Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Craving protein shakes

This may sound nuts ... but when it's time to eat food food ... I taste my Protein Shake in my mouth ... and I'd rather have that ...

( if that statement makes sense )

It's gotten to the point where I'd rather drink the shake than eat ...

Is this normal ?

Well... honestly ... what is normal anymore !

Anyone else going through this or something similar ?

It looks like we are both far enough out that Protein shakes should no longer be used as a primary source. If I really don't want food at a particular time and just want a clear liquid, Isopure works perfectly fine for me, and for some reason even continues to provide some satiety. If you are still feeling satisfied after the Protein shake and are not getting cravings later, then more power to you, but I would imagine that at some point you will need to resort to solid, dense Protein to get the true feelings of fullness.

It's great that you have found them tolerable and even preferable. So many people here can't stand them.

@ - Hey Sleevy!

You said that it's great I find the shakes tolerable .. ME TOO ! I've ready so many on here that hate them ... and have tried several ... I only tried one ... and got it right on the first try !

I do eat meat for lunch and for dinner ... but it's just that ... meat. Doc said to start introducing fruits and veggies slowly ... but the rule book is bigger than the Atlanta phone book ... so I'm scared to death!

I guess my mind is just going for the one thing that I know will satisfy me and gives me the Protein I need for the day ...

I knew this journey would be mind over matter ... and it is !

It's important to eat real food. Many of us supplement, but you need to move onto regular food. Crack that manual open! Your body needs fruits and veg. Limit Protein Shake to 1 maybe 2 a day and no more.

@@MrsKarenC2008 That's definitely the way to do it...protein first, then veggies, then if you really really must, a healthy whole grain carb. I think at this point the rules on veggies are relaxed save for those foods that have really tiny seeds that can get stuck in any residual healing lines. The big leafy vegetables should be fine for us now. And honestly, I have been feeling pretty gross the last few weeks being able to have my Protein but not being able to have anything green. Also, maybe your surgeon has a different opinion, but I don't see the problem with getting your Protein from the shakes, and your fullness sensation from some raw veggies. Hopefully they don't make you nauseated. After all, there are vegetarians out there, and they need their protein from somewhere too, so it has to be fairly common.

@ I know that I've heard iceberg lettuce is basically nothing but Water so go for the spinach leaves instead .. I may do that ... maybe with a teeny tiny bit of FF balsamic vinaigrette ... see how that sits .. it's a start !

and yes ... I've been very careful with things with seeds ... the last thing I want / need is a problem in there ... I've been so good to my sleeve so far ... :)

I'm glad I made this initial post ... I'm actually getting a little excited to try something new! :)

i love my Protein shakes. Ive experimented with them, i make them super thick sometimes, throw a little sugar free cool whip on it blend with ice , eat it with a spoon, and voila, like a milkshake, kinda.

Vegetarian here. Dark green leafy veg also contain Protein, so go for those. If you want a break from meat, try topping with a hard boiled egg and some black Beans. I also use salsa instead of salad dressing. Very low cal and fat free.

I lived on 2 shakes plus some tiny meals for MONTHS, heck I still do some days and I'm alive! :)

@Stevehud I haven't been very willing to "step outside the box" ... so I haven't "tried" much of anything new ... sad for me ... because I know there is a lot of new things I'm missing out on !

I love your milkshake idea ! :)

@Elode That is what I've been doing too! shake for Breakfast .... meat for lunch ... shake for afternoon pick me up ... meat for dinner ... SF fudgesicle for my treat at night ... the occasional handful of peanuts or low-fat cheese stick or yogurt or scrambled egg ... but that is all I've lived on since surgery ... and yes, I'm alive :)

I'm 5 weeks out and I do 2 Protein Shakes per day. It's the only way I can get my required grams each day. I just can't eat enough regular food to meet my goals. I have PS for bfast and pureed chicken usually for lunch (I melt LF cheese on it) and 2oz of fish at dinner. I do my 2nd Protein Shake an 1 1/2 after dinner. I can't fit veggies or fruits at this point. Iam trying to balance it all out but really just concerned with fluids and Protein at this point. I'll get there soon enough.