Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many if you lost weight during preop?

I lost 19 lbs in two months before I started this diet from walking , having a shake for Breakfast, and watching what I ate. I almost lost too much. My pre op visit last week my Dr said he isn't going to report my weight the day of surgery because last week I was only 1 1/2 lbs from not qualifying anymore. I only have 65 lbs to get to my goal weight of 125 lbs now. I was never 100 lbs over but have 3 co morbities

Edited by perk4756

Hi, I have just started the beginning of my 6 months. I have lost 59 lbs. I was told the more you loose the better, this shows that you will be successful after surgery. My Dr. said people who have a hard time restricting their selves prior to surgery have a harder time post surgery and healing controlling their food intake as well. He say's the surgery is still important after loosing the pre- surgery lbs due to the statistics show that people who loose weight have a 97-98% of gaining it back plus some eventually. I am anxious to see if Aenta approves my surgery.

I am on month 4 of my 6 month supervised diet and I have fluctuated in weight. I lost 8 lbs one month but have gained it all back. I just got a call from the surgeons office informing me that I need to kick it into high gear in the next 2 months and lose some weight or I risk being denied by my insurance company. I'm a wreck!!

Do you mind me asking what type of insurance you have? I'm so freaking out b/c I have gained from 213 to 221 and afraid my MD will not do the surgery or insurance will not approve me. I have BCBS of AL. I also have terrible hypothyroidism and my medication for this has been increased 2 x since starting this 6 month period.

I wasn't required to lose weight prior to getting approved by insurance , just "attempt" it for 6 months (monitored). In fact, since I'm low BMI I might have been declined had I lost too much. I actually gained 12 lbs. weighing in at 220. My surgeon didn't require a pre-op diet, thank goodness, since I am beyond frustrated with not being able to stay on one.
The only way I've EVER been able to loose weight was the hcg injection diet. But you can't live on that. My sleeve op date is 10/26 I cannot wait!

I lost about 40 pounds. Our program's theory was that you need to show some loss, otherwise the insurance company would view you as noncompliant and a poor risk. There was no set number to lose, though and some months I gained a little or stayed the same (I had another surgery and some complications). But now I'm set to have my surgery Dec 14!!

Starting to have 2nd thoughts--surgery is one week away! From October at my heaviest I've lost only 13lbs. One week of preop diet and I'm only down 8lbs. I've seen others have massive losses during preop time. I think this is why I decided to do this bc I can't typically lose on just diet and exercise alone but what if I go through all of this and still don't lose the 100+lbs my surgeon says I will.....??

I was required to lose 10%. I was approved in a few days and surgery was schedule 2 weeks out. I lost 22lb in that timeframe on a liquid diet. They want the fat around your liver to decrease for a successful operation. Gl

Nutritionist for 90 days.

Down 30

Surgery on Wednesday the 16th

I we required to loose wait just bit a specific amount. The goal was to consistently loose for 6 months whether 1 pound or 2. First 4 months I only lost about 2 pounds a month month 5 I lost 6 pounds and I lost 12 pounds in my 15 day pre-op diet. Surgery is tomorrow. They just don't want you to think it's a ticket to a food fest before surgery.

I've been on the pre op liquid diet since before thanksgiving. Almost 6 weeks now. In the time between May and December, I lost around 30lbs which is 10% of my body weight. I'd say half has been while on the liquid diet and the other half has been from changing my habits over the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My surgeon didn't require any specific amount of weight loss - although he said that if I gained weight, they would restart the process all over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@@amandasue, don't worry! It'll work, trust me. I had never been able to lose weight on ANY diet prior to surgery. I had the surgery and the weight is coming off steadily. I am so happy!!! You will have great results, trust me!

Edited by chickenmommy25

I'm worried about this too. Right now my BMI is about 42. They ask us to lose 10 lbs before surgery will be performed...but for me, losing 10 lbs would mean my BMI drops below 40 (the qualifying factor for my insurance). I have no co-morbidities.

If I drop below 40, will the insurance company deny me? If I don't lose 10 lbs, will the hospital deny me?

I lost 11 pounds