Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was I just misinformed?

I was sleeved late last month by a doctor that has several bariatric clinics and makes his living solely on bariatric surgeries. I believe he is considered an expert in his field.

That said, the way he describes the surgery and experience just seems different than how I read it here. He basically told me that after six weeks, I could eat anything I wanted, I just wouldn't be able to eat very much of it. I visited a nutritionist who told me I'll need to eat my Protein off my plate first to make sure I have room for it.

Nowhere did I hear about needing to stay on the low carb diet for life. Also, he really didn't speak about gaining weight back. He said you do with it what you want---some are happy to just lose weight, some want to chase athletic endeavors, etc. I was told I need to exercise regularly.

I don't know. I'm not sorry I had the surgery but I just feel like the big picture is more than "you can eat whatever you want, you'll just eat less of it." Another thing he said was that after six weeks, he doesn't have to worry about sleeve patients. I guess there's no risk of complications after that?

I haven't received my surgery date yet. BUT, let me just say this to you. You were very misinformed. Technically, you could eat what you want. But, that's just a very DUMB way of looking at it. I hate to say this but this doctor should be FIRED. He appears to be one of those doctors who are just in it for the money. Please go around and read things on this board.

We all have a problem with food. That is the reason we are having this surgery done. The reason we became obese is because we all have problems with Portion Control and diet and nutrition as a whole. NO doctor in there right mind would tell a bariatric patient to eat whatever they want after the surgery. Read some of the blogs on here about how people get sick after eating too early or how eating certain things (mainly bad food) will have them feeling quite miserable.

The program I am in requires us to focus on diet and exercising. That should be your main focus. I started my change back on 7/28 and to date I've lost 30 pounds. I did this because I began learning how important eating the RIGHT foods will mean to my body pre and post op. If you're struggling with your food choices you should see a NUT ASAP so you can get on track. I wouldn't listen to another word this doctor is saying because he's TOTALLY in it for the money. I'm sorry you were sold cheap goods. This is a major surgery that will take a lot of work on your part. Remember the surgery is just a TOOL. In order to lose as much weight as possible and to keep it up you can't have the same mentality that got you here in the first place. Get your mental right and work a plan and stick to it. I know it's hard. But you can def do it!

Technically you CAN eat whatever you want. Don't be surprised if you gain the weight back. I've learned so much on this whole ride. I don't always follow my diet the way I should. I can't eat much and certainly if I eat too fast and too much of anything, I'm instantly sick so have learned to not do that. Poor nutrition choices will cause your hair to fall out. I'm 9.5 mo's out and my hair is still falling out. Why? Cause I'm poor at remembering my Vitamins, Biotin and don't get the Protein I should. It's all about healthy choices...whether food, diet or exercise.

Edited by Graciesmom04

Something you need to remember. At some point, the "honeymoon" period where hunger is less and restriction is great ends eventually. Yes, your hunger will return and restriction wanes over time. No, your stomach will never be the size it was pre surgery, but at some point you will be able to eat a normal, albeit smaller, portion.

That is why it is so important to cement healthy eating habits during the honeymoon period for when that time comes. Because believe me, the "little bit of this and little bit of that" eventually turns into weight gain.

The purpose of this surgery isn't to just lose weight. The purpose is to change your lifestyle enough to keep the weight off. Otherwise, what's the point?

I think your surgeon is technically "right" - you can eat pretty much anything after about 6 weeks. The thing is that you may not have maximum success without more specific guidance.

Not everyone committs to long term low carb. I certaintly did not at the beginning of this journey but found over time that is what I needed to do to get all the way to goal (I was very high BMI, so after losing about 120 I needed to really go low carb to make it all the way to a normal weight/size)

I was banded in 2001 by a very well known, respected, experienced European surgeon. He specialized in bariatric surgery and I think was a true expert - however his nutrition advice was just to "eat petite portions of any foods" did not give me the information, tactics and support I needed. The whole deal was an epic fail for me.

So, I think you are right in reaching to get educated. I think mayo clinic and some other well known bariatric programs publish their eating/behavior guidelines on their websites. Find support groups - in person if that appeals to you or come back here for ongoing support.

You can do this!

Technically your doctor wasn't wrong. You have about a year where you can maximize weight loss, so during that time it is best to eat a diet that is high in Protein and low in junk. I was self-pay, so I never had any nutritionist meetings or any real instruction on how to eat, so while I did reach and have maintained at goal, it took me longer because I ate mostly whatever I wanted to as long as it was healthy. After your stomach is healed, yes, you can eat anything you want to. Should you? No, probably not. At 2 years out, I still generally eat anything I feel like, but it's generally only a few bites and I don't really eat much in the way of junk. As an example, for Breakfast I had 1/3 cup dry granola, I had a Fiber One Bar for a snack, I will have a cup of chili from Panera for lunch, 1/4 of a wrap I got from Target for dinner, and probably another Fiber One bar and maybe some Smart Puffs or popcorn. You need to follow a diet that works for you and that you can do for the rest of your life. I was just not someone who was willing to give up bread for eternity.

