Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Op problems with (some) carbs, questions!

So, I am sure it's been discussed quite a bit about carbs/breads etc after surgery.

I understand it's not uncommon to have issues with these kinds of foods post-op. I was sleeved July 29th, and I seem to have problems with breat/wheat type stuff. I don't know about rice (haven't tried it yet), and I am ok with potatoes (but don't eat them much, and only a teeny bit when I do).

For me, it feels like I have been punched in the gut.

What I am wondering is:

1) does anyone know if this does damage to the body if you eat it (I am still new to this discovery, and sometimes make stupid mistakes)?

2) Also, does anyone know if using gluten free products (like bread, etc) would make a difference?

I'm just thinking about trying to limit my "restriction". Trying to find ways to normalize myself. I'd like to be able to occasionally (and I mean every couple of months, not a couple times a week) have a burger without it hurting, or have half a piece of toast with my egg.

So, does anyone have any input?

Thanks!!

My NUT says toasting the bread changes the molecular structure and makes it more tolerable for the tummy. I abstain from all breads and rice, I just don't want the empty calories and I was a carbaholic before so that is a slippery slope for me so I choose to be free of temptation. I still eat burgers just no bun.

I don't think there is any "damage" to the body per se but the bread can turn into a dough ball and cause major discomfort.

Good luck with your choices!

@@ShrinkingPeach

I was mostly a carbaholic when it came to baking/sweets. I have some rice wraps I am hoping to use for "sandwiches" or tacos, which are only 35 calories each, and 8g of carb (I would probably have to cut one into 3 meals at this point). Again, not an every day thing, but just once in a while.

I have certainly felt the discomfort! No fun (and that's probably a good thing).

Sounds like a plan, I hope you tolerate them well! :)

My plan says no rice, Pasta or bread for 6 months, and that's the way I like. I just think to myself, not on the plan, don't eat it, for me it helps. I was a breadaholic, I miss it so much, so I just stay away for now.

I gave up all that stuff mostly while I was losing, then started incorporating them back into my diet in the form of whole grains when I was close to goal (about 75% of my excess weight lost).

I only try to eat the brown stuff (bread, rice, etc...) and stay away from the less healthy white crap. It's still is very limited for me, because I do have cravings for more bread and sugar if I over do it.

Give it time. It took me at least 6 months before I really could eat bread or potatoes comfortably and then only a couple spoonfulls. For rice it took longer. As for gluten free, I don't know... I've kind of become a fan of GF rice crackers (Mary's gone crackers brand), they are very full of seeds so don't try them until you're ready, but seems like I do better with rice flour than wheat flour, probably because it doesn't swell up in my stomach as bad. Don't get me wrong, I eat carbs AND wheat, even rice if it's in sushi, but tend to avoid things that puff up even today. Just not a lot of real estate down there and I have to preserve the space!

I think what you have to remember is that aside from the discomfort, the space those items will expand to fill is absolutely essential for getting your Protein intake. Just think...would you rather have empty calories that take up a lot of space and result in you wanting more and more food or quality calories that take up little space, promote satiety, and don't give you any discomfiture whatsoever? Just my two cents. Carbs are just not worth it. Maybe a very special dessert at a special event, because that might actually taste good, but bread, which is not really any better for you than a slice of cake, should be worked around at all times. Every food that contains it has a variant without it that tastes just as good.