Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need letter from Primary Care doctor, and I don't have one

I have an OBGYN, but they won't write a letter. :( I have a local doctor that I've been to a couple of times a couple of years ago for sinus infections or strep throat, but I have been going to CareNow or CVS Minute clinic for the last couple of years.

I have Cigna (3 month process - 4 nutrition visits (2 completed), stress test (completed), psych test (completed), and EGD (completed).

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Call your insurance company and tell them that you use CVS Minute Clinic and do not have a primary and ask what they suggest. Bummer that your OB/GYN won't write a letter for you. Maybe your surgeon can refer you to someone who will write a letter for you.

Good luck!

Thanks! I'm gonna schedule an appointment with that doctor I saw last year, hopefully they will do it. The OBGYN said they would refer me to someone (which I thought was kinda crazy - refer me to someone who I have NO history with?). I called the bariatric office, and they weren't too helpful (I think the girl probably just answers phones?). That's a good idea about the insurance company. I'll try them if I can't find a doctor. Thanks for the response.

Why won't you OB/GYN write the letter? My endocrinologist wrote mine but honestly I see him more than PCP. Cigna approved right away (thank goodness). Otherwise I would consider setting up a physical with a new PCP. Would agree getting a recommendation from your bariatric surgeon is a good idea.

Why won't you OB/GYN write the letter? My endocrinologist wrote mine but honestly I see him more than PCP. Cigna approved right away (thank goodness). Otherwise I would consider setting up a physical with a new PCP. Would agree getting a recommendation from your bariatric surgeon is a good idea.

I know, crazy - right? They know more about my battle with my weight than anyone else . . . but I've only been seeing them a couple of years also. Without co-pays, I don't go to the doctor much anymore. I had a doctor in the last town I lived, but he died. Hard to get a letter from him. :)

Hmm. That stinks. Hopefully your surgeon has a suggestion?

If you have went to OB GYN and discussed weight they can not deny you your medical records. I am sure they weighed you. It would be easier for them to write a letter indicating your weight than to copy all of your records. Also have you been to a orthopedic doctor? They can weigh heavily on the approval also especially if you have joint pain.

I would definitely go to the doctor you were seeing previously. My PCP was really only my PCP for a month before she wrote my letter.

if all else fails, try going back to the doctor you saw years ago for the sinus infection. The reason I say that is because the PCP who is writing my letter, I have not been in their office for at least 2 years. I went back to her and explained that I was reconsidering surgery and I have an appointment to come into the office for bloodwork on next week. Her medical assistant said once I come in and do bloodwork, they will send my surgeon a clearance letter for surgery. Good luck!

That's weird. My obgyn wrote a short letter. Actually it just stated my weight for the past 5 years. I used them, and my neurologist because I've only seen my new pcp once.

I have a 3 record of having weight problems. At one point my BMI was at 79 :o which was back in 2013 when I was first diagnosed with osteoarthritis. I got a new PCP just this year after not having one for 2 years because bloodwork was needed plus a letter from him...and I wouldn't be able to get surgery done without those two things.

I have a PCP, but I was hoping to leave her out of the process since she's always been weird about my weight issues. My rheumatologist is the one who actually gave me a medical reason for the surgery that bumped me off the fence about it. She flat out said it would be a direct benefit to my auto-immune arthritis. So I thought she'd be able to write the letter, but her office emailed me back and said she won't because the surgery has nothing to do with the condition she's treating me for, so I have to get it from my PCP. I'm going to try, but two things will happen if the PCP refuses... #1 I'm firing the PCP, and #2 I'm going to get testy with my rheumy's staff.

I'm damned tired of taking off work for all of these pre-requirement appointments.