Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New body, new set of problems

I have reached my goal, going into this I didnt know I would have so many problems along the way, I wanted to share my own side effects of weight loss surgery, in hopes that those thinking about surgery- will go into this realistically (I did not). This is my own set of symptoms, I cannot speak for anyone else.I am interested if anyone has also had second thoughts/regret or a bad outcome.

1. Chronic pain. Before surgery this was not a significant problem. Now my back and joints hurt all the time. I can barely carry the weight of my own bag around on my shoulder

2. Old. I aged 20 years, easily. Fair white skin and wrinkles mixed with a skelator appearance. I look rather sickly

3. Depression. Breaking my love affair with food, has depressed the hell out of me some days

4 void filling. I have a void that food left, I have replaced that with other self destructive tendencies

5. Chronic, unrelenting heartburn..this one sucks, even with the massive daily doses of antacids

6. Anorexia. I am pushing that boundary, food is not as much fun. I can feel all my bones.

7. Butt-gone. I kind of miss that sweet squishy cushion.

I am on the fence on whether I would do it again, I was obese- but nowadays- who isn't?! It's became way more socially acceptable in the last 10 years to be fat, maybe WLS is not for everyone.

I am so sorry to hear that you have experienced difficulties.

Based on what you mention about feeling and looking older I have to ask:

Do you keep up with all of your Vitamins?

Do you have labs checked regularly?

Do you get enough Protein and fluids every day?

I am not an expert, but it sounds like you are malnourished. What does your NUT and surgeon advise?

@@Tootsietoes

This is from a place of caring and concern for you.

(1) Anorexia

(2) depression

(3) body image issues

(4) chronic pain

(5) self destructive tendency's

Is your Dr aware of your symptoms? Are you getting the medical care to address these issues?

@@Tootsietoes

@@jenn1 and I are from Boise, too!

Oh, and I agree with jenn. Some of those issues should be adressed by your doctor. I don't think the chronic pain is normal for WLS patients. At least not for me. And I'm kind of old. The other stuff seems to be pretty normal stuff from what I've seen. And I'd much rather look a little older than FEEL older by being obese and unhealthy! I'd be willing to bet you don't look as old as you think you do.

You mention antacids, are you on a PPI like omeprazole/Prilosec? That is a must for many of us. Might help that issue.

How quickly did you lose your weight? A couple of your issues were transitional issues for me...

I had horrible back pain while my body was adjusting to a different center of gravity. Did some chiropractic work (and I'm not a fan) and then some yoga to work on posture and balance. Pain is gone now.

The old/gaunt/skeleton look... Again could be transitional. Loose skin does come back some and the wrinkles decrease. Weight training will build up muscle underneath and help as well (again for me that was yoga).

The missing squishy butt.... Again when my posture improved I found I sat differently (kept the proper curve in my spine) and learned when I sat on the squishy part of my butt I was slouching, I sit on the back of my thigh bones now instead (sorry hope that makes sense). But again it's a posture thing--think shoulders back butt out arch in the small of your back.

The mental issues.... Please get some help. Find someone to talk to or a support group.

Thank you for the kind words, I am taking antacids, but I've also come to the understanding of just how lucky I am to have the surgery and lose these rolls, I need an attitude adjustment :)

This was very tough to read when my surgery is next week... Makes me start doubting my decision again.

This was very tough to read when my surgery is next week... Makes me start doubting my decision again.

It's not all kittens and rainbows after, take care of yourself and I know you will do good. Backstory- I am not taking Vitamins regularly, following Protein or Water guidelines... I am probably a good example on what can happen when you go in naive and not sticking to the program

It's definitely not an easy journey, but everyone's experience is different. If you feel that it is the right decision for you, stand by it! If you're prepared for the journey you'll be great!

I have reached my goal, going into this I didnt know I would have so many problems along the way, I wanted to share my own side effects of weight loss surgery, in hopes that those thinking about surgery- will go into this realistically (I did not). This is my own set of symptoms, I cannot speak for anyone else.I am interested if anyone has also had second thoughts/regret or a bad outcome.

