Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worried I can't do the pre-op diet!

Just came in to say I'm so glad I didn't have a pre op diet, lol. But then I had to do 6 weeks of liquids after my surgery because of GERD complications, so I guess it makes me even......lol.

Take a deep breath. If you tell yourself now, a month ahead of starting on the Yellow Brick Road, that you can't do it, you won't, in which case, cancel everything now. The entire process is about making choices. You got to the point where you chose to investigate surgery and kept choosing each of the next steps you've taken. Choose to follow the pre-op diet.

I sustained a concussion in early May and was discharged from vision rehab a few weeks ago and from vestib rehab yesterday. I'm not completely healed, so will continue vestib exercises until I am. I've been consumed by the concussion effects, fretful that I'll have them forever, and beginning to feel as though I am the concussion. Not being too dumb, I recalled that overthinking something can make it the entire reality; I choose to think about it minimally and, happy to say, the feeling of being my illness evaporated. Now I'm just a person who happens to be working on the issue. You're overthinking your situation. You don't have to do that to yourself.

A very wise NP who worked in a bariatric practice and had a lapband of her own would tell people who feared being unable to stick with a two-week, pre-op liquid diet that "You can do anything for two weeks." The same applies to four or any amount. Focus on your objectives and know now how wonderful you'll feel when you see yourself achieving them. Forget the parts of your history that serve no good purpose for your present or future.

I to live with a chronic issue that affects just about every move I make. I understand not becoming your illness. I do find myself all consumed at times and it stresses me out. At times I think it would be easier if I didn't need food at all. I have been a all or nothing mentality. I am working on this one day at a time. I want to change and I want to succeed! Thank you for your words of support! :)

Castilo15 -

Not sure if you have had a chance to ready the replies to your post, but you are getting the best advice from all vantage points: some who are walking the path, some who completed the pre-op and those who have done pre-op with a few hiccups.

soak it all in, know that people who have never met you in person are rooting for you; want to see you succeed and will do what they can to provide encouragement, support and advice.

I am currently at the mid-way point in my pre-op, I don't have to do full liquid but I do have to stay below 1200 cal with no carbs, starch, fruit or added sugar...I can't tell you how many times I wanted a potato chip or bread for my sandwich.. but instead I used romaine leaf to wrap my sandwich in, and only a half a slice of cheese.

For Breakfast last Saturday I had 1 sausage patty (which my NUT said was okay) and 2oz of egg beaters, lunch was Protein shake and dinner was baked Cod with sauteed spinach using a tbs of olive oil..

Water .. Water ,water sip of non-flavor vodka :)...water...water water

We all have our hills to climb, I like to have grapefruit as before bed snack, now I have water..I can't lie it sucks

but.. and this a big big but.. its only for 2 weeks.. i will face an entirely new set of eating habit changing challenges post-op and 4weeks post op and 8 weeks post op.. i am looking forward to change in not only my taste buds, but other eating habits and of course the weight loss.

So again soak in all of what everyone is saying, take the parts and pieces of the advice you can apply to your life to make a plan, to climb this hill. We will be here cheering you on the entire way and even after your procedure...why..because we care..

~MojoCAMI

Thank you!:) I can feel the love for sure. I am looking forward to after the surgery. I have heard a lot of people say their taste for things have changed. I have been a picky eater all my life ( this is where my pre-op fear comes from) and really want a change. I know it's a choice on my part but I have lived in food hell for so long it's hard to change. I have recently made some changes and it ended up alright. Everyday is getting better. :)

Castilo15 -

Not sure if you have had a chance to ready the replies to your post, but you are getting the best advice from all vantage points: some who are walking the path, some who completed the pre-op and those who have done pre-op with a few hiccups.

soak it all in, know that people who have never met you in person are rooting for you; want to see you succeed and will do what they can to provide encouragement, support and advice.

I am currently at the mid-way point in my pre-op, I don't have to do full liquid but I do have to stay below 1200 cal with no carbs, starch, fruit or added sugar...I can't tell you how many times I wanted a potato chip or bread for my sandwich.. but instead I used romaine leaf to wrap my sandwich in, and only a half a slice of cheese.

For breakfast last Saturday I had 1 sausage patty (which my NUT said was okay) and 2oz of egg beaters, lunch was Protein shake and dinner was baked Cod with sauteed spinach using a tbs of olive oil..

