Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So my nurse stated she wanted to make sure I have support after surgery. So I know I will need someone to drive me to and from follow up appt. What other kind of support do I need? I an a big loner and have a few close friends. I am a single Mother so it is just me and my kids.

I made sure my house was clean and all the yardwork was done prior to surgery. I had my housekeeper come for an extra visit in the first two weeks because I knew I wouldn't want to be doing heavy housekeeping like vacuuming or mopping. I also had her change the kitty litter because of the lifting restriction (for me it was nothing over 10 lbs for four weeks, if I remember right). Consider what you do on a regular basis and if it involves a lot of serious pushing, pulling, or lifting more than 10 lbs, you might need someone to help you with that -- or figure out an alternate way to do it that reduces the stress on your body.

Other than that, I did not have any extra help and did not need any. I was fine to drive as soon as I was off narcotic pain meds, which was pretty quickly for me.

Yes you may need some help with some things around the house for a little while. Hopefully you don't have a a child small enough they need lifting. Stock up on anything heavy you might need to buy eg cat litter , dog food and have them on hand. My husband vacuumed for me other than that I just avoided doing things I did not feel would be wise right after surgery. You will have all of here for moral support. When is your surgery scheduled for?

You might also need some emotional support, because things will be very different for you once you get home and reality sets in. It's been a dream thus far, but once the surgery is done, and you are home.....that's when regret can set in, because you can get bored, and (a little) angry that you can't self medicate or _celebrate, or emotionally eat anymore. These forums provide tons and tons of support. I couldn't have gone through this alone, and my husband didn't understand what I was going through. But these fine folks did. All the best to you, and if you need anything....give a shout out!

I live alone and asked my surgeon if I would be able to care for myself after surgery. He said it would be better to have someone there but if you can't, you can't. I will try and prepare as much as I can beforehand and hope for the best!

@@animallover1247 You totally can. My hubs was here, of course (he's retired), but I didn't need his help for anything. Except for a walking buddy. He walked with me in the park every day. But I didn't need any help to "care" for myself. I made sure to have broths, Soups, (approved Protein sources) plus sugar free popsicles, Jello, and Water available once I got home. I was able to drive and go shopping after the 3rd day. You'll be ok.

How old are your children @@bbrookmedic ? Can they help at all?

Prepare meals beforehand and freeze them.

Share taking the kids to/from school with another Mum.

Clean the house from top to bottom/change all the beds, get the laundry sorted.

Rest as much as you can after the surgery, ask the older kids to watch the younger ones.

Arrange after school clubs or play dates at friends houses.

Get in as much food as you can so you don't need to shop for a while.

How about asking a local teenager in to help.

Hope it all goes well for you!!

Added: Please check with insurance if you are fit to drive straight after the op. I am in England so it's probably different but I wouldn't have been covered by insurance for 2 weeks. In the end I didn't drive for 5 weeks.

How old are your children? Are they capable of maintaining light chores until you are back on your feet?

Some of us didn't require much more than to have someone drive us home. I was doing laundry the second day out of the hospital and by the third night I was able to make easy meals for my family. By day five I was doing all the light chores (out of choice as I could not sit around the house, it drove me nuts), preparing the meals (the kids and hubby cleaned up) and was walking a mile everyday.

It is all about personal tolerance no two people are alike. And most of the complaints are not so much pain related but having no energy.

I made sure I had enough Protein shakes on hand for the first 2 weeks out from surgery. I did housecleaning and a few extra loads of laundry. I changed the linens on all the beds and I even bought a blanket to sit on the sofa and watch tv. I moved the cat's things so I was able to clean her litter and feed her without bending or lifting.

Check your insurance plan. Once the discharge nurse found out that I lived alone she requested a visiting nurse for me. I went home on Saturday, She came to see me on Monday. I was approved for up to 10 visits but ended up not using them all because I was doing so well. Still it was nice to have her come out. She checked my temp, looked at my incisions and made sure everything was going well. It didn't cost me one cent extra.

Thanks everyone. My Children are 8 and 7 yrs old. I do not have a date yet I am in month 3 of 6 month. I am thinking surgery will be March.

You'll need someone to pick you up from the hospital afterwards. It's a good idea to have someone around for the first few days post-op just to be safe incase something goes wrong. This is major surgery after all and complications happen. You at least be checked in on regularly. Now that said, I didn't "need" a thing during my recovery. My mom came to stay because that's what mom's do, but she was bored out of her mind since she couldn't feed me! I booted he back home after a few days and was fine. Back at work the next week. You won't be able to lift anything heavier than 10 pounds for several weeks, so plan for that. If your kids are old enough to help carry a laundry basket and change sheets on a bed, you're probably fine. If they're "car-seat age", you may need some help!