Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Primary physician not thrilled

Hi there,

I'm pretty new here, posted a few time but lurk a lot. Thank you all for your questions and stories, it helps a ton.

So I went to my primary to get her opinion on WLS. She was all for it until I told her I wanted to go to Mexico. My insurance won't cover it so I'm self pay and it's SO much cheaper. She suggested I not go there and when I was home I noticed that she stated that in my paperwork.

So needless to say, my surgery is Oct. 22. Ha ha. My question is should I find another doctor? I only see her once a year for my annual. If am sick or need to be seen right away I always see the nurse practitioner. So I won't miss her. I was a little bummed she wasn't more supportive. I'm not even sure if I would find a Dr. That would support going to Mexico. What do you think would happen if I had issues after and needed to be seen here locally?

Any input or experiences you've had would be appreciated.

I had WLS in Mexico in June with ALM. I saw my GP last week and brought him my medical records from the surgery. He was delighted with my results and also asked why I chose to go to Mexico. I told him that because I was under 40 BMI and my insurance has such a high co-pay that it was less expensive, more comprehensive with longer hospital stay and aftercare and eliminated the whole cumbersome pre-surgery process. He was totally understanding and supportive of my decision. He also said he does not understand why the insurance companies do not actively support this surgery to get people into a healthier lifestyle in a more efficient manner.

I went to Mexico and had a wonderful experience. My surgery was relatively painless and I had zero complications. If you go to Mexico just make sure you do your research before picking a surgeon. Get a doctor here who agrees to see you for your post-op stuff before you go. Good Luck!

My primary doc was against all WLS, regardless of type or where performed. She talked about how "everybody regains the weight", live a life of misery etc etc. I came to realize that she went to medical school in the 1970s, perhaps early 80s and was simply biased, uninformed and as a lifelong skinny person just told me that I needed to buy better cookbooks.

I dumped her. I had the sleeve (luckily insurance covered) and 150# lost and maintaining, haven't looked back.

Ironically I was seeing a counselor at the same time.I was giving it one last try to try to "fix my head" to lose weight before taking the plunge to be sleeved. I realized she was very focused on severe eating disorders, which i didn't have. She was very very very anti WLS but to her credit, gave me the psych clearance because she knew I had researched, thought about it and had realistic expectations and understood the lifestyle changes I would need to make. I dumped her too ... but it was because she gave me a book about a lady who named her eating disorder "Ed" and their ongoing relationship. I could not relate to a single bit of that book and I realized she simply did not believe that I got hungry ALL THE TIME and had physical metabolic issues related to my obesity.

I guess what i am trying to say is we need to be advocates for ourselves, Docs are just humans with biases and in some cases incorrect or dated information.

Hi there,

I'm pretty new here, posted a few time but lurk a lot. Thank you all for your questions and stories, it helps a ton.

So I went to my primary to get her opinion on WLS. She was all for it until I told her I wanted to go to Mexico. My insurance won't cover it so I'm self pay and it's SO much cheaper. She suggested I not go there and when I was home I noticed that she stated that in my paperwork.

So needless to say, my surgery is Oct. 22. Ha ha. My question is should I find another doctor? I only see her once a year for my annual. If am sick or need to be seen right away I always see the nurse practitioner. So I won't miss her. I was a little bummed she wasn't more supportive. I'm not even sure if I would find a Dr. That would support going to Mexico. What do you think would happen if I had issues after and needed to be seen here locally?

Any input or experiences you've had would be appreciated.

I would get a new PCP. Post op you'll need a physician to monitor your blood work. I'd have no confidence in someone who didn't agree with my decision to steer me on the right course of post op health.

I never discussed having WLS with my pcp, only sent an electronic referral request to see the surgeon, which she sent through.

Shustar, what insurance company are you with? I am with Aetna and it sounds similar to yours. Lots of hoops to jump through.

I wanted to have surgery in Mexico and he ABSOLUTELY said no way!!!!!! That was the end of that. He would not even research it or anything. He says their standards are not as high as the U.S. and it is too risky and I am not going there. Period. I was really bummed because I am paying about $8000 out of pocket.