Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dumping, don't get it.

Hey there...I am three months out, rny. I have not had dumping syndrome at all. Aside from throwing up three times because I ate too much and the food wouldn't go down. But I've tried sugar and nothing. Fat, nothing. I'm kind of disappointed that I don't have that negative physical response that makes you never touch whatever it was ever again. But, I'm also relieved that I don't get sick. It's bittersweet.

Does dumping rear it's ugly head later in recovery, or in the life long journey? Or am I just lucky and shouldn't question fate?

I believe I got it for the very first time 2 nights ago and let me tell you, it sucked if that is what it was.

I had a small scoop of ice cream at my father n laws. Butter pecan to be exact. Now I have had ice cream since my surgery in small amounts and usually I just get a heavy feeling in my stomach but no big deal.

Within 10 minutes of eating that ice cream my lower intestines began cramping up to the point where I was doubled over. It felt like my insides were actually twisting. I thought oh my goodness do I have a bowel obstruction because it was excruciating. This went on for 3 hours before it finally calmed down. I did not throw up nor did I get diarrhea.

Either it was a form of dumping or it was a severe lactose intolerance issue but I can tell you, I won't be eating ice cream again. In the beginning I had a lactose problem but it went away.

I have never dumped and I am glad if is anything like this.

I THINK I have dumped once or twice. Just got diahreea quick and hot flashes, for about a 1/2 hour to hour. Then i was fine. Had to much grease, couldn't resist dad's hash browns, only had 1/4 of a cup but it made me sick.

I have a question...what's that offle pain you get in your chest as if you swallowed a brick and you have to throw up? Not chewing well enough??

That is restriction. Your tummy is full or a piece of food is too big to go through. I usually force myself to get sick at that point. Rather that then the feeling of getting stabbed. Not fun....but yeah probably didnt chew well enough.

That is restriction. Your tummy is full or a piece of food is too big to go through. I usually force myself to get sick at that point. Rather that then the feeling of getting stabbed. Not fun....but yeah probably didnt chew well enough.

got it, ty

It's only happened a couple times. I'll be 2 years out in November. I wish I dumped more. I had a feeling before I had surgery that i wouldn't.

I haven't had my surgery yet but I can tell you I've noticed an enormous difference in the ability to digest regular ice cream versus organic ice cream. It seems the chemicals in the fake stuff aggravate me much more. I have no problem with the organic so I am guessing after surgery this might even be more crucial info. Just a thought.

Organic ice cream is everywhere now and about the same price as the regular kind.

Like you said, it's definitely bittersweet. I am three months post-op and have dumped four times. After the first two times, I knew what was coming and what was about to happen and all four times have been the same "schedule of events", if you will. The first two times it was sweets (learned my lesson), the third it was fish and the fourth it was ham! Shortly after I begin eating (like two bites, literally minutes), my mouth will start watering. Then it's nearly an entire hour before I actually throw-up. I wish I could just throw-up and get it over with, but have been unsuccessful at those two attempts.

I am happy that I have experienced dumping, but sad that I have not tolerated meat well. If I could just dump on sweets, I would be a happy camper!

Seven weeks out here and have not had any dumping symptoms either. I have had to vomit a couple of times when things got stuck, but that was about 3 weeks ago. It was a feeling that I did not care to repeat so I'm more careful how I chew and "listen" to my body.

However, I've not had anything with too much sugar since I'm already diabetic and need to watch those sorts of things anyway, and nothing too "fatty" either. I have tried all sorts of different foods now (except shellfish) as well. In a way, I wish I could experience it at least once so I know what to look for, but yeah, nothing yet.

I haven't had my surgery yet but I can tell you I've noticed an enormous difference in the ability to digest regular ice cream versus organic ice cream. It seems the chemicals in the fake stuff aggravate me much more. I have no problem with the organic so I am guessing after surgery this might even be more crucial info. Just a thought.

While I don't disagree with the organics in general being better. There are all natural ice creams that are not full of a bunch of crap ingredients. Before surgery I was a very picky ice cream eater. It had to be only certain brands and certain flavors.

The key is to find on the label the actual words "ice cream" or "all natural ingredients" if it says "frozen dairy dessert" it contains more filler and less natural ingredients.

Five days out and I have already experienced dumping from the other end ????

I just tested the Water to see what it would do and I don't recommend it AT ALL!!!!

I am totally addicted to Reese Peanut Butter Cups and it was not worth the reaction my body had to it. Not just the dumping but the way my whole system feels like YUCK

Don't do it

I'm 11 days out and on puréed foods . I'm not sure what I experienced but it was horrible! At the night I had refried Beans with cheese and felt it had to much cheese so stopped eating them. In the Morning I had 1/4th of light Greek yogurt (strawberry) and only Water after. Around 1:30 I had horrible cramps had to go #2 it wasn't diarrhea at first but I got the shakes started sweating and breathing hard. Then finally came the diarrhea (tmi sorry) the other things lasted another 3 mns or do then I was fine . Anyone know what could of caused it? I'm thinking the yogurt although I've ate it before with no prob .