I DO eat anything I want, but what I want has changed. I don't want to eat foods that make me sick to my stomach or in amounts that cause me pain. I can eat carbs, but starchy carbs slow my roll. The best advice I got from my nutritionist was to eat my Protein first and don't eat anything made in a factory. I know where my weaknesses are and I stay away from them.

I was sleeved late last month by a doctor that has several bariatric clinics and makes his living solely on bariatric surgeries. I believe he is considered an expert in his field.

That said, the way he describes the surgery and experience just seems different than how I read it here. He basically told me that after six weeks, I could eat anything I wanted, I just wouldn't be able to eat very much of it. I visited a nutritionist who told me I'll need to eat my Protein off my plate first to make sure I have room for it.

Nowhere did I hear about needing to stay on the low carb diet for life. Also, he really didn't speak about gaining weight back. He said you do with it what you want---some are happy to just lose weight, some want to chase athletic endeavors, etc. I was told I need to exercise regularly.

I don't know. I'm not sorry I had the surgery but I just feel like the big picture is more than "you can eat whatever you want, you'll just eat less of it." Another thing he said was that after six weeks, he doesn't have to worry about sleeve patients. I guess there's no risk of complications after that?

I'm curious how much research you did before surgery excluding the discussion you had with your surgeon.

Do you think it's possible that why "Eat Whatever You Want" he meant that you can eat solid foods such as meat, dairy, cheese, veggies, fruits, etc... Instead of fried foods and crap foods?

The reason that I ask this is because my surgeon said I can eat what ever I want but I know he meant I could go to a regular solid food diet but still a healthy diet. I have been seeing this surgeon for over a year and we know each other very well. He would not do the surgery without knowing I was going to be careful about what I eat when I was given the go ahead.

Use this tool to help you, don't use it as a get out of jail free card because, trust me, you will gain it back.

Agreed with @kranky813. I do not have any food restrictions and was told at 5 weeks to slowly introduce solid foods back into my diet. The caveat is that there are foods I should not ever eat. I must always eat Protein first and must only consume 3/4 to one cup of food.< /p>

Smart, healthy choices must be made or I will not lose. If in question do your research on published diets for WLS patients or see a nutritionist yourself. We only get a small opportunity to make the best of the surgery then it is up to us to maintain it. We can only do that with a proper eating plan.

Good luck!!

In response to a lot of the comments, I did very little research prior to my consultation. I wasn't really sure what the sleeve was and just thought I'd like some more information about it, so I made the consultation appointment.

I was sleeved about six weeks later. In the time between the consult and the surgery, I did research quite a bit. I knew most people at low carb, but I figured there were just different plans from different doctors.

I thought perhaps I had listened incorrectly (heard what I wanted to hear), but thinking back on it, on my pre-op visit, he said specifically, that in six weeks he wouldn't have to worry about us and we could eat what we wanted, in smaller sizes.

Now that said, I'd like to lose about 60 lbs. I didn't eat terribly before--just too much. I didn't follow a strict diet, but it wasn't junk food all the time. So, eating regular meals that I prepare for my family, but smaller portions was appealing to me.

So, explain to me this: If, say, I was eating 1900 calories a day presurgery and post surgery I eat 1000 calories a day, would I still lose (or maintain once at goal) even if the meals are not always strictly low carb, etc.? Say I eat half a burger for dinner, but don't go over the 1000 calories a day? I get that that shouldn't be a daily food choice, but I hear people saying they can't eat bread, etc.

I am upset about the people saying they can not tolerate rice, noodles, or tortillas. I am quite sure that wasn't in my materials.

Also, and off topic, but a woman in my group weighed in at 181 lbs before surgery. Is it responsible of a surgeon to perform WLS on a woman that weighs that? Surely that's not morbid obesity?

Most of us tolerate carb food just fine once the sleeve is mature....say several months post op. In fact they go down too easy!

We are all different but I think you will be fine. Get to goal and slowly reintroduce the carb type foods and see if you maintain well. Many do

That's pretty much what I was told. However the expectation was that "whatever I want" would be healthy nutritious food choices. My program has never emphasized low carb and I personally have never subscribed to low carb. However I do look at the source of the carbs and again, lean more towards, healthy carbs from plant based sources and not refined and overly processed carbs.

As for the 6 week period, I think that may be the expected healing time if there are no complications early on.

That's pretty much what I was told. However the expectation was that "whatever I want" would be healthy nutritious food choices. My program has never emphasized low carb and I personally have never subscribed to low carb. However I do look at the source of the carbs and again, lean more towards, healthy carbs from plant based sources and not refined and overly processed carbs.

As for the 6 week period, I think that may be the expected healing time if there are no complications early on.

The reality is that you will need to watch what you eat forever. This doesn't mean that once you reach your goal you need to ban certain foods but you will need to watch what you eat. Obesity is a lifelong disease and there is no cure. You can maintain a normal weight but will need to be vigilant and watch for gain and adjust your diet accordingly. I am only 3 1/2 months out but I have really enjoyed cooking healthy food for my family and I hope this will stick when I'm at goal b