Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am on my second day of the pre-op diet. From the "doctors orders" I did consume 63 grams of Protein yesterday but it only came up to 566 calories. Does that seem right? Of course, it seems low to me. I woke up today feeling weak and with a headache. Is this how you feel for the whole two weeks before surgery? Does your body get used to the few amount of calories? Just curious what I am looking at for the next two weeks. Any thoughts?

I'm on day 3....I've been logging about 850 calories with 110-130 grams of Protein.

I'm beyond exhausted. Good luck!!!!!

@treblecutie....I'm hoping that our bodies will get used to the small amount of calories within the next couple of days.

When is your surgery date? Mine is the 9th.

Mines the 10th. :) just mixed Protein shake number 2.....the smell is nauseating....I feel like I'm pregnant again! lol

Unflavored mixed w crystal light. It tastes okay. Thankfully. :)

I got my Protein mix from the doctors office. Cookies and cream. Surprisingly, not too bad. I'm supposed to have two of those to replace two meals and then 4 oz of Protein and a 1/2 cup of non starchy veggies. Plus I can have two sugar free jellos, two sugar free popsicles and two servings of chicken of beef broth per day. What is your pre-op diet like? I'm just curious if they are all basically the same.

Doctor requires Unjury Protein mix. So I have chocolate and unflavored. Not horrible. I have to have 4 shakes a day, 2 with fat free milk 2 with non dairy/sugar free crystal light or broth. Then 6 servings of either sugar free Jello or pudding cups and or light and fit yogurt.

I start mine on Tuesday. Ugh...I dread it.

I can have 4-5 Protein shakes a day,at least 100 g Protein, no more than 50 g carbs, 800-1000 cal a day. I can have clear broth and sugar free popsicles. I can also have a little unsweetened coffee/tea. I have to have 64-96 oz Water a day. I am told that the first 48 hours are the toughest, then your body goes into ketosis, where you body first turns to protein and then to fat reserves. My doctor says I will experience a sensation of improved well-being and absence of bothersome hunger in the second or third day. He also says side effects are dizziness, headache, fatigue. Boy, I can hardly wait.

I am on my second day of the pre-op diet. From the "doctors orders" I did consume 63 grams of Protein yesterday but it only came up to 566 calories. Does that seem right? Of course, it seems low to me. I woke up today feeling weak and with a headache. Is this how you feel for the whole two weeks before surgery? Does your body get used to the few amount of calories? Just curious what I am looking at for the next two weeks. Any thoughts?

I was told to focus on grams of Protein, and not count calories. I am getting 85-92 grams of protein daily.

Prior to the pre op diet, did you use caffeine? If so, this could be a withdrawal headache. For me, a headache can mean I am dehydrated also.

Stay hydrated. If you used to use caffeine, gradually lower your dose to avoid the headache.

Haha. Don't you love when they sell it so well with the side effects? It'll be worth it!

I'm scheduled for surgery 2 weeks from tomorrow and my doctor is not requiring me to do a pre-op diet. Part of me is relieved but another part of me is scared since it seems like everyone else does the pre-op diet. Anyone else not have to do the pre-op diet?

@@eccentricprof, WOW. I haven't heard of anyone else not having to do the pre-op diet but then again, I haven't asked anyone either. It is so interesting to me how different each doctor's "rules" are. I see that treblecutie can have some of her shakes with fat free milk where we (I was in a "class" with 27 other people) were told absolutely no milk products. It makes you wonder why there are so many different approaches to the same surgery.

Great points buzzly36! Really makes me question and wonder what is the right answer? Am I endangering my success rate by not doing the pre-op diet that MY doctor says I don't need to do??? Help??

I was told just to follow a low fat diet week before surgery. Have been doing two slimfast per day and then subway for two weeks and start Protein Shakes and other suggestions tomorrow. This is my choice not a requirement from doc. Figure the less fat around the liver the better.