Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Welcome to the "At or near goal forum"

I try to walk anywhere from 5 1/2 to 6 miles per day, 5 to 6 days a week.

Surgery: 248lbs 7/22/09

Current: 138

Goal: 135

weight.png

Wow, That's really good. I sure don't think I could do 6 miles. I almost sure I couldn't even find the time but you have encouraged me so for sure today I start walking!!!

Wow.. that's a lot of walking.. 2 hours daily? I wish I had that kind of time. I'm going to try to add more into my schedule though. Certainly won't hurt!

That's partly why I took up running - to cover that sort of distance in an hour.

In answer to the previous poster who asked if those at goal fear gaining weight back - its a no for me. I do run about 5 to 6 miles a day in slightly less than an hour a day and I know I can reliably find that sort of time. If I need to cut it short then i can still cover 3 miles in half an hour or so, still a decent session. Because I do so much exercise, i can literally eat what I want and I have not gained an ounce in 2 and a half years.

I really do think exercise is the key to not regaining.

I just hit the 100 lb mark, and am one pound away from my official goal. I'm going to try for another 10-20 lbs though, which I think I will be able to accomplish fairly easily.

My knees and hip start hurting at 1.5 miles but I push on to 2 miles. I used to do 6 miles and feel so proud, but the pain wasn't worth it. The calorie burn was great, though. I live in constant fear of regaining my former wt. This "maintenance" period is very stressful and as tough a journey as the wt loss part. I journal everything I eat and drink so I can analyze any gain or loss. I am glad I have this thread to come to.

Mimi

I haven't had a fill for 2 years, but I feel like I am slowly losing my restriction (over the course of 6 mos or so. I have an appointment for a fill this week. I was just wondering if this had happened to anyone else. I did 5 days of liquids to make sure I was not stretching my pouch etc and that went fine. No pain or pbing or vomiting, just can eat too much and pretty much any food. Still have little restriction, but I am so worried about being too tight which seems to be the beginning of the end for a good many lapbanders. Anyone else have a similar experience?

:thumbup:

I'm about 10 pounds from goal - give or take because I'm not sure if I'll want to lose a little more then that or not. My BMI is in the normal range, although my Dr wants me to lose a little more fat - at least get it to around 26%. I feel good, I work out, I'm lighter on my feet and I'm sexy!!! I like my curves and I like fitting into size 6's. I'm afraid of my boobs going away but I suppose that's just the way it is.

YEAH I'M ALMOST THERE!!!!

Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd check in here. I'm two years and nine months and 150lbs out from LAP-BAND®®® surgery, maintaining at or below goal weight for about a year and a half. I weigh 137 pounds, about 13 lbs. below my goal weight of 150. I like the idea of having some elbow room between me and that number. It gives me some pounds to play with, and enough room to put on the brakes If I see my weight rising.

I had an unfill of .5 cc two weeks ago, from 6.5 cc to 6. It was my first trip to my surgeon in 16 months. What a difference half a cubic centimeter makes: I'm able to eat foods I wasn't able to keep down before (like fish, fruit and fresh vegetables), and food goes down easier and stays down more overall. I feel ready to take more responsibility over my food, and not let the band do most of the work for me. I'm keeping track of calories, weighing and measuring, but trying not to be obsessive about it.

A normal day starts with 1 cup of espresso, about a quarter cup, which is all I can keep down at that time of the day. At 10:00am I start to drink Water, and put down anywhere between half a liter and a liter between then and lunch, at about 1:00pm. Lunch is my main meal of the day: red meat, chicken or fish with vegetables, and a grain. I drink about half a liter of water while I eat – I know this is unorthodox, but it works for me. I have some fruit in the afternoon and early evening, and try to have dinner (grain, vegetables and dairy along with another half liter of H20) no later than 9:00 pm.

Food is still an issue. There are still urges to binge, and sometimes I give in. But no doubt about it: it's a whole new ballgame when you're playing at 137 pounds and not at 286. I can use the tool I've been given and the tools I've learned, and reach out for help.

