Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much weight lost in the first month After surgery?

There's no good answer here. Some people even show a weight gain.

Hoping to "lose a couple of pounds" in the first month is a great way to look at it (in my opinion)...

As @@BLERDgirl stated, some people find that they lose very little for whatever reason.

It's also a baaaaad idea to compare yourself to anyone else.

Each one of us can lose at completely different rates.

But as I said, if you're being realistic enough to be happy with any loss in the first month then (I believe) you're setting yourself up quite well...

I know there is a feeling of "I can't wait until surgery and I start losing weight". However, I agree with the previous posts on being cautious about how much you compare yourself to others. You never know how it's going to go. Some people lose very little, others lose faster at first. Just remember this is a life change and in the big scheme of years, one month is a very small timeframe. Personally, I only lost 5 pounds in the first 3 weeks. However, at 5 months out I am down 75 or so. Everybody is different. ????

I know a lot of people write down how many pounds each week or month but I have never done that. I can't even remember what I lost in the first month as it didn't matter as long as I was losing, either lbs or inches. I used to weigh every day but don't do that now. I think I will go back to that once maintaining so I can keep an eye on it and nip it in the bud if I need to.

Everyone loses at a different rate so as others have said don't pin your hopes on what others have achieved. As for 2lbs, I am sure you will do that! Good luck for the surgery and a speedy recovery :)

I lost 41...but everyone is truly different.

This is a weight loss journey not a weight loss race.

Don't compare other people's losses to your own, everyone is different. People with more excess body weight can lose more, men typically lose faster than women, some people may be on certain meds that can affect weight loss, some people are exercise enthusiasts and eat less than they are supposed to, etc.

Someone can develop "pound-is" envy over the numbers. :)

Note: Your mileage may vary.

Edited by 4MRB4PHOTO

I remember my weight loss at my 2wk follow up & and my 6 week f/u. After that it gets fuzzy. I only really keep track of my current weight.

I know as a newbie it's exciting to step on the scale post op. You've been looking forward to this for a long time. Finally you'll get rid of this weight. Many have in their minds this big number . Truth is some do get that big number, but others get a small number or no loss at all. Still some even show a weight gain from being swollen, IV fluids and the like. In the end it doesn't matter. What matters is you relearn how to eat and live a healthier lifestyle.

Oh dear, don't do that to yourself. You're only setting yourself up for possible disappointment.

I remember sitting in my surgeons office a week after surgery, waiting for my first follow up. I was SO PROUD of myself because I had lost 8 pound that week. There was another gal there who had surgery the exact same day as me (we even walked the halls together). She'd asked how much I'd lost, I told her, and she said "Impossible. I've lost 17. How could you have only lost 8?" I wanted to cry.

When I mentioned this to my surgeons PA, (feeling like a failure) he said "Well, she weighs 100 pounds more than you do and is also 15 years younger than you are, so that would make sense".

Like everyone said, we are all different, and lose weight at different rates for those and many other reasons. You do you, and don't worry about what everyone else is doing.

This was a good thread. I'm only 12 days out and I haven't lost much. Maybe 15 lbs

My first month post-op I lost 10.4 pounds.

And I was thrilled! I hadn't lost that much weight in a month in decades!

By 8.5 months post-op, I had lost all my excess weight. I've since slowly lost another 10 pounds for a total of 95 pounds lost. :) I'm maintaining stably now at 140 pounds. :)

(Can you tell from all the smiley-faces how happy I am with my WLS experience?)

You'll be fine -- no matter how fast or slowly you lose. The point is that you will lose. And if you do what you're supposed to do you will lose all your excess weight. And then you will keep it off.

:)