Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cravings - Pre versus Post

Curious for those of you post-op, how have your cravings changed from pre to post surgery? Has there been change in the intensity of your cravings, or the type of food you are craving? I've heard the surgery can affect your taste for different foods. I'm going in for surgery on Thursday and have been on a 2-week liquid diet. I keep having interesting cravings... for awhile it was carrots with hummus, then lemons (sucked the juice from a couple wedges the other night) and lately I've been craving taco meat.< /p>

I'm only 5 days post op, but I haven't had any cravings yet. I'm sure they are to come though!

pre-surgery I craved fatty things like pizza and cheese-laden Mexican food. Now I tend to crave things I can actually eat. Chili comes to mind - I occasionally crave that.

I'm a few months post-op and I don't have any cravings or hunger at all. It makes it really hard for me to eat. I just have to schedule my meals to remain consistent and make sure I get all of my requirements in for the day.

Also a few months out and still no hunger. Sometimes I crave salty, but everything is salty now, so...

My hunger came back at about 6 months post op. Yes I do get cravings, most of them for good Protein and good carbs. Every once in a while I crave chocolate, specifically gooey brownies. I have to get my mind off of it quickly and if I cannot I will eat a chocolate pudding which really helps with that craving,

Head hunger will always be the toughest thing for us to learn to deal with. Your brain says you want food but you really are not hungry. The only way to deal with it is to go do something to keep yourself busy.

Good luck to you on Thursday! See you on the other side!

I'm eight days post-op and my cravings for sweets are gone. I occasionally crave just regular food, like chicken salad, but I only want a bite or two cause I know I'll feel way full then. I think I just miss eating normal food, even the healthy kind. I have felt a little hungry at points in the last day or two but am satisfied after about three sips of Protein. Usually the thoughts of normal food leave my mind then too. It's definitely a big difference for me!

I crave vegetables, still at 11 1/2 months post op.

Nothing changed about my cravings - I still crave the same stuff I did before surgery and have to work hard to stay away from it all. The good thing is when I do give in, I can't ever eat much of it.

So going into my 4th day post-op (October 1st) and it's hard for me to distinguish between stomach cravings and head cravings. I wasn't able to eat anything until a bit of Water down Greek yogurt on my 3rd day post-op. I'm very sore and know I'm not hungry, but every now and then I see a pizza or Taco Bell commercial and get that hunger twinge in my stomach. I know it's really all in my head... but it feels real at that moment. Hopefully I can learn to tune those mental hunger pains out over the next few weeks.

I've been wanting a salad like crazy, and im five weeks post op. In the next couple weeks I'll finally be able to have one! Can't wait!

Pre-op I craved Mexican food all the time. I had several "food funerals" abs every now and then I want some, but I'm at a stage now where I can make modified recipes, just no tortillas and far less cheese than I used pre-surgery. And as someone else mentioned, I eat so little now that when I am able to eat "regular" again, I would never eat the way I did before.