1. Chronic pain. Before surgery this was not a significant problem. Now my back and joints hurt all the time. I can barely carry the weight of my own bag around on my shoulder

2. Old. I aged 20 years, easily. Fair white skin and wrinkles mixed with a skelator appearance. I look rather sickly

3. Depression. Breaking my love affair with food, has depressed the hell out of me some days

4 void filling. I have a void that food left, I have replaced that with other self destructive tendencies

5. Chronic, unrelenting heartburn..this one sucks, even with the massive daily doses of antacids

6. Anorexia. I am pushing that boundary, food is not as much fun. I can feel all my bones.

7. Butt-gone. I kind of miss that sweet squishy cushion.

I am on the fence on whether I would do it again, I was obese- but nowadays- who isn't?! It's became way more socially acceptable in the last 10 years to be fat, maybe WLS is not for everyone.

Not to just echo what others have said, but I would strongly encourage you to see a therapist that deals with eating disorders about the depression, anorexia & self-destruction.

I'm also surprised about the aging. I think I've aged in reverse through my weight loss. Are you getting enough Water?

Boy, sorry to hear this. I had a very different outcome from my WLS.

At nearly 70 years old, I look decades younger than I did before being sleeved.

My pain (from arthritis) is practically nil these days. I haven't had an Aleve or any other NSAID in 17 months. I walk for nearly 4 miles each day for exercise, plus the walking I do at home and at work. My physical rejuvenation and ability to move are some of my best WLS NSVs. :)

I lost 95 pounds, am maintaining at 140 pounds easily (am 5'5") and definitely do not look "skeletor." I am a standard size 8 (and vanity sizes 6 and even 4) and look hawt for my age.

My pre-WLS, agoraphobic self was definitely depressed. My 14-months post-op 140-pound cute self is definitely not depressed. :)

Obviously, everyone's mileage varies considerably.

I endorse others' advice that you seek some good counseling and medical care for the things that are plaguing you these days. You don't have to put up with these kinds of outcomes.

It's not all kittens and rainbows after, take care of yourself and I know you will do good. Backstory- I am not taking Vitamins regularly, following Protein or Water guidelines... I am probably a good example on what can happen when you go in naive and not sticking to the program

Thank you for being honest. Admitting you didn't/aren't following the plan, meeting your Protein & Water goals nor taking your Vitamins makes your original post less threatening to those of us who haven't had surgery yet.

Can I ask you why you aren't following the recommendations? Do you think it has a lot to do with your mental health? I ask because I know a little bit about mental health issues. The chronic pain you listed first is extremely common with depression. Please seek help. You could feel so much better and you deserve this. Don't forget why you started this in the first place. Go talk to someone. Please. Good luck and take care of you.

I have been told in our seminar classes by a couple former patients of the center (who are at goal and living there) that being malnourished in terms of proper Protein and Vitamins will have mental effects on top of the physical impact.

They said that getting back on track didn't take long and they felt better in mind, body and spirit.

I've heard enough from these veterans and those on this site to not dabble with this, but to simply follow the plan and reap the rewards.

It's so simple....at least from my perspective.

I had surgery 8/11/15 and I'm experiencing the back/joint pain. I'm doing great getting in my Vitamins, Protein and Water. I am also exercising. From other post-ops who have experienced the same thing, they said it will pass. I think it's just your body getting adjusted to the significant weight loss. It makes sense. For so long, your joints have been compressed by the additional weight and now it's gone.

Also, I would certainly work on getting back on track with your Vitamins, Protein and Water. Talk with your surgeon/dietician and press the reset button. I bet you will feel SO much better. Nutritional deficiencies can wreak havoc on us physically and mentally. As the others have said, try talking with someone about the depression.

Best wishes to you on your journey! You can do this. Remember, you deserve better for yourself! :o)