to it!! LOL

good luck with surgery next month :rolleyes:

i have confidence in you that you'll do great PO

kathy

Last week I got rid of almost all my clothes I am down 3 almost 4 sizes. I don't have storage space, and I think it bad karma to keep clothes I have no intentions of ever wearing again when other people could use them. I took 5 garbage bags of clothes to goodwill. It felt great. It was very therapeutic. Dump them, don't keep them. I know some people like to keep clothes for later to compare, I'm not into that but if you want to keep one or two things for that, then do it, but get rid of the old big clothes.

So dump them once you can try them on and they don't fit, but if you store your summer clothes, then just dump them all.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

My largest size was probably size 20. I had really nice clothes at everything down to size 14 and a few nice 12s I could wear at my lower weights.

When I hit the 12s, I donated everything to charity, a sister, and others.

It felt like I lost another 50 pounds! So therapeutic. I'd never done that before. Always feared gaining the weight back and having nothing "nice" to wear.

I don't fear that this time. I'm now wearing mostly sizes 6-8. This weekend I bought some skinny Ralph Lauren jeans in size 4. Good golly, Miss Molly!

I purged as things became too big. I was very happy to see those 5x & 4x clothes go!

@proudgrammy. I'm still dealing with "cancer head" after my hysterectomy this summer, so in the back of my mind, I fear that something will happen to keep me from having the surgery. In confident that when it's done, I'm doing to rock the weight loss. ????

@ DaisyAmy said

dealing with "cancer head" hysterectomy this summer, back of my mind, I fear that something will happen to keep me from having the surgery

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@@DaisyAmy

sorry you have been dealing with the remnants from cancer surgery :(

i do understand how you are feeling

been there done that 15 years ago with my breast cancer

your surgery is scheduled in december

you might be feeling more confident to go ahead with WLS

you've "probably" wanted to have WLS for a long time

if you don't think mentally you are prepared

postpone for a couple of months, or as long as you need

you should/need to have piece of mind

to have or not to have surgery - your decision will be right for you

final thought (my opinion) you/me can't be scared of what MIGHT happen in the future

should concentrate on the present - the future will take care of itself

congrats on joining the "survivor" club :rolleyes:

always nice to have new members

good luck bud

kathy

(hugggggss)

Hey I have a question for all. At what point did you stop wearing you current clothing after surgery. I am 8 weeks post-op and down 38 lbs but I can still wear my same clothes. I just tighten up the belt or whatever. Plus I now can just dry them instead of hanging them up to dry yeah! But my family members keep saying stuff like your pants are too baggy stuff like that. But I just think they are comfortable so why bother. What do you think is it a psychosomatic thing or is this what everyone does?

Edited by smb1966

I just went thru my things and gave away items I've had forever and hadn't worn yet.. Left my usual pieces will get rid if rest as it gets too big..????