Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone!

Over the course of the last two weeks, some of you may know that I have been struggling with the most horrific left side pain known to mankind. The incision area, that my surgeon playfully likes to refer to as the place where "the magic happens", has been troublesome and pulling and nagging and even gave me a friendly little muscle spasm earlier this week. I have been immobile, I have been crying harder than I've ever cried and I have endured all of this pain without pain meds. I'm pretty sure my husband and children are afraid of me. LOL

Because of the pain and lack of mobility, I have been having buyer's remorse. With every day that has passed, I have continually asked myself "What did I get myself into?" "What have I done to myself?" "Was this worth it?"

Today I got all of my questions answered.

Today I went to my two week post-op appointments with my surgeon and nutritionist. I stepped on the scale and closed my eyes and told the MA to tell me when to open. I heard her say "wow!" and I couldn't help but open my eyes. I had lost 20 pounds since surgery! TWENTY POUNDS!!! With the 30 I lost pre-op, I have lost a grand total of 50 pounds!!! I AM ON THE LOSER'S BENCH!

I started to cry. My husband teared up a little too I think, because he knows how hard I've struggled with my weight over the course of my life and our relationship and with the insurance and all of the pain. Two weeks, 20 pounds..what an amazing feeling!

I won't go into details on the appointment itself, because it was normal post-op appointment, but I will share the fact that my blood pressure was the best it has been since I was in my 20s, possibly my teens. When I was in the hospital after surgery, my blood pressure was a major issue, so to see that my numbers were normal was astounding.

The meeting with my nutritionist was just as expected. She told me I wasn't getting enough Protein in, but I knew that already. It is something I'm struggling with and she told me to go ahead and move onto the RTD shakes (Premier Protein, specifically, because of their high Protein content), which I was thrilled about because I hate the Protein powder they have me currently on. She noted that my liquid intake was good, but could be better (I knew that too!) and gave me some food/snack tips for my trip to Disneyland next month, which was incredibly helpful.

After I left this appointment I stopped and cried some more because I was so overwhelmed by the progress I have made thus far. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that only two weeks out, I would've lost 20 pounds, nevertheless 50 pounds in a month. Those brief moments of tears were freeing and exciting and it made me realize that everything I have gone through to get to this point has been worth every agonizing, frustrating, tiring and painful minute.

My questions then became "What took me so long to do this?" "Why did I doubt my choice?"

I knew going into this that it wasn't going to be easy, and it took me a while to get here, but now I know it has most definitely been worth it.

Here's to the next 20 pounds!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

xoxo,

Niki

Edited by Nikikins

I had tears reading this. You sound like such a strong person with a string soul. Sorry for the pain and suffering, congrats on the weight loss. I love reading your updates, keep them coming!

Congratulations! I'm so glad that your hard work is paying off for you! The first couples weeks are always tough, but it gets better and better. I'm a month post op today, and I feel just fine! You'll get there too, and soon. Keep up the good work and take amazing care of yourself.

p.s. - super impressed and envious of your 20 pound loss. I've lost 17 pounds... in 4.5 weeks. >.<

Woot woot! I am so very happy for you.

I know that at times we hit bumps in the road but the best thing you can

do for yourself is stay positive. That will always take you through the next bump, and yes you will have them.

Congratulations on getting through one of the roughest parts and losing 50lbs in one month is absolutely amazing!

Wow you go girl keep it up

Keep up the Amazing work!!

So happy for your success!

That is amazing! Congratulations girl, be proud and hold your head high!!!! Whoot that is awesome!!!! 50 pounds is incredible!!!!!!! I was wondering about you. Haven't seen you on much, but now it is understandable as to why.

Those pain meds are there for a reason, sometimes it is needed to take the edge off to stay mobile and to heal. I am so sorry you were dealing with pain. I am curious as to why you didn't want to take them?

I am so happy for you!!! You will meet your goal in record time! :D

Thanks for updates, and soooooo glad you are doing so well!!! YAY!!!!

