Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Afraid of all of the holiday's coming!

Hi. I was sleeved last February so I missed the holidays! I've been doing great losing 100+lbs including pre-op. But now I'm nervous for Halloween, thanksgiving, Christmas and FOOTBALL season! I'm really going to stay focused, but to be honest if I didn't have a problem eating I wouldn't have had surgery. It's making me nervous and anxious. Anyone feeling this way?

I'm actually kind of looking forward to the holidays so my family can see how much weight I will have lost by then. The food I'm not too worried about. My relationship with food has changed since my surgery journey so I think I will be able to control myself

I look forward to Thanksgiving and Christmas this year. Everyone gathers at my house. I love to cook and I have learned how to tweek some of my best loved recipes to make them healthier. I am hoping to teach a few family members some things about making smarter choices and Portion Control.< /p>

It's really hard with all the food everywhere. My one tip is never go anywhere hungry and eat Protein first wherever possible. Also track your Cals even if you don't normally and even on a day you go WAY over. It's ok to have a day where you eat a lot but it's good to see how often that's happening!

I'm nervous too! I has surgery on Aug 20th and Thanksgiving will be 3 months out and Christmas will be 4 months out. First of all, I am worried that I will not be able to eat at all. I know people say by 3 months you are able to eat almost anything as long as you chew it up really well. I am find making healthy choices but what if I still can eat... UGH! Also, I haven't told my family about surgery so will they judge or will they "know" by how much food I put on my plate. This makes me really nervous as well. I have been telling people that I am on a new high Protein, low carb diet and that is why I am losing weight but I am terrified that my family will be angry that I didn't tell them if they find out. (only my hubby and a few friends know about the surgery)

On the bright side I have always been the "fat girl" in our family so I am SUPER PUMPED to see their faces when they see me now!

Hopefully I get sleeved the week of thanksgiving and am too sore to eat much for Christmas lol.

I was so early out last year during the holidays, they were a breeze for me. Last Halloween was the first one where I didn't eat ONE piece of candy. I was pretty proud of myself.

This year I'm afraid the Holidays will be a little more difficult for me now that I can eat whatever I want with no issues and will be on maintenence. But we will get through them with NO GAINS gosh darn it!

I think it's good to have a strategic plan. I know it's only the middle of September but I've already mapped out in my mind how I'm handling these special occasions. Will everything go according to plan? Maybe not, but I'm arming myself with the plan anyway and anticipating challenges and imagining how I will handle these situations. I enjoy thinking ahead and it gives me less stress this way.

I ran across these tips a while back. Hope they help.

Get my FREE eBook - The Top 10 WLS Fears and How to Kick Their Butt!

Empowering Weight Loss Surgery newbies and veterans with confidence and knowledge to lose weight and keep it off for life

1. It is easier to get distracted from signals of physical hunger and satiety at social gatherings, especially if food is the main event. Make an effort to pay close attention to your body's signals.

2. Be a food snob. Skip the store-bought goodies, the dried-out fudge and the so-so stuffing. If the food you select doesn't taste as good as you expected, stop eating it and choose something else. Think of how much less you'd eat if you only ate things that tasted fabulous!

3. Think of your appetite as an expense account. How much do you want to spend on appetizers or the entree? Do you want to save some room for dessert? Go through this process mentally to avoid eating too much food and feeling uncomfortable for the rest of the evening.

4. Pace your eating prior to the event so you’ll be hungry but not famished at mealtime. But please, ignore the old diet advice of "eat before you go to a party so you won't be tempted." That is absurd! You want to be hungry enough to enjoy your favorites.

5. Socialize away from the sight of the food. People who tend to overeat are "food suggestible" so just hanging around food causes them to eat more than they need.

6. Survey all of the food at a buffet before making your choices. Choose the foods that you really want most at that time and remind yourself that you can have the other foods at a later time.

7. If the food is so special, give it your full attention rather than eating on autopilot. Eat mindfully by reducing distractions and sitting down to eat - even if it's just a cookie. Appreciate the appearance and aroma of your food and savor one small bite at a time by putting your fork down. You'll eat less food but enjoy it more.

8. If the food doesn't taste as good as you expected, stop eating it and choose something else.

9. Since the duration of the meal tends to be extended at social events, you may need to have your plate taken away (or put your napkin on it) once you are satisfied to avoid nibbling unconsciously.

10. Be aware of the effects of alcohol on your food intake. And don't forget that many beverages contain calories too.

11. Be cautious of "obligatory eating" - avoid eating just because it is on the table, on your plate, because you paid for it, it’s free, or because someone made it. Deal with Food Pushers with a polite but firm, "No thank you." If you're concerned about hurting their feelings, ask for the recipe or a small portion to take home with you for another meal.

12. It's common to have candy and Snacks lying all over the place this time of year. Avoid indulging in food just because it's there. Grazing unconsciously leads to extra calories that you probably won't even remember enjoying.

13. Before having a cookie, a piece of fudge or other holiday treat that was laid in the break room, check your hunger level. If you’re hungry and you choose a favorite food to satisfy you, remember to sit down and eat it mindfully – no guilt.

14. At restaurants, the portion sizes are usually huge - almost always "two for the price of one." Request appetizer portions, co-order and co-eat with your dining partner, or have the server package up your meal to go as soon as you feel satisfied. Remember, "super-size" is no bargain if you didn't need that much food in the first place!

15. Look for opportunities for physical activity - take a walk after dinner to enjoy the lights, take a few laps around the mall before it opens to do some window shopping or take guests to local attractions.

http://www.bsciresourcecenter.com/proddetail.php?prod=FAHolidayEatingMMay

I've been thinking about this too. I was sleeved April 15th and I'm down 67 hoping for 80 by Halloween, which is when my 6 month honeymoon phase will be over. I'm hoping to keep losing (just slower). My plan is Protein first, up the workouts, chew minty gum between meals to prevent grazing on the treats, and also, enjoy the holidays. I'll gave a few bites of my favorites and enjoy it guilt free. It's okay to do that in my book. And with the increase of energy I have now, I'll be more active and doing fun things instead of waiting around thinking about the next meal. OH...and I found if I wear tighter pants and get dressed up a little, it makes me eat less, even during football season. Hey, I'm from the south, football season is BIG! I get what you're saying. Good luck.