Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many if you lost weight during preop?

My insurance requires 6 month weight manage classes. I was wondering how many of you have to weight manage classes also and lost weight. I'm worried that they will say I don't need the surgery since I lost weight. Just curious and wondering what your insurance said - I'm starting to worry (only have 1 month left)

My highest weight was 248. I was required to lose 10% and by surgery date I was 216, so I lost a bit more. My insurance encouraged me to lose as much as possible as a pre op. Good luck!

I was not required to do a six-month diet.

But during the two months before my surgeon's pre-op two-week Protein shake diet started I put myself on a 1400 calorie/day diet and lost 11 pounds. I was absolutely chomping at the bit to get started!

BTW, I lost 8 pounds on my two-week surgeon's liver-shrinking pre-op diet.

I had the six month wait. Nutrition classes required by my insurance company. I only lost about 22 pounds the whole time. I was approved by insurance with no problem.

I was required to lose 10%. I was told the more you lose, the safer the surgery will be on your body and the easier recovery is. I also think this is a way of seeing if you will stick to the plan they give you.

I only had 2.5 weeks from when I was approved until surgery. I lost 15 lb in that time. 2 Protein Shakes a day and one lean cuisine at night. Of course not my fav lean cuisine. Ones with chicken or fish limiting carbs.

I lost 22 pounds on a three-month pre-op program.

I wasn't required to lose weight prior to getting approved by insurance , just "attempt" it for 6 months (monitored). In fact, since I'm low BMI I might have been declined had I lost too much. I actually gained 12 lbs. weighing in at 220. My surgeon didn't require a pre-op diet, thank goodness, since I am beyond frustrated with not being able to stay on one.

The only way I've EVER been able to loose weight was the hcg injection diet. But you can't live on that. My sleeve op date is 10/26 I cannot wait!

I was required to do 6 month monitored weight loss with no amount specific on losing but 2 weeks prior to surgery I have to lose at least 10lbs with the pre-op liquid diet. I'm quite scared tbh but this is a must have surgery for me so I'm focused on doing my best!

I wasn't required to lose weight but I tried really hard. I figured it was less weight after surgery to lose.

My highest weight was 257. The day of surgery I weighed 235.

I had a liquid diet the last two weeks but I only lost 8ish pounds on that.

Thanks. I'm just worried that my insurance company will say the surgery isn't necessary because I lost weight (it has been only 14lbs) but still worried.

@@itstimealready, so glad to hear someone had a similar situation as I did. I'm at the bottom spectrum of BMI and was told to "keep on keeping on" and not do the pre op diet. I might fall below the required BMI if I did the diet. Hcg was the only way I lost weight, too! Your surgery date is 1 day before mine!!! Good luck!!

Do you have comorbitites? My program encouraged as much weight loss as possible before. It shrinks the liver and makes surgery easier. I asked my program if it was possible to "lose too much weight" and they said no. That they submit to insurance your starting weight and they also wrote me a letter of medical necessity to go with all my other pre op testing.

I lost 30 lbs in the first two months of my supervised diet. I was encouraged to lose as much as possible down to 40 bmi.

I wish I'd have been more aggresive. My surgery is in a week and a half and I've only lost 50 lbs.

I needed the weight off quicker for relief on a back injury. I let being immobile for two months hold me back from losing.

I will say this.....the pre-op liquid phase is getting some quick results. I don't know if I could have stuck with it had I started it earlier, though. It's intense but I know it's short in duration so that makes it easier to endure.

I wasn't required to lose weight prior to getting approved by insurance , just "attempt" it for 6 months (monitored). In fact, since I'm low BMI I might have been declined had I lost too much. I actually gained 12 lbs. weighing in at 220. My surgeon didn't require a pre-op diet, thank goodness, since I am beyond frustrated with not being able to stay on one.

The only way I've EVER been able to loose weight was the hcg injection diet. But you can't live on that. My sleeve op date is 10/26 I cannot wait!

I'm October 26th too. ???? Good luck to you.