Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just got sleeved on October 13th...

It hurts so much to even swallow water!

Every morning when I drink a little Water I hiccup. Why is that?

Does anyone feel like a burning/dry sensation like coming up, intermittently? I don't know how to explain it.

Please help :(

I know what you mean, I was sleeved on the 14th. I have had the hiccups every time I drink anything...and it does have an odd sensation going down. I think warm does better tho.

Are you taking a prescribed anti-acid? It sounds like it might be acid reflux?

I had issues swallowing even the tiniest sip of Water for the first few weeks post-op. I would go through this whole process where first I felt constriction in my esophagus, then there would be this gurgling coming all the way up into the back of my throat, and then I'd have to burp. The good news is, it seemed to just be a product of the swelling, so once that went down after a couple of weeks, it became much easier. The key is you still have to drink as much as you possibly can, no matter how unpleasant it is. You need to be sip, sip, sipping. Aim for an ounce of Water every 15 minutes, so that's 1/2 cup per hour. I know how tough it is. I remember how miserable it was. But, it is SO IMPORTANT to stay hydrated so you don't end up back in the hospital.

As for that dryness and burning in your throat, my guess is acid reflux. Did your surgeon prescribe a PPI?

I had issue like that too early post op. What worked for me was adding a PPI like Priolsec and I soon realized I was unable to drink plain water- it hurt so bad. With lots of trial and error I was finally able to drink very cold propel Water.< /p>

Also, in the beginning I thought I was taking tiny sips, but it still hurt. So I poured my fluids in a medicine cup and made each one last for three sips- now those were some tiny sips and that helped a lot!!

Hang in there it gets easier with each passing day and week!!

Thank y'all so much for replying! I am going to ask my doctor if he can prescribe me something for this gastric reflux..and the thing is I never had It! I'm trying to take sips every 15 mins to keep myself hydrated!

Thank y'all for the help!! :)

@@klove89

I never had it either, but my surgeon prescribes it to all sleevers for the first 6 months. So far so good since I was sleeved last Weds.

@@klove89

I never had it either, but my surgeon prescribes it to all sleevers for the first 6 months. So far so good since I was sleeved last Weds.

Same with my surgeon. Excess acid is VERY VERY common in gastric sleeve patients because your stomach is still producing the same amount of acid as it always did, but now you are giving it way less food to break down. I'm 14 months out and still on a PPI, it is one of the risks associated with sleeve, but a small price to pay considering where I am now, at goal and maintaining!

@@thisfathasgot2goHe never gave me a prescription for it. Odd.

I find that odd also. Usually it's perscribed automatically after surgery.....

My doctor does the same thing. He starts all his pts on colace for 30 days and omeprazole for 90 days in the hospital. He prefers to prevent any discomfort. As a result I never had any real issues with Constipation or acid. Around month 3 I did have to increase my omeprazole to 40 mgs but by month 6 I no longer needed it at all. I also was using medcine cups to sip when I was in the hospital and used them for the first week post op. It helped me remember to take teeny sips.

It is very normal to need a PPI for the first few months post op.

I found that I could not drink plain Water for quite awhile post op. Warm herbal tea was a lifesaver. Herbal tea isn't really tea so there is no caffeine and it is gentle on the tummy.