Thank you everyone for the well wishes!! I really appreciate them :)

@@Dream4tc When I was discharged from the hospital, they only gave me one week's worth of pain medication. My surgeon would not refill my prescription until he saw me in person (GRRR!) so I tried OTC Tylenol which really didn't do anything. So I just stopped taking the Tylenol. When I saw my surgeon yesterday, he still wouldn't prescribe me anymore pain meds and told me.in the most caring of ways, that I need to "walk it off" to keep the muscles strong. I was a little disappointed because I feel like I could use a mild pain killer because it still really hurts to walk longer than 5-10 minutes at a time, but he has a point. So today I'm going to try to take a lap around my apartment complex and see how I do.

So happy to read this update, Niki!!!

It's a journey - not a race or a sprint - and there are really really hard parts of the journey, which I think you saw first hand. But you made it thru!! You are experiencing the victory of the pain. So proud of you for sticking it out!!!

Head up, girl...it only gets better/easier!!!

Congratulations on your progress. I am 3 weeks post and have lost 60 Lbs (32 pre and 28 post). I am feeling slight discomfort on the left side as well. more of a nag than a pain. Did your surgeon advise as to why you have the pain?

Way to go. I am 4 weeks post op and have dealt with agonizing left side pain for the last 2 weeks. Just as you said, it has been immobilizing to say the least. Any way, fast forward to my four week post op appt. Dr told me the same thing "walk it off". Recommended I think about supporting my abdomen during activities. I stopped at my local Walgreens pharmacy and bought a post surgical abdominal binder and OMG....it's amazing how much it helps. I'm so glad I got it. I hope your pain subsides soon. Best wishes.

@@margin76 It's because the left incision where my pain is, is where all of the tools went in and all of the work was done. There's also sutures in that area as well. He did his sutures really tight to avoid bowel obstructions and things of that nature. He said it's completely normal (for me, at least) Congrats on your progress thus far, you're doing amazing! Thanks for the well wishes!

@@camsmom08 The abdominal binder is a blessing and a curse for me. Sometimes it helps and sometimes it makes my pain worse! If it works for you, that is fantastic!! I hope your pain subsides as well, it is no fun!! Thanks for the well wishes!

Thank you everyone for the well wishes!! I really appreciate them :)

@@Dream4tc When I was discharged from the hospital, they only gave me one week's worth of pain medication. My surgeon would not refill my prescription until he saw me in person (GRRR!) so I tried OTC Tylenol which really didn't do anything. So I just stopped taking the Tylenol. When I saw my surgeon yesterday, he still wouldn't prescribe me anymore pain meds and told me.in the most caring of ways, that I need to "walk it off" to keep the muscles strong. I was a little disappointed because I feel like I could use a mild pain killer because it still really hurts to walk longer than 5-10 minutes at a time, but he has a point. So today I'm going to try to take a lap around my apartment complex and see how I do.

As a registered nurse, I am extremely shocked and angry that this surgeon treated you this way. That is really terrible!! I am sorry to say this but he was being a horses a** to you! I would be making a complaint and finding another surgeon to follow up with. Do you have a primary care physician ? I would contact your PCP also to see if you can get some relief. You poor girl.(Hugs)!!!!! I am so sorry that he made you endure that much pain! Let's hope he never has to be hospitalized and need pain medication and be told to "walk it off"! How unprofessional, cruel, and with lack of care and compassion he was. I am so sorry!!!

Edited by Dream4tc

@@Dream4tc I actually really like my surgeon. I was not at all thrilled that he wouldn't prescribe me more pain medication but he had his reasons (a lot to do with patients abusing the pills, the pills slow down the healing process and wreak havoc on your system). I guess as a doctor I have to respect what he said, but at the time I wanted to shove his reasons down his throat! LOL I do like him though and will not hold this against him.

My PCP did not help, he referred me back to my surgeon. I do not like my PCP at all.

My pain is no longer as severe as it was during that time (or earlier this week even) and I can move and be more mobile. I am still in pain but it is not nearly as bad, so I feel like I probably am at a point now where walking it off might be an option. Before it wasn't, but now I think it's possible.

I'm just going to move forward on this journey and know that it'll get better and easier as @@Amylou said earlier!