Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not tolerating protein shakes. Thrush. Nausea

Its been an eventful two days... kind of miserable. I've had nausea and dry mouth and i couldn't figure it out.... turns out I cant tolerate the shakes.. so my doctor recommended Proteinex ... 18gms of Protein in an ounce. No lactose. Apparently sometimes right after surgery patients cant handle milk... but that wears off for alot of people. So today I took it easy and grabbed the new protein supplement. Well the past few days I've also had extreme dry mouth... and my tongue looks a bit white... I'm going to have it checked out but according to the pictures online... I'm pretty sure thats what it is. I'm frustrated. I don't look forward to getting up because it means I have to start the whole liquids/pills/protein struggle all over again. I'm not giving up... but can I just say how bad this sucks right now. =/

@StephOnTheMove So sorry to hear this. The human body becomes dehydrated when it loses more fluids than it consumes. Nausea can be a symptom of dehydration, as well as a cause of the condition. Human bodies need Water in order to function properly, so dehydration can be a serious problem if it is not addressed quickly. Not sure if you're getting enough fluids, but what about trying Protein2o Water, (like H2o). You can go to their website drinkprotein2o and put in your zip code to find which stores carry it in your area. For 70 calories it packs 15g of Protein in just one 16 oz. bottle! Comes in 4 delicious flavors. I pray tomorrow will be a better day for you.

post-236324-0-00966100-1444882145_thumb.jpg

I was one of those people who could not tolerate milk right after surgery. My Protein shakes actually made me I'll.

My surgeons office recommended that I switch to Premier Protein ready made shakes instead, they have 30grams of Protein in 11 ounces. At first I would have to use have lactaid and half protein just because they were a little heavy for me. Within a couple of weeks I was able to drink them straight out of the container.

You can buy them at Sam's and costco, Walmart and some Walgreens have them too.

In terms of your mouth being dry and turning white, that really sounds like dehydration to me. How much liquid are you getting at this point?

about 32 ounces... its hard bc I feel like I'm nauseous because Im dehydrated and I'm dehydrated because I'm nauseous... also my antidepressants can cause dry mouth. Idk but... I'm uncomfortable. I'm going to try Isopure and this proteinX they suggested and try to increase my Water...

oh, no! ((((hugs)))) I've heard (especially on Youtube from I think it's Finding Elizabeth) that she got thrush right after surgery. Her doctor gave her some antibiotics for it.

I agree with the others I think the hydration is key in everything else working out.

I'm lactose intolerant now and only drink Lactaid milk so I'm hoping to be able to tolerate that afterwards.

I hope you get some relief soon.

I hear what your saying my doctor said focus on the Water first once I'm able to get the 64 ounces of water than I can move on to try a shake then maybe 2. But I am able to have eggs and cottage cheese so try that water and then the eggs and cottage cheese for some Protein. But there is one that I can probably manage one a day dark chocolate Atkins buy one see if it works. Kinda tastes like the end of chcocalte ice cream no protein taste at all. The reason I have issues with it three times a day is because I'm not even a big fan of ice cream even when I was able to what I want

Hey Steph,

I dilute most drinks with Water. I dilute Decaf with Water, Protein drinks with water and broth with water. I do not tolerate most Protein Drinks from Walmart and Walgreens, but order powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury online. Mainly because I do not like sweets. Since our digestible system has to relearn its job, its good to be cautious.

The doctors at the mayo clinic provided us with a sheet of recommended Protein Drinks and powders. There were about 30 different brands. Some of them are only available online, and I was a little nervous about that process, so I asked my son's girlfriend (a mad cyber-shopper) to order for me. She was happy to, and I paid her 10% for her trouble. Win-win. Unjury had a "starter pack" with all their flavors so it was easy to do testing before investing.

I am not as familiar with other companies, but I believe Isopure has great products.

My advice: increase your water by dilution, talk to your docs and go online. And, as they say, "sip, sip, sip." I still hurl when I eat too fast or too much. It is my body saying, "Slow down!"

Its been an eventful two days... kind of miserable. I've had nausea and dry mouth and i couldn't figure it out.... turns out I cant tolerate the shakes.. so my doctor recommended Proteinex ... 18gms of Protein in an ounce. No lactose. Apparently sometimes right after surgery patients cant handle milk... but that wears off for alot of people. So today I took it easy and grabbed the new Protein supplement. Well the past few days I've also had extreme dry mouth... and my tongue looks a bit white... I'm going to have it checked out but according to the pictures online... I'm pretty sure thats what it is. I'm frustrated. I don't look forward to getting up because it means I have to start the whole liquids/pills/protein struggle all over again. I'm not giving up... but can I just say how bad this sucks right now. =/

I couldn't tolerate lactose right out either but now I'm fine.

Google dehydration. That white coated tongue can also be a sign of that! Seek medical attention. I'm pretty sure you're dehydrated!

You can also use liquid egg whites to make a shake. I do mine with egg whites a little sugar and frozen fruits, much yummier then Protein shakes.

Thrust usually comes about if you are immunosuppressed or have been on an antibiotic recently, do either of those apply? If so you might want to ask your surgeons office about starting a liquid or chew able probiotic.

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble, Steph. You've gotten good advice here. I'll just add:

Has your doctor given you anything for nausea? If not, you may want to ask for it. I'm a little further out from you and it's a struggle to take in enough fluids and Protein without getting nauseated. My surgeon said its ok to do my best and take the nausea meds when I need them. I'm taking zofran, which works very well and doesn't make you loopy like other nausea meds. I agree with everyone else that getting more fluids is vital and this might help you.

I wonder whether taking some Probiotics might help too? Your gut flora was likely depleted by the antibiotics you received in the hospital. That can cause GI upset, among other things. I've been taking them just in case.

Good luck!

I've had thrush before and when I did my whole mouth was in severe pain...like think about if you put salt and vinegar in a paper cut but everywhere! It even hurt to swallow my own saliva. The white also wasn't just a coating on the tongue, but all over the mouth with areas with big raw circles. It was absolutely aweful! If you have that definitely tell your doctor now don't wait because it'll get worse. They have medicines that you can swish and also paint on like Venetian violet to cure the infection.

How are you doing, Steph? I hope you're feeling better!

I had the same things you did the first few weeks after surgery. I would wake up feeling like I sucked on a sponge all night. After I started getting more fluids in and drinking a g2 every day, things seemed to even themselves out.