Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 3.5 weeks post op and feel like I want to be a runner (one of my goals is to run a half marathon) How did you who are runners get started? I see so many of you that have completed 5k, 10k and up. I just want to make sure I am doing it the right way and not getting started too early.

Hi, I got back into running after surgery and I'm training for a marathon right now. I started out signing up for a 5K. I started with walking and then would add a few intervals of jogging for a minute or two. Then I would just increase the number of intervals and the amount of time I jogged.

Last year before surgery, I would get tired walking on the treadmill for 20 minutes. Last Saturday, I ran 14 miles. All you have to do is start. :D

Start by walking. A lot. Then you can do a run/walk combo such as run 2 minutes, walk 2. Or whatever you're able to do to start with. The trick is to not run so fast you are over winded and can only do a couple minutes. Better to go slow more often and walk when you can't run. Time on your feet. Good luck. There are tons of training plans online

Look up Couch to 5k plans online or apps if you have a smart phone! The app I used is called Get Running but there are lots of them.

They are interval training to get you started running. They start with like walk three minutes run 15 seconds (and I thought I would DIE in those 15 secs!!!!). And slowly work you up to running for a full 30 mins at a time.

Lots of places to go after that point.

I was NEVER a runner even back in High School I walked when we had to run in PE. I just finished my first Marathon in May and have done a dozen or so half marathons and countless 5k's and 10k's... A few relays and triathlons too. All since my December 2013 surgery and I'm 46 years old. If I can do it anyone can!!!! I just won first overall female in a trail 10k last weekend!

I am 3.5 weeks post op and feel like I want to be a runner (one of my goals is to run a half marathon) How did you who are runners get started? I see so many of you that have completed 5k, 10k and up. I just want to make sure I am doing it the right way and not getting started too early.

Also look up Jeff Galloway. He's the father of walk/run intervals which I kept up until maybe my third half marathon. Great way to prevent injury and keep running!

Check out your local running stores for programs like the one I just started. It is a women's running academy for everyone from walkers who want to run a little to experienced marathoners. They provide pace mentors and give a talk each week about stretching, injury prevention, shoes, etc.

I never ran a day in my life until after surgery. In fact I HATED being outside and the thought of RUNNING outside made me cringe. lol. So I joined a gym after surgery and when I walked in , the least intimidating thing looked like the treadmill. At least I knew how to start it. So I downloaded a couch-2-5k app on my phone while on the treadmill and started working through it. It gave me structure so I didn't have to wonder what to do. I followed it the whole way through and was indeed running a 5k by the end. I ran my first 5k last June without stopping and was on top of the world. I kept training from there using the Hal Higdon app and have since run 10Ks, an 8-miler, a 1/2 marathon and am training for my first full marathon at the moment. I know it sounds cheesy, but the day I finished my first 5k and the day I finished my first 1/2 marathon were seriously right up there as 2 of the best days of my life (aside from my kids and my wedding...lol). I was so proud of all of my hard work and the fact that I pushed my body to accomplish something I never thought was possible. Trust me on this....if I can do it, you can do it! I now actually do consider myself a "runner" and my husband has actually referred to me in conversation as "athletic" which is the craziest thing in the world. Having my family there when I completed the 1/2 marathon was just amazing. My teen daughters were so proud of me. Also the time that I have to myself in training is my only "me" time and it is kind of a meditation time in a way when I process through a lot of the stressors that I used to just "eat away".

So.....I know that was long-winded, but all you have to say is "running" and I'll talk forever. lol. I say go for it!! You may find you love it, or you may find something else you fall in love with on your cross-training days. Either way it is a win! Good luck!

Thank you everyone! This is all some really good advice! I cannot wait to get started, I guess that means that I have to get up and start walking more :) I have never in my life thought of myself as a runner. I have always been the overweight kid/woman and honestly that thought of running intimidates me a little bit.

Everyone's words have been so encouraging and I am going to get started ASAP! I'm 4 weeks out tomorrow and I think as a present to myself I am going to buy some really good running shoes.

I hit the treadmill. I walk for a minute, then start running. I run until I can't run anymore, then I walk. After a couple of minutes of walking, I start running again. I'm finding that the running stretches are getting longer, and the walking stretches shorter. Tuesday, I ran .75 mile, walked .25 mile, ran .6 mile, walked .2 mile, ran .7 mile, walked .15 mile, ran .75 mile. Good luck!