Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ideas for ready made stuff I can buy to eat?

Hi All, I don't have much time to cook for myself and in all honesty i don't know how to cook well at all. I tried and they call tasted baddddd.

Any ideas of what I can buy in the supermarket that I can just grab and buy and eat (pop into the microwave and it's a done deal) that is healthy and that you guys post op have approved and worked for you?

I mean deli hams work but eating them everyday has been boring. Maybe Soups? What kinds do you buy that doesn't hinder your weight loss?

I have low fat cheeses etc. But I feel like there is more out there I just don't have ideas of what.

Hi @wagyu. Just wanted to let you know that I lost 150 lbs. without cooking my own meals. I live in NYC and have a very small kitchen. I live alone and cooking just seemed like a big old pain in the neck. I shopped at upscale markets for prepared meals and that's what I ate. Mostly fish and chicken along with veggies and even a bit of carbs such as a very small potato, or 1/4 cup pasta/rice. Stay away from fried foods, things you know will have alot of calories and sodium/fat. Other than that, you should be OK.

Again...I get that cooking yourself gives you more control but I'm proof that you can do it without cooking your own food.

Good luck!

Gosh thank you so much for this. I too am in the Nyc area so the struggle is real with the kitchen issue. I can't believe you lost 150!! Congratulations. I messaged you for the actual places you go to get your ready made food because it would be great to know where in nyc helped you lose weight :P

This is something you can keep in the fridge at work or at home. High Protein, cheap and quick.

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-oscar-mayer-lunchables-for-adults-p3-20140305-story.html

I haven't seen this in my area going to be a mission to find this. Looks so convenient. Have all of you tried the P3 packs?

@@wagyu -- You did ask for recommendations on ready-to-eat items, but I'd like to suggest cooking classes whenever your schedule allows.

a) You'll have control over calories, nutrients, fat content, sodium content and all the rest.

B) Not that I've taken a cooking class, but reliable sources tell me they are fun for the camaraderie.

c) Once you learn some basic principles, cooking is relaxing and a creative outlet.

d) You don't have to cook every day. There are so many dishes begging to be made in batches. Freeze some for later and have a couple three meals now.

e) There are just as many simple things to cook that take little time on a daily basis.

If you are so far gone that you don't know which end of a pot is the handle, there are classes with titles like "How to Boil Water." Above all, don't freeze carrots either cooked or raw. They lose all integrity.

I like Morningstar Farms products. I'm still early out (six weeks) and I find they are low enough in fat and sugar to meet my nut's requirements of less than 5g fat and 10g sugar per serving.

I've been buying from the salad and hot bars at Whole Foods too. They're just generally going to be healthier than say Kroger. While they don't offer nutritional information, each food is labeled and they list the ingredients. I scan the ingredients for sugar and fat. I've gotten some very good chicken, fish, chickpea salad and veggies. They also have prepared zucchini noodles that I've been eyeing. I like to make my own sauce with meat and veggies and that would be a perfect Pasta substitute. The bar is perfect because you can buy just enough, which I've found is a struggle as I eat so much less and I live alone.

personally i love the johnsonville heat and serve turkey sausages, easy peasy and good too. also lets face it i pretty much live off of Protein powder and ground turkey turkey burger and fish. r chicken in any and all forms. Even the lightly breded purdue sensation strips are not bad for you, although id wait until your further along in your weight loss journey.

This is something you can keep in the fridge at work or at home. High Protein, cheap and quick.

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-oscar-mayer-lunchables-for-adults-p3-20140305-story.html

I haven't seen this in my area going to be a mission to find this. Looks so convenient. Have all of you tried the P3 packs?

I have tried the ones with turkey and peanuts. They are $1.99 at my local Von's/Albertsons. They are in the deli meats/cheese/hot dog aisle. They are very convenient, quick and filling. Just the right amounts to keep in the fridge at work and home.

LOVE P3's. they are portioned perfectly!! My favorites are the rotisserie chicken. Sometimes the ham is fatty. Grosses me out to chew ham fat or grissel,

I do half plain greek yogurt, half mayo. Same taste, half the calories with a tiny Protein boost.

Oh wait. There's such a thing as a single serving crock pot. You can bring your own food without having to heat up in the communal area. I'm deathly allergic to seafood and never ate in the office lunch area because if someone heated up seafood I could have a anaphylactic episode. I became a master at bringing self contained lunches.

I have one of the single serving crock pots. It doesn't cook food. Only warms it.

@wagyu

Click this link to get $10 off your first $75 order.

https://www.bariatricchoice.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/180562/

Tons of pre-made Protein enriched foods for bariatric patients!

When you get to the page, Highlight over Bariatric Foods, then click on Meals and Entrees

Edited by less_of_me2see

You have to be careful with Lean Cuisine and other prepared food. The sodium content is extremely high and it is not healthy. Eating it once a week is fine, but no more.

Peanut Butter on soda crackers, grape/crackers/cheese for lunch

greek yogurt definitely, get the low carb one.

small amount of Dreamfield Pasta with Tomato sauce or alfredo sauce, add some cheese to it

small beef patty with frozen veggies cooked in the microwave (surely you can cook a hamburger patty)

any meat with vegetables is perfect.

Good luck. How about consulting a nutritionist, they have tons of ideas and could help you. But try to stay away from frozen prepared food other than vegetables. It is full of sodium and additives.

I don't know if you are a costco member or have a trader joes nearby.... but if you search for either of those you will find threads started by me where people put in "favorite finds" from those places.

I like to cook but am often time challenged, so I love healthy - nearly ready to eat food.

There are some who eat lean cuisine type dinners but I can't bring myself to do it.

I feel like I eat so little - I want it to be stuff I love or at least like!

I bet others will post some easy peasy stuff but here are just a few things:

-greek yogurt

-all natural sandwich meat with cheese, ideally wrapped around a dill pickle :)

-low carb/low calorie/healthy sausages - there are several varieties I really like and can just heat and eat

-I buy salmon patties (from costco, but you can get them elsewhere) I grill em and put them on top of a yummy bed of salad greens. I use olive oil and white balsamic vinegar for dressing and it is really really good!

-Do you like seafood - lots of places have ready to eat shrimp... yum

-egg beaters and baby turkey sausages are a regular Breakfast for me - lots of Protein and very low cal/low carb

-any kind of sandwich, but instead of bread, use a lettuce and make a wrap!

-grocery stores often have premade things that are quite nice. It is expensive, but since 1 serving is probably 3 meals, it suddenly becomes more economical!

-tuna in a pouch can be good over salad or as a main ingredient in one of those lettuce wraps

Come on people - I know there are lots of other amazing ideas out there!

THIS IS FAB! what kind of low carb low calorie sausages do you buy? I hesitate to buy those because they are so high in calories and stuff, any particular ones you bought? Also the baby turkey sausages what brands/types.

Costco carries Amylu brand chicken sausage and chicken burger patties (I am in Palm Springs, CA) that are really good - I do not like the amount of sodium in them but they have lots of Protein and when I am really pressed for time, I will cook these, they easily heat up in pan or in microwave.

Another great item from Costco are the Kirkland brand Turkey burger patties. I usually will make mine but there are those days where I get home late so it is nice to have these on hand because there are natural ingredients in them - Turkey, Rosemary Extract and Salt...that is it and they are delicious.

Costco also has individual sized packets of hummus, they are perfectly portioned for us and go great with fresh cut veggies.