Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Judged at the hospital

Hi all. Had surgery this past monday 10/19. A couple of things I wasnt expecting. the girl checking me in for surgery said to me oh I had this surgery (gastric sleeve) two years ago. I looked at her and she was a pretty big girl but I mean for all I know she had a lot to lose and taking if off slowly. I just nodded. She then told me she had it with the same surgeon I was having today I said oh yes I really like him. She then tells me. she lost 85 lbs and then started eating bad and regained it all and then some. She took my copayment and said just dont be tempted or you will end up like me. wow didnt know what to say to that.Then one of my night nurses after my surgery said to me so you couldnt try anything else?? you just had to do this? (now this was after the surgery and I was in a room) I was like what?? I couldn't focus I was High on dalaudin. she said I just like to ask patients who do this why they didnt try other ways. I said you know this is what I wanted to do so that is why I did this.I also had a couple of nurses either putting on my compression stockings or helping get my gown off say wow you are not big at all.. what?? anyone else have weirdness from staff at the hospital?

Wow. I am so sorry you experienced such unprofessionalism. They must not have many bariatric patients.

One of the reason's I chose my hospital/program was because they had a very well-regarded bariatric program. Everyone I encountered was kind, encouraging, helpful, and very professional.

I would definitely make your surgeon's office aware of how you were treated.

Yeah, that's pretty weird. My nurse's were nothing but kind and supportive. How rude and unprofessional of those nurses! I feel bad for you!

On the other hand, use the story about the gal that checked you in as motivation! It's true, if someone was not ready for the surgery, it absolutely is possible to gain all the weight back. I know a gal that has, also.

Good luck to you and heal well!

Those nurses should keep their comments to themselves. Glad you rose above that negativity. I am only 15 days post-op, but I can see that you have to be dedicated and motivated to follow directions and not revert back to old ways.

I'm flabbergasted at this treatment! I would be tempted to file a former complaint with the hospital regarding all comments made. Thanks to technology, it wouldn't be difficult to find the names of those involved in your care as long as the facility used an EMR.

Luckily, the surgeon I am using and the hospital he performs all procedures at have a bariatric floor. He's personally trained ALL staff on how to take care of patients like us. I certainly hope I don't receive any comments such as these. My mom will be with me as my husband just began a new job and I don't want him to ask off. So if they cross the line, Mama Bear will be quick to my rescue and they will certainly see her wrath.

Edited by sassyfrass23

I'm flabbergasted at this treatment! I would be tempted to file a former complaint with the hospital regarding all comments made. Thanks to technology, it wouldn't be difficult to find the names of those involved in your care as long as the facility used an EMR.

Luckily, the surgeon I am using and the hospital he performs all procedures at have a bariatric floor. He's personally trained ALL staff on how to take care of patients like us. I certainly hope I don't receive any comments such as these. My mom will be with me as my husband just began a new job and I don't want him to ask off. So if they cross the line, Mama Bear will be quick to my rescue and they will certainly see her wrath.

Totally agree

And also laughed at Mama Bear comment

Totally agree

And also laughed at Mama Bear comment

Haha! She looks so stinkin cute and innocent, but if you mess with her babies, there will be hell to pay.

Making comments like that when someone is going IN to surgery and just coming out are so inappropriate. Emotions are all over the place and the last thing you need is your caretakers making you feel uncomfortable or causing you to doubt your decision.

Wow, sometimes it I can believe how I'm still surprised how professionals allow their personal opinions to cloud their professionalism.

Oh Hell no! Make sure you report this. Most hospitals's ask for a patient review. They were both beyond unprofessional.

Huge breech of etiquette and professionalism there.

Sorry you ran into this.

I was very fortunate. All the staff I encountered were top notch. Most of the patients in my wing were bariatric patients, too. We'd shuffle around together in the hallways.

I would report the behavior to the hospital administration. If they don't know there is a problem, then they can't fix it.

There is no reason for a medical professional to question a patients personal health decisions.

The hospital I had mine done at has bariatric training for the staff working with the bariatric patients. There is even sensitivity training.

I got very lucky when I had my surgery done- no nasty comments or bad care.... But then again I am one of the hospital administrators so they better not have!!

Sorry this happened to you!

By the way, congratulations on your surgery. Welcome to the losers bench .

I'm sorry you had a bad experience! I haven't had my surgery yet, but I had to deal with that from the psychologist who was evaluating me. I sat down and she looked at me and said "Well you don't even look that bad!", uh thanks but I feel like total crap.

The only thing I had happen was every shift change the nurse would be going over my chart with the next one and invariably the new one would say "Wait! She's a bariatric patient?" And I had three out of five tell me they had never had a bariatric patient my size. I was like seriously? I was at the 100 lb overweight mark.

I'm with the others - complain. That isn't ok.

Report every single last one of them. I hope you kept their names. Speak to the director of nursing. Make sure you tell you doctor, and fill out that survey card.

My feedback form would be so hot they couldn't touch it! No way would I let this go. My surgery s coming up Nov 11. I will use your story to help me be strong.