Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yogurt, Milk - Dr against both for several months

Through out the last 8 months I've been reading reading reading. Not just this site but others. My surgery is in 2 weeks and and my Surgeons method of diet after seems much different than what I've read a lot of on here. I am totally going to follow his guidelines because he is my surgeon and was recommended by my Primary Dr. He also works out of a Bariatric Center of Excellence, and I know several people who have gone there with MUCH success.

However, he is totally against any yogurt until 4 months post op, and totally against any form of milk (regular, skim, soy, almond, fairfield, etc...) until you're at least 75% to goal weight. No cream Soups either...

Huh?

From what I've read this seems to differ a lot. I know we all have different surgeons and different direction, but I'm a little perplexed.

What gives? For me I don't like yogurt but planned on using it to put Protein powder in. I also like my protein shakes so much better with almond milk but I will use them with Water now.

Any one elses Dr like this?

Edited by HopeandAgony

Did he explain why? I rarely use milk these days but used to drink almond milk. I stopped because it's too much carbs and fat for the Protein payoff. I still use plain greek yogurt regularly though and my NUT has never had an issue with it. I'd love tot hear his reasoning why he doesn't recommend it.

Why not ask him what his reasoning is? I haven't run across anyone with this restriction. I have run across folks who are lactose intolerant, just not a surgeon or NUT prohibiting the entire food group.

I sure would be interested in knowing how in the world you are going to hit your Protein goal without whey since it is the most prevalent one out there.

My surgeon is very strict, too.

I knew this upfront and had the opportunity to pursue another surgeon. I chose not to, but to follow his guidelines.

Doing so has not only helped me with the healing of my new "stomach", promoted aggressive weight loss while allowing high Protein intake it has also kept me from being "food focused". I am glad for all three.

One of the biggest benefits has been breaking that food-focus. Look around on here and you'll see the same folks post day in and day out...."Can I eat this? Can I make this recipe? When can I eat this?". It seems like they are in a cycle of self-torment by staying so focused on food. This whole thing is about losing weight in an aggressive way. We had body altering surgeries to aid us with this. Becoming disassociated with food is a good thing right now.

Sorry......long reply that wandered off course.

Short response is: Yes, my surgeon is the same way. I am better off for it, too.

Did he explain why? I rarely use milk these days but used to drink almond milk. I stopped because it's too much carbs and fat for the Protein payoff. I still use plain greek yogurt regularly though and my NUT has never had an issue with it. I'd love tot hear his reasoning why he doesn't recommend it.

Why not ask him what his reasoning is? I haven't run across anyone with this restriction. I have run across folks who are lactose intolerant, just not a surgeon or NUT prohibiting the entire food group.

I meet with him directly on the 11th and will ask. This was communicated via his nutritionist and nursing team. They had an entire video as well as on hand dietician to talk about the importance of avoiding these things.

I sure would be interested in knowing how in the world you are going to hit your Protein goal without whey since it is the most prevalent one out there.

I am not worried about meeting my goals...yet. I know that's easy to say since I've not had my surgery yet, but I have bought several top quality products to ensure I have everything I need on hand, even if it comes down to mixing Protein Powder in broth, Water with crystal light, etc...

I was also surprised that when I get home from the hospital (day 3 after surgery) I can eat cottage cheese, eggs, and all other pureed foods. Nice for me, though a little scary. Soft foods starting week 2, normal meats at 1 month with added veggies, and I can add fruit at month 2. I'm not complaining. Just perplexed by the yogurt/milk thing.

Edited by HopeandAgony

I was also surprised that when I get home from the hospital (day 3 after surgery) I can eat cottage cheese, eggs, and all other pureed foods. Nice for me, though a little scary. Soft foods starting week 2, normal meats at 1 month with added veggies, and I can add fruit at month 2. I'm not complaining. Just perplexed by the yogurt/milk thing.

I'm not knocking anyone's program, I'm just curious as to why. I have no doubt you can hit Protein goals without it. Also seems rather arbitrary to allow cottage cheese but not yogurt. I understand not allowing the flavored yogurts, but why not plain Greek yogurt?

I would say ask your surgeon about you personally. I talked to my Dr about some of the things in my books and all the Drs in the whole group/hospital use the same book. So people who are having DS or RNY are getting the same book as someone with the sleeve. They make it the same so it makes the pre-op classes and stuff easier.

I found though asking questions, things can be different with the sleeve.

I'm not knocking anyone's program, I'm just curious as to why. I have no doubt you can hit Protein goals without it. Also seems rather arbitrary to allow cottage cheese but not yogurt. I understand not allowing the flavored yogurts, but why not plain Greek yogurt?
That's exactly what I thought!! I just wanted some variety. I don't even like yogurt but the thought of having something besides cottage cheese was nice...lol. I am also surprised I can't have refried Beans or any Beans until 1 month. I was soooooo looking forward to refried beans during the pureed stage because I love them. Sigh.

I would say ask your surgeon about you personally. I talked to my Dr about some of the things in my books and all the Drs in the whole group/hospital use the same book. So people who are having DS or RNY are getting the same book as someone with the sleeve. They make it the same so it makes the pre-op classes and stuff easier.

I found though asking questions, things can be different with the sleeve.

I will definitely be asking. Thanks

Edited by HopeandAgony

Yeah, I think it's odd, too.

And if you don't understand why, then it's incumbent on you to ask.

And when you find out, I'd like to know the surgeon's reasons (if you wouldn't mind sharing them).

P.S. I'll also say that I think it's possible for "the rules" to get garbled and misunderstood, even within the same medical office / organization / team.

This (but not the yogurt/milk restriction) sounds very similar to my post-op plan. I was really nervous about having solids so soon, since it's much different that most other plans I've read about, but I have to say, when I see so many posts about people being super miserable on their clear or full liquid diet for WEEKS post op, I'm really glad I had the plan I did. I never felt hungry or deprived, I had a super smooth recovery and my loss has been great! I followed my plan as written, and never had a single episode of nausea or vomiting. I'm now 9 weeks post op, and feel like I'm eating like a fairly normal person, just very low carb, and small portions.

But yeah, to allow cottage cheese, but not yogurt, and to group cows milk and almond milk into the same category is just... Odd... I hope you get some good answers that help clarify things for you. Please report back on what they say, as I think many of us are curious!

~*~ Find me on YouTube: Trisha's Sleeve Story ~*~

For my program, dairy products play an important role. My go to substitute "ice cream" is 2 carbmaster yougurts (60 cal each with 8 g Protein each) and then mix in an powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chocolate splendor single serving (100 cal with 21 g protein)

This little gem gives me 37 grams of Protein for 220 calories. I really like the bananas flavor as mixed with the Unjury it tastes like boston cream pie.

I also enjoy milk and cheese as part of my diet.

For my program, dairy products play an important role. My go to substitute "ice cream" is 2 carbmaster yougurts (60 cal each with 8 g Protein each) and then mix in an unjury chocolate splendor single serving (100 cal with 21 g protein)

This little gem gives me 37 grams of Protein for 220 calories. I really like the bananas flavor as mixed with the Unjury it tastes like boston cream pie.

I also enjoy milk and cheese as part of my diet.

They said cheese is OK too!!! The plot thickens! Lol