Water .. Water ,water sip of non-flavor vodka :)...water...water water

We all have our hills to climb, I like to have grapefruit as before bed snack, now I have water..I can't lie it sucks

but.. and this a big big but.. its only for 2 weeks.. i will face an entirely new set of eating habit changing challenges post-op and 4weeks post op and 8 weeks post op.. i am looking forward to change in not only my taste buds, but other eating habits and of course the weight loss.

So again soak in all of what everyone is saying, take the parts and pieces of the advice you can apply to your life to make a plan, to climb this hill. We will be here cheering you on the entire way and even after your procedure...why..because we care..

~MojoCAMI

Thank you! :) I can feel the love for sure. I am looking forward to after the surgery. I have heard a lot of people say their taste for things have changed. I have been a picky eater all my life ( this is where my pre-op fear comes from) and really want a change. I know it's a choice on my part but I have lived in food hell for so long it's hard to change. I have recently made some changes and it ended up alright. Everyday is getting better. :)

You are most welcome.. I can say when it comes to taste, during this pre-op low carb high Protein dient, which is now full liquid as I am 2 days from surgery, has changed my taste buds a touch.. I was never a great water drinker but I have done better, I love chocolate but no longer have cravings for it.. and decaff coffee while not the greatest is not the devil I made it out to be..

So one step at a time.. we can do it.

So far....just shy of 4 weeks past surgery.....my taste preferences haven't changed. Same Protein drinks that tasted good pre-op are the same ones I like now. Same flavorings I put in broth are still just like they were prior.

The pre-op diet sucked.....BUT, there were a lot of benefits beyond the reason the surgeon emphasized (liver shrinking for safer surgery).

I'd been losing weight all along throughout the months leading up to surgery as I simply wanted to get the weight OFF. I'm mentally done with being physically heavy and the issues that it created in my life. I didn't give a crap how the weight came off.....or when it came off. It seemed silly to wait until surgery to get it off. Losing weight was the goal....not waiting around to start losing weight.

Anyway...the low calorie diet my NUT had me on was okay because it did offer me a calorie budget to spend how I wanted. I found that Proteins and fats would keep hunger at bay and focused my spending there each day.

Weight loss went slow but steady.

Hitting the pre-op diet of low carb Protein shakes really amplified the loss experienced.

I think it's a great gut check to see if you are ready. You are about to have significant surgery....that can't be reversed......in order to lose weight. It will NOT work if your mind isn't fully engaged and embracing the process.....providing the discipline and committed to the effort. If you can't reach this point then maybe for time is needed......more counseling.....more focus to reach the point of 110% commitment.

I've heard of some people going through the motions in the months leading up to surgery and then something happens as they are recovering.....a dedication for lack of a better term. They get behind the idea and they work through it successfully. Maybe that's what will happen with you.

Nothing is easy about this process that I've seen.

Folks calling it the easy way out are ignorant as hell.

@@Dub like you, my tastes never changed. I still love the things I always loved and still hate the things I always hated. I did have a temporary change in the very beginning where everything tasted too sweet. I switched to capsule Vitamins because the chewables were too sweet. I had to dilute Protein shakes and juice with milk or Water. But that all went away around 4-6 months. My tastes are the same now and my sleeve tolerates anything except carbonation and coffee (too acidic....causes heartburn). So I just found different teas I like instead of whine and complain about having to give up my beloved coffee.< /p>

I was also super excited to get started and just wanted the weight OFF. In fact I started my liquid preop early. No food funerals, just jumped in with both feet. I had no doubts I was doing the right thing. Diet restrictions, stalls, diarrhea, Constipation, food intolerances (couldn't do Water, artificial sweeteners or lactose for the first 4 months), etc never phased me because I knew it was all just part of the process. Hell, I was prepared to happily shave my head if I experienced hair loss. But I never did....maybe because I never stressed over it.

A good attitude and positive approach goes a long ways in making all of this easier. Negativity just turns the little things into monumental obstacles.

Edited by Kindle

So far....just shy of 4 weeks past surgery.....my taste preferences haven't changed. Same Protein drinks that tasted good pre-op are the same ones I like now. Same flavorings I put in broth are still just like they were prior.

The pre-op diet sucked.....BUT, there were a lot of benefits beyond the reason the surgeon emphasized (liver shrinking for safer surgery).

I'd been losing weight all along throughout the months leading up to surgery as I simply wanted to get the weight OFF. I'm mentally done with being physically heavy and the issues that it created in my life. I didn't give a crap how the weight came off.....or when it came off. It seemed silly to wait until surgery to get it off. Losing weight was the goal....not waiting around to start losing weight.

Anyway...the low calorie diet my NUT had me on was okay because it did offer me a calorie budget to spend how I wanted. I found that Proteins and fats would keep hunger at bay and focused my spending there each day.

Weight loss went slow but steady.

Hitting the pre-op diet of low carb Protein shakes really amplified the loss experienced.

I think it's a great gut check to see if you are ready. You are about to have significant surgery....that can't be reversed......in order to lose weight. It will NOT work if your mind isn't fully engaged and embracing the process.....providing the discipline and committed to the effort. If you can't reach this point then maybe for time is needed......more counseling.....more focus to reach the point of 110% commitment.

I've heard of some people going through the motions in the months leading up to surgery and then something happens as they are recovering.....a dedication for lack of a better term. They get behind the idea and they work through it successfully. Maybe that's what will happen with you.

Nothing is easy about this process that I've seen.

Folks calling it the easy way out are ignorant as hell.

I could see early on that this was in no way easy. When I was referred many months ago... I was so offended. I thought please I don't need this! Denial! Then I went to the seminar and the NUT appointments just for information. Truth is I've spent my whole life fat and don't know any other way. I am excited to see what and how my life will change. Don't get me wrong, I have made lots of little changes that NUT recommended.

4 weeks out... How are you feeling? Any surprises? I have fear of the unknown. :)

Honestly, the only thing that kept me (mostly) faithful to my pre-op diet, was fear that if i didn't follow it, my surgery would be cancelled or there would be problems during surgery.

As a self pay patient, traveling out of state for surgery, that was NOT an option.

I also thought, if I can just get through these next two weeks.... My life is going to change!

~*~ Find me on YouTube: Trisha's Sleeve Story ~*~

Day 2 of my pre-op diet and feel horrible. I'm just so darn hungry. My kidneys hurt and I'm having headaches. No energy.

I mentally ready. I want this so bad. I just want my body to agree.

I'm on day 5 of my 2 week liquid diet. Has it been tough? Yes. Would I kill for a heaping plate of real food? Yes. Do I want to continue living with this unhealthy obese body? HELL NO!!! So I power through it. I drink Water, Decaf coffee or tea when my mind tells me that I need to eat. I have my meals only at scheduled times so I know I'm not eating out of head hunger. And I always have my eyes on the end result. Good luck to you. You CAN do this.

I'm on Day 4 and it has been pretty difficult. I have had a constant headache and very low energy, but I know I can do it.

Hang in there everyone!!!

I just did my first weigh in since starting the 10 day diet and I'm not gonna lie it's hard! I would suggest trying a few of the products now to see what you will like so it's not a struggle to eat them or stray from the product. The noodle Soups and chocolate shakes with a zero calorie sweetener and unsweetened cocoa are my favorite! There are certain bars I like only like cinnamon because they're not that chewy horrible tasting????

I'm on all liquid starting tomorrow so I'll be using all kinds of mixed to get thru this!!

You can do it!!

I'm on day 8 of my pre-op diet... I can't lie and say I haven't cheated.. I did at least 4 of the 8 days... With veggie Soup, or just some veggies(one meal on those days) I Pray it doesn't effect my surgery.. I do very well all day until around 4-5pm and I'm starving! I try drinking Water, getting another shake but like I said there have been days I gave in and ate something solid! Not unhealthy solid though! But it concerns me due to straying from my doctors orders! I applaud all who never strayed and got through it. In two more days it will be Clear Liquids ONLY and I'm reading more and more to motivate me and prepare me!! Thx for allowing me to share!! I've come too far to give in now!!

Question... Anybody have severe gas/diarrhea during their pre-op?? Is this normal or should I be concerned?

My #1 tip, stay busy! Plan something with friends. Walk the neighborhood. Do anything to keep your mind away from food. You can do this! It is worth it! You are worth it!

My #2 tip, don't put something in your mouth just to taste it (I did), bad mistake! Pure torture! And I swallowed.

My #1 tip, stay busy! Plan something with friends. Walk the neighborhood. Do anything to keep your mind away from food. You can do this! It is worth it! You are worth it!

My #2 tip, don't put something in your mouth just to taste it (I did), bad mistake! Pure torture! And I swallowed.

Thank you! I have some planning to do! :)