Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not tolerating whey protein...

I'm six days post-op, supposed to be transitioned to full liquids and use Protein Shakes to get at -least- 40g of Protein in.

Right out the gate I took three sips of a Premier Protein shake and five minutes later felt like I was gonna die. Flushed in the face, shaking, salivating, nauseous, rapid heart beat...oh joy. It only lasted about half an hour, but it wasn't good for my confidence. There's only 5g sugar in the whole 11oz shake, so I thought maybe it was just that shake.

I can tolerate sugar free pudding ok now, so I tried mixing unflavored Protein powder into it. A few bites in and I felt bloated and nauseous. UGH! Such a gross feeling.

Finally I've tried the whey protein in Water. Aaaannndd...still felt sick from it. I'm going to call my doc's office tomorrow for their thoughts and ideas on it, but has anyone else run into this?

After surgery I became lactose intolerant. I couldn't drink milk. This condition lasted for about 2 months and then went away. Some Protein shakes contain lactose. So you may want to see if yours does and if so switch to a brand that is lactose free.

On the other hand, if you are drinking milk without any difficulty, then your problem may lie elsewhere.

Well...it's weird. I can drink milk fine, can tolerate small amounts of low sugar/low fat greek yogurt, but even the unflavored powder which only lists whey Protein isolate as an ingredient makes me ill. I was fine with it before surgery.

I think you answered your own question.

Switch to a pea Protein like Spirutein. Lots of places sell single serve packages so you can try it before buying a whole can. It's not at GNC but it is at Vitamin Shoppe.

Whey Protein is disgusting. My fave is Atkins. Small carton like bottle has 15 g of protein and the taste is bearable. I like it cause I can actually finish it cause it's smaller. Muscle milk is not bad either just like Atkins carton.

Edited by bellabill

Hi! I'm new here and had the same problem happen to me. I went the vegan route for Protein powder and mix SunWarrior with juice Plus with almond milk (fruit and PB2 too) and feel so much better. I can tolerate greek yogurt, cottage cheese and regular cheese, but Premier drinks and whey powder just make me feel horrible.

There are several vegan options such as soy isolates, hemp or pea Proteins. It's still going to be trial and error as to which ones you like, but there are plenty of alternative out there.

dup

I've tried every vegan Protein mix I can get a sample pack of and they e all been unbearably chemical-sweet with a horrible aftertaste (all from stevia) and extremely gritty.

I'd really like a vegan Protein because milk Proteins make my arthritis flare up. but are there any that don't use stevia and aren't horribly gritty? I can stand a little chalkiness but when it feels like you are trying to swallow finely shredded bark it is too much for me.

I have not tried sun warrior or mamalicious as they don't have samples so would love to know what u think of those.

Edited by talking mountain

I feel like Sun Warrior is pretty chalky but mixed with other stuff I don't notice as much.

juice Plus has 2 products. Capsules which contain all your vegetable and fruit servings in them and Protein powder. I use both. My kids now do 5 mornings a week of smoothies with the JP Protein Powder. I've seen a huge difference in their health with this minor change. I mix Sunwarrior vanilla and JP chocolate plus PB2 powder and is actually tolerable to drink.

I have a JP rep if you would like to know more.

I am 3wks post op and I've been lactose intolerant since surgery day. The episodes can be really bad if I drink a Protein Shake that has lactose in it. Even yogurt which usually doesn't have much lactose can set me off. I did find a Protein Powder that worked for me. It's Syntrax. It's both lactose free and gluten free and it sits really well after surgery for me. The Twisted cherry flavor has been my lifesaver. I can't say enough good things about it.