Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I know I shouldn't, but I am...

So some of you are aware that I have a 12 month insurance program. During this time I've lost 40lbs. I graduate on September 30th and have a surgery date of October 19th!!!

With that said, I know I shouldn't have food funerals, but now that I'm a month away I find myself saying...I want to make sure I have X before my surgery!

I monitor my weight and I'm not gaining. I am definitely not eat as large of portions, but I need help changing my mind set! I know I'm not saying goodbye to smoked BBQ and grilled chicken wings for forever...

Edited by linzlou2000

Don't feel guilty- a lot of us had food funerals. Mine was a homemade German chocolate cake with double icing. It took me two days but ate the whole thing by myself!!!

Congrats on the weight you have lost. Good luck on your surgery!!

People say food funerals mean you aren't ready. I disagree, food funerals are the only thing that got me through almost a whole month without chewing. I could look back remember what I had and remember why I never need to eat like that again.

Thanks for your response. I don't take it as a sign I'm not ready either. I appreciate your point of view!!! I'm very aware of my thoughts and I'm not binge eating. Just very carefully planning my favorite foods over the next month. My husband is amazing on the grill. I know that there will be a time during recovery I won't be enjoying his amazing dinners. I'm still choosing Protein and limiting my carbs. I'm just mentally preparing for missing food as I know my life is about to change for the better.

I guess it isn't so much food funerals, but more kinda sad/nervous/anxious about the changes coming next month.

I didn't have a very long time to wait, but once I knew I was having surgery, I ate my way through. I made it my business to have anything I wanted, in any quantity, and as often as I wanted it. Even at 300+ pounds, I had never done that. Oddly, I didn't gain any weight. I am glad I did that, never felt bad about it, and have been very successful. I think it was my way of coming to terms with what I knew was permanent change coming.

I am scheduled for surgery Oct 16 and I had a list of ten places to eat before surgery, my mamas kitchen on the list twice! I think it's ok and I know I am ready!!!

Edited by Soxgirl

I am more than two years post op. I PROMISE you, giving up foods was not quite as hard as you think it will be and eventually you get those foods back. Looking back this far out, I don't even remember the "suffering".

I am down from a size 20 to a size 6/8 and I am thrilled. Totally worth the couple of months of bland food.

I can eat anything I want, anytime I want, the amount is simply severely limited. Most "bad" things, I don't even want any more. It's AMAZING.

I just got my date, November 2, and I have a few places on my list to hit before than. I never thought about it being a sign of not being ready, I thought it was pretty normal. Once i let the people who know about the surgery know my date, one of the first things to come up was where we wanted to go one last time before my two week diet start. Not that I will overindulge until then, and most places I will be able to go to again. Already made reservations for the local Brazilian steak house for the weekend before the preop diet start. That is one place I may just over indulge in since there wont be any point in going back after surgery.

I am in the middle of my food Farewell Tour, my surgery is Oct 22nd. I don't see it as a sign that I am not ready. I see it as a conscious decision to change my ways, revisiting my favorites one more time, before it is a loooooong time before I can have a bite of it again. We did the same thing when my dad was diagnosed with tonsillar cancer (yes, you can have tonsil cancer). Before he started the chemo and radiation we encouraged him to have his favorites as much as possible. We knew that he wouldn't be able to eat it during radiation and there was a high possibility that his taste buds would be permanently damaged (which they were). Enjoy your funeral and keep your eye on the ball.

I never got to do my food funeral. It all happened too quickly.

@@Radar, I almost didn't get mine. When they were scheduling me, they actually had an opening on Oct 2nd. My companion wasn't able for that date so I chose the next available. If I had taken the 2nd, I would have had 3 days before starting my pre op diet.