Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Developed a replacement habit to food

Hi everyone. Damn I'm in tears writing this I'm only nearly 2 months out but I've already developed a bad new replacement habit and feeling really crappy about and at myself.

I've started over spending and shopping. Nothing crazy expensive but it's all been adding up to so much I'm not going to make a bunch of big bill payments. I know if I reign in now I can be caught up by Christmas but still I'm so mad at myself.

I wasn't like thus pre surgery. But I've been getting such a buzz and a major high from buying stuff. Things like stuff for our camp trip and Christmas gifts,a few new pants, a pair of curtains etc. Might not sound lavish but it's all added up to possiblly $1-2k in the last month over budget.

Ugh now bill time has come and I'm freaking out and will have to make some calls. I don't know why I've been doing it I knew it would lead to this. It's just like the food all over again :/

I don't have a therapist and I certainly couldn't afford one until I catch up with the bills. Please can anyone who's been through this and stopped give me any advise? Thank you in advance.... a guilt ridden sleever.

Edited by MsTwist

It's somewhat understandable

You're going to have to buy new clothes for your new body. I can she where folks can go overboard

I'm hoping the gym becomes my obsession

I don't have a solution. I have done the same. I think it gives us something to do other than eat - especially if you have a trip planned. The only suggestion I have as far as stopping is maybe what my therapist tells me about food - make a list of things now of all the other items you need to do to get ready for your trip or get your house ready or just random chores you have been meaning to do, then when you have the urge to eat when you are not hungry (or shop), get out that list and work on one of those items until you can cross it off the list. Once you have crossed it off, you will feel accomplished and hopefully the urges will have passed.

Hope that helps!

I picked up my old hobbies . Find something you enjoy using your hands and finishing your project. I seek many of my projects , which puts more money in my pocket. Don't be hard on yourself.... This is new to all of us and we will mess up from time to time. Good luck!!!!

I'm sorry. How frustrating. I don't have this issue. Maybe when this urge arises, tell yourself you can't buy clothes yet cause you're going to still get smaller and it's a waste of money at this point? What about exercising when these urges arise? No it's not going to be the same, but maybe doing something with your time that gets your mind off of it will help?

I think it's difficult for those of us who have addictive personalities. Now that being addicted to food is no longer a possibility, what do we do?

I try to keep myself busy - this forum, walking, meal planning, reading about gastric sleeves - I have quite possibly made my own health my newest obsession. I also started playing a geocaching game that is taking up some time that I'm having fun with.

A therapist is a great idea but I understand the monetary implications. Mine is working with me on the payment because I can't really afford it, and I'm only seeing her every two weeks. She is big on making lists as someone mentioned in a reply before this. I do find it helpful.

Keep us posted on how you're doing and don't be afraid to ask for support - it's why we're all here!

CJ

I took up sewing. I found I could make myself new clothes at a fraction of the cost and it keeps me busy. So far I've made three dresses, two skirts and an outfit for a little niece. It's been fun.

The one thing to be careful of is the costs involved here too. I shop for fabric at little discount stores, and have a budget for each project (I made two wraparound skirts for less than $5.00 each but invested more in some party dresses).

I picked up my old hobbies . Find something you enjoy using your hands and finishing your project. I seek many of my projects , which puts more money in my pocket. Don't be hard on yourself.... This is new to all of us and we will mess up from time to time. Good luck!!!!

Can you share any tips on projects that can be sold? Where do you sell them at? It would be great to find something to keep me busy that also earns a little extra money.

@@PayItForward Etsy is the most common place I've seen for selling crafted items. Also, I just heard that Amazon is staring a new "Handmade" store that will allow people to sell crafted items to compete with Etsy, though I don't know how you sign up to sell stuff on there yet.

@@CJ Porter unfortunately being addicted to food still is very much a possibility...you just can't feed the addiction the same way as before. My food addiction has gone NOWHERE with the surgery, but I have lost weight because of the built in limitations on consumption.

To answer the OP's concern...yes, people need to find replacement addictions to fulfill the one that won't be completely fulfilled...some people will choose consumption of some sort, I've chosen exercise. It's almost too good to be true, but it does work, and while it is easy to say that it was possible to make this replacement before surgery, the fact is that for the vast majority of us it really wasn't. That is the real gift of the surgery...freedom to rewire.

BTW, I have not had much success at all with actually coming to dislike any foods. I had a diet disaster long weekend, and I would be absolutely nowhere if I could eat anything close to what I could before. Eventually there will come a point at which I actually have to part with certain things or accept that weight loss has ended. I can tolerate red meat a lot more than I would like to be tolerate it, and on certain days it's my entire diet. So, the takeaway should be that new replacement addictions can also be other foods that you can still tolerate but didn't emphasize before instead of ones that are now virtually impossible to get former quantities of.

Hey, I hear ya. I've developed quite a shopping addiction for clothes. I mean, nothing fit and I NEEDED new clothes, but I've had problems putting on the brakes.

I did some of the suggestions above. Used the energy I put into shopping into more constructive things: meal planning and cooking (I love to cook) excersise, learning how to knit (although the yarn could get expensive!) and reading. It's all about guiding the negative toward something more positive and constructive. And if you need professional help to do that, so be it. Good luck, sister!

I make handmade jewelry and sell at craft fairs. I do at least one craft fair a month. I make about 800.00 a fair.. Not a bad habit to get into and earn money. Google craft fairs in your area and the cost to attend the fairs are really cheap. I normally only spend about 50.00 a fair. Good luck

I took up sewing. I found I could make myself new clothes at a fraction of the cost and it keeps me busy. So far I've made three dresses, two skirts and an outfit for a little niece. It's been fun.

The one thing to be careful of is the costs involved here too. I shop for fabric at little discount stores, and have a budget for each project (I made two wraparound skirts for less than $5.00 each but invested more in some party dresses).

I might do that too - actually... I think I am going to do that.

I can relate to that. In a small way I have been doing the same thing. I realized a few days ago that I was spending to much time on the computer looking for things to buy! I am putting the brakes on that....but I wish I could become addicted to housework! Unfortunately I like housework about as much as I crave water.....I DON"T

Edited by MIMISAN