Where do I go from here? I'd like to maintain the weight I'm at. I want to become more comfortable eating around other people, which means concentrating on cutting my food, eating slowly and chewing more. There are significantly less PB's since the unfill. Could this be the sweet spot? Only time will tell. Eating with others will also mean giving up on cooking for myself so often, although I am my own favorite chef. Finally, I've got to do something about exercize. Can you believe I've managed to lose 149 pounds without hardly lifting a finger? Crazy. There are self worth – self esteem issues that have always stopped me from investing in myself this way. I've never been able to make it part of my life. Any feedback will be much appreciated.

My monthly support group here has pretty much dried up – here's hoping for new voices, insights and friendships.

- Bandpal

P.S. Pictures: 1 month pre surgery (Oct. 2007) and earlier this summer.

post-226984-1381313951684_thumb.jpg

post-226984-13813139517137_thumb.jpg

Edited by bandpal

Hi Bandpal, I am really happy to read your post this morning. I am at or near goal myself. I just got here. I say at or near because I am having a little indecision about my goal weight. I have my stated goal of 130 which I decided was my ultimate goal weight before surgery, but I went clothes shopping this past weekend and bought size 4 Levi's and realized I was at the size that I had thought would be perfect for me. So I decided I really don't need to lose the last 5 but I feel weird about changing my goal weight because I feel like I am giving up or cheating if I now say I am "at goal".

I am also considering a slight unfill, I have been slowly getting tighter over the last month or so, I have to eat slower and slower. Just this week, my husband pointed out my struggle to eat around others and this is very concerning to me, I do not want to end up with an eating disorder. Plus we have 3 teenagers who live in the house and I do not want to show a disordered eating example to them.

I have started an exercise program that is a cross training program that I do in the park. I didn't start exercising until I canceled my gym membership. I have been bloging about it, maybe something like that would be good for you since it is done outdoors and doesn't require being in a gym.

Your pictures are so impressive, I am going to have some professional pictures taken next week, I will post my near/at goal pics then. :)

I also have reached my goal after two years I started at 225lbs and down to 139 lbs I would still like to be 9 lbs lighter. But I am back in my 6 size after 15 so years of struggling with weight so I should be happy about it. But it is the numbers. I had some Fluid taken out so I am not as tight any more but yesterday I still throw up because I ate way to fast. Something after two years I still struggle with . I am happy best choice I ever made. I still have a Protein Shake for Breakfast not everyday but most. Never on the weekends though. I am working out but not as much as I should be....something i have to get back into. I only go once or twice since this month (August) started. I'm down the shore allot I think that has allot to do with it. I was walking in the morning but I stopped that to. Lazy lol I helps reading everyone's stories it really helps and makes you feel good. I shouldn't stress on this 9 lbs but I fel it will make my brain happy. lol :)

Thanks for the welcome and the feedback. Jachut, that sentence ("Because I do so much exercise, I can literally eat what I want and I have not gained an ounce in 2 and a half years") of yours is ringing in my head. I'm off to the workout room to see if I can handle 20 minutes of walking at 5mph. If I don't write back in two hours, call an ambulance...

So, the treadmill was being recharged. I settled for biking, did 18 minutes at no resistance, worked up a sweat (can't remember the last time I did that) and tried out some free weights for a minute or so. Hurray!

Edited by bandpal

Hi, I'm in size 6's for the first time in my life and I love it!! I don't care that I can't eat much to stay here. I think I have about 5 more pounds to lose.

good luck to you all,

Well, I was about 20 pounds from my "dream goal" but then I hit a plateau, and NOW I've gained 10 pounds, and I can't seem to get rid of it!! I'm terrified that I'm going to gain even more.

The weird thing is....I still have restriction, and it's very sporatic. Sometimes I can't eat anything, and other times, it seems I can eat WAY too much.

Has anyone else experienced this, or am I just a weirdo??

Thanks,

Donna

I'm at my goal weight of 148, losing 100 pounds from the start of my bariatric center journey in July 2009. I lost 30 pounds before surgery on 9/9/09 practicing my post surgery lifestyle.

I have also met the BMI set by my Dr. of 22.0. I never thought I would get down this far in a year.

My new goal is 140. I hope to spend this next year settling into whatever weight works for me, within the 140-145 range. So far, no gains since starting. I belong to T.O.P.S, and the weight recordings show various gains, but that's just clothing or Water weight of a quarter pound or so.

I still weigh myself at least once a day, and if I weigh several times a day, I see my weight fluctuate 5